• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^Central Asian Shepherd or Afghan Koochee. They're all related to some extent, but I believe these are some of the most athletic.

What's interesting about that video is how easily the dogs are handled during a fight. Wouldn't want to screw with one on his own turf.

Nice looking dogs.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I was thinking it might be harder to find a "smaller" dog in that field but I'll definitely keep it in mind. I believe they're up for a dog. Its been a topic of conversation for some time now and they specifically chose this apartment because pets are allowed. I want them to get a dog so they have to get out of the house and walk it. Otherwise, they'll just sit inside and watch Law & Order re-runs all day long. I believe the cancer is relatively minor, thankfully, and not something that'll require constant care or keep them from moving around at all. I was thinking Pug or Beagle. Thoughts?
Beagle is a runner, so could be a pain **********. The problem with an older pug is that you could be looking at serious heatlh bills. Any of the smaller lapdogs or toy dogs is a good choice. But like jhcam said, the best bet is an older dog whose owner has just died. What does the person like. Take him/her to a shelter or even a dog show and see what they respond to. lefty

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
What's interesting about that video is how easily the dogs are handled during a fight.

lefty

I thought the same thing. It reminds me of the wrestling that you see in between many larger animals more than a fight to the death.
One thing I love about that video and the boar hunting videos is how totally happy the dogs look. Tails are wagging the whole time. Some would argue it's cruel but I have a hard time questioning that these dogs love doing what they were bred for.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe the narrator said the dog fought until one showed a sign of cowardice. You can see the handlers rush in and separate the dogs when one breaks. Also note that these dogs have a thick double coat and loose skin at the neck. Other than some superficial wounds they come out intact.

There are many sick bastards out there that do all kinds of vile things to dogs and other animals, but I don't think you can include these guys. The worst I saw was some "hunters" who secured a tame, declawed, defanged leopard and set 15 dogs on it until it was ripped apart.

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
I agree w/lefty - check the shelters for an older, small, low activity dog. There's a 10 yr old Maltese that just came up at our local shelter whose owner died. A perfect, low energy lap dog. Definitely NOT a beagle!
Beagle is a runner, so could be a pain **********. The problem with an older pug is that you could be looking at serious heatlh bills. Any of the smaller lapdogs or toy dogs is a good choice. But like jhcam said, the best bet is an older dog whose owner has just died. What does the person like. Take him/her to a shelter or even a dog show and see what they respond to. lefty
Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I'll relay this to them and keep you all updated.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many sick bastards out there that do all kinds of vile things to dogs and other animals, but I don't think you can include these guys. The worst I saw was some "hunters" who secured a tame, declawed, defanged leopard and set 15 dogs on it until it was ripped apart.

lefty

I saw that as well. They let out of a cage dehydrated and scared out of it's mind. The poor cat ran under the truck to hide and the ******* dogs just jumped it. The dumb **** owners were all worked up thinking they were bad ass. Still makes me sick and full of rage just thinking about it.

dmass1

Reaction score
Where did you both "see" this?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmass1
Where did you both "see" this?

What's with the quotes? I "saw" it online, youtube I believe but I could be wrong.

IronRock

Reaction score
Hunting with Hounds - yay or nay??

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Truffle hunting with one of the world's oldest water retrievers, the Lagotto Romagnolo:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
lefty

Gavin

Reaction score
Not sure how I've missed this thread for so long, but...SF, meet Sidney:
photo-7.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads