• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Ike

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, I'm building up my professional wardrobe, and AE is one of the better options in my price range.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a wingtip?
Santoni1.jpg

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown sport coat White shirt, navy tie (or a dark purple if you have to match, nothing shiny either) Wear grey trousers, dark brown shoes.

smarcus3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Brown sport coat White shirt, navy tie (or a dark purple if you have to match, nothing shiny either) Wear grey trousers, dark brown shoes.

I always thought to wear a lighter color of brown like khaki pants with a brown jacket. Is this wrong?

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smarcus3
I always thought to wear a lighter color of brown like khaki pants with a brown jacket. Is this wrong?

Could you post pics of the ties you have?

tombrokaw

Reaction score
I believe this is all of them.
IMG_20110404_012749.jpg
tie.png

I would say it's down to the white, light blue or that navy you have pictured, if that's one of your ties. The khaki probably eliminates the white so it's down to the blues. Just give them both the eye test to see which one looks more appropriate. Or is that purple and not navy? If it is then that works best on the lavender shirt I think.

smarcus3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tombrokaw
I would say it's down to the white, light blue or that navy you have pictured, if that's one of your ties. The khaki probably eliminates the white so it's down to the blues. Just give them both the eye test to see which one looks more appropriate. Or is that purple and not navy? If it is then that works best on the lavender shirt I think.
That last tie is purple with some dark dark blue kinda. Maybe like a dark plum.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
That last tie is purple with some dark dark blue kinda. Maybe like a dark plum.

I would definitely go with that then. Come to think of it that would work much better with your jacket as well. Much better than a light tie.

smarcus3

Reaction score
With the lavender shirt I assume.

Again thanks for your help.

Just as another general question, what color slacks/shirts/ties would you wear with my brown jacket. I always end up just wearing khaki.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
With the lavender shirt I assume.

Again thanks for your help.

Just as another general question, what color slacks/shirts/ties would you wear with my brown jacket. I always end up just wearing khaki.

I would generally wear jeans myself, but you are going to an event so khakis are more appropriate. Your entire outfit is a little dressed down to wear slacks, so I wouldn't do that either. Your jacket is pretty dark so I would try to wear light pants for the contrast.

Do you have white chinos? that would look pretty sharp. Is the weather nice and warm where you are?

smarcus3

Reaction score
Thanks. I normally wear jeans myself but the event is too formal for that.

Its actually chilling because I am heading up north, though I am not apposed to getting another pair of slacks. I have never heard of chinos. What are they / how are they different than khakis.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Thanks. I normally wear jeans myself but the event is too formal for that. Its actually chilling because I am heading up north, though I am not apposed to getting another pair of slacks. I have never heard of chinos. What are they / how are they different than khakis.
Same pants as khakis but just a different color. Check these out. http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/TheHer...s&origin=index They are on sale for $17 and lands end chinos are made of a soft, substantial material. I think you'd like them, but you'd generally wear white only on nice days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads