• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out?

I seem to always have issues buying belts. If I have a 31/32 size waist what would be the suggestions for a belt? I feel as if I can fit into a 32 but then I only have 1 notch left. If I wear a 34 it tends to be one of the last notches available.... is is recommended to wear a larger belt than waist size?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
But it is eminently comfortable when you have very high arches!
smile.gif

That's a fair point, but you might mention that your preference for bluchers is based on concessions to your particular situation rather than a stylistic ideal.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
That's a fair point, but you might mention that your preference for bluchers is based on concessions to your particular situation rather than a stylistic ideal.

Fair enough but the two shoes I pointed him to were Oxfords. He chose the blucher of his own accord. I don't like oxfords myself, neither aesthetically nor orthopaedically, but I accept that they are seen as more formal than bluchers.

It should be noted that in my opinion, 70 % of the population don't know the difference between the two and a further 20% could tell you the difference but don't know which is more formal, then there are 5% like me who know both of the above but prefer bluchers anyway and that leaves 5% who will see his patent bluchers and sniff at them being incorrect. In a room of 300 people that leaves 15 - not bad odds for shoe approval!
laugh.gif

indianshaft

Reaction score
Can you alter a half lined coat to make it bigger?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indianshaft
Can you alter a half lined coat to make it bigger?
Bigger in what dimension or way? Generally speaking, the way a coat is lined (fully, half, none) has no bearing on how it can be altered.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a dress belt to match a pair of Allen Edmonds McAllisters in Walnut.

I don't feel like dropping 100 on one of the AE belts, but I can't find an alternative in my waist size (30). Any suggestions?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a dress belt to match a pair of Allen Edmonds McAllisters in Walnut.

I don't feel like dropping 100 on one of the AE belts, but I can't find an alternative in my waist size (30). Any suggestions?

Damned good question. I need one in burgundy as well. (32)

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wait for the sale next week. There might be a better deal then.

Otherwise wear your walnuts and go to somewhere like Macy's where there is a huge belt selection and pick out one that's a close match.

smarcus3

Reaction score
I am having a semi-formal event coming up. Tell me if this combination sounds good or if I need to change something.

Brown sports jacket

123826FEZ_F10_CC.jpg

Khaki paints

Dress shirt with light lavender strips
513628SJ_S10_CC.jpg

What color tie?

Thanks and any input is appreciated.

My date's dress is purple.

Ike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Wait for the sale next week. There might be a better deal then.

Next week, eh? Didn't know, just dropped $100 on a merlot belt recently. Great quality though.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rich_202
Couple Questions about the Fitzgerald Fit:

What size would you choose for a person with the following measurements:

6'0
180 lbs
Chest: 41.75"
Shoulders: 19"
Waist: 33"

Also, If I fit a 44R in a Regent, would I also fit a 44R in the fitz?

I'm
6'0
210 lbs
chest : 42
shoulder : 19
waist : 34

I fit Fitzgerald 41R and regent 39R.....

Acer

Reaction score
SF approved, or are the lapels too honkin'?
461067090_o.jpg

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
When is the AE sale exactly? Starting Monday?

I got a card saying April 11th but it might just be select styles. IIRC last Columbus Day in October the whole inventory was on sale and that included out of stock items.

smarcus3

Reaction score
I also have an olive green suit that I could wear with maybe an off white shirt and a purple tie?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics