• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you exercise?

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
for those claiming to be fit, are you chiseled (well defined musculature) or are you just NOT FAT?
How would you define chiseled? sub 10% body fat? If so, not quite there yet. Being chiseled however does not necessarily mean you are fit as low body fat with good muscle definition can also be obtained through diet (check "the four hour body") A friend of mine who has roughly the same physique and weight as me is just a bit stronger (8-9 reps vs my 5-6 reps bench @ 90kg), has 7-8% body fat and runs 5k in 21 min. He puts a lot of effort into diet. I am at 12-13 % body fat and put more effort into running and less into diet. I run a 18 min 5k and am well on my way to a sub hour 15k. So although he is really ripped and I am not I am a lot faster. Who would you say is 'fitter'? *edit I run because I enjoy it a LOT! outside though, through the forrest....can't run, row or do any form of cardio longer than 5 min. in a gym. The gym it self is less fum but I go with a group of friends and the competitive aspect makes up for the boring exercises. Setting yourself goals and striving to achieve them is also fun in the gym though. Oh and Im a university student and kinda 'believe' in the whole "a sane mind in a healthy body" thing.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrillmess

Reaction score
Every one wants a healthy and a fit body but for that it is necessary for you to do exercise.Exercise make your body strong and disease free, it also help you to make your body flexible.

Syl

Reaction score
1) stress relief (I exercise at lunch and the break during the day really keeps me going)
2) Health. Heart attacks, diabetes and loads of other stuff run in my family.
3) Fitness (I enjoy keeping up with my daughter when we play)
4) Ego. I enjoy looking good. Mind you, I'm not chiseled, just "not fat".

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Please stop shilling the book by Ferris, it's pretty ridiculous.
Well the main lines (no starch, etc) don't seem too ridiculous to me although he takes some things a bit far. Its not the health bible but its not all bullshit either. Anyway, my main point is that being chiseled is mainly a combination between diet and cardio combined with (some) weight training and that those who put more effort into their diet needn't do as much cardio and vice versa to get ripped. I also happen to know an Olympic rower who eats pasta by the pounds on a daily base; he is @ 6-7% fat. As I said earlier a friend of mine puts a s**t load of effort into his diet and is at the same body fat % as the rower and he only does cardio a few times a week at the most.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can eat pasta by the pound if you burn 5000 calories a day as an Olympic rower or as a cyclist in the TdF.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly my point...there are various ways you can get ripped. (Thorpe eats that as well if I'm not mistaken) Anyway, this guy trained 2-4 hrs a day.
My critique is that being chiseled does not have to mean you are (very) fit if you use the 'diet' approach to get chiseled.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crat
Anyway, my main point is that being chiseled is mainly a combination between diet and cardio combined with (some) weight training and that those who put more effort into their diet needn't do as much cardio and vice versa to get ripped.

Yes, I agree. Obviously the more one trains, the more one can 'get away' with, concerning diet. For the average non-athlete though, this is a slippery slope. 2-4 hrs/day of specific training (weights, LISS, what have you) is pretty much reserved for those who are competitive athletes.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes that would be too time consuming for most people.
On the other side I do believe if you actively spend only 4 hrs (not because of the book) on sport a week (eg. weights 2x1h, hiit 2x 30 min and two 30 min runs) and you REALLY focus on your diet you can also get quite ripped.
Pounds of pasta will be out of the question in that case.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Society told me to look a certain way and so I do.

If it told me to look fat I would start eating donuts immediately.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tombrokaw
Society told me to look a certain way and so I do.

If it told me to look fat I would start eating donuts immediately.

So I am right in assuming you are ripped because at the moment that is how society says we should look?

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crat
So I am right in assuming you are ripped because at the moment that is how society says we should look?
Yes. I desire this appearance because it is socially acceptable and confers many advantages, most of which have been listed in this thread. I have no illusions that if society were turned on its head I would swim against the tide and still want to look ripped, etc. It is not at all convenient to keep a rigid diet and ensure that all the necessary muscle groups receive proper attention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads