• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Issues Paper available here::

http://www.pc.gov.au/projects/inquir...ndustry/issues

Some selected relevant quotes::

Originally Posted by PC p22
In common with many other countries, the Australian Government has set a threshold level for low value imports below which the Government will not seek to collect import duty and GST. Online purchases valued at less than $1000 imported into Australia (by private individuals or businesses) do not attract GST (10 per cent) or customs duty (for example, 10 per cent for clothing, 5 per cent for footwear). The only exceptions are for alcohol and tobacco on which import duty, GST and excise must be paid for all imports.

Prior to 2005 the threshold was $1000 for items carried by Australia Post and $250 for consignments arriving in Australia by private courier (i.e. non-postal items). The threshold for non-postal items was raised from $250 to its current level of $1000 on 12 October 2005, so the same threshold now applies to imports brought into Australia by either post or courier services.

Free trade agreements between Australia and some countries exempt many imports from those countries from Australian import duty (but not GST or excise).

Other countries’ thresholds

Other countries apply low value importation thresholds.

• New Zealand does not collect GST and duties if the taxes would be less than NZ$60 (A$44) — approximately NZ$400 (A$292) in terms of the value of the goods (NZ Customs Service 2011).
• A Canadian importer does not have to pay duties and taxes if a mail item is worth C$20 (A$20) or less.
• Most goods arriving in the United Kingdom from outside the EU are subject to customs duty, excise duty and import VAT. Commercial consignments valued at ₤18 (A$29) or less are free from import VAT (but not excise duty), and customs duty is payable if the value of the goods is over ₤135 (A$219), although the duty is waived if the amount of duty is less than ₤9 (A$14) (HM Revenue and Customs 2010).
• In Singapore, the threshold is S$400 (A$314), based on the value of the goods.
• The Commission understands that the entry threshold in Japan is JPY 10,000 (A$123).
• Hong Kong has no entry threshold limit at all — imports of any value come in duty and tax free.

In contrast to these approaches, all postal items from foreign countries to Switzerland are generally subject to duty and VAT.

Many foreign countries have different thresholds for gifts. In the United Kingdom items entering as gifts worth ₤40 (A$65) or less are free from customs duty and import VAT, but not excise. Goods entering Switzerland as gifts up to a value of SFr100 (A$110) are exempt from duty and VAT. Canada exempts gifts worth C$60 ($A61) or less. In New Zealand, customs charges are not payable on the first NZ$110 (A$80) in value of an unsolicited gift, and no revenue is collected if the total amount owing is less than NZ$60 (A$44).

New Zealand recently reviewed the threshold applying to imported goods (NZ Customs Service 2011). On 18 March 2011, Customs Minister Maurice Williamson announced that the de minimis level will remain at NZ$60 (A$44) (Williamson 2011).

Although thresholds in other countries are generally lower than in Australia, it has been suggested to the Commission that a number of countries do not enforce the collection of tax on low value postal imports.

While a lower threshold would subject more low value imports to GST and import duties the additional revenue collected would need to be considered against higher compliance costs for both Australian consumers and businesses and administration costs for the Government associated with the collection of the additional GST and duties. Not only would consumers and some businesses be subject to additional costs of GST, customs duty and import processing charges, they could also be subject to increased delays in receiving goods and might need to pay customs agents’ fees to facilitate correct assessment and payment of the relevant import duties.

In 2009, the Board of Taxation conducted a review which included some comments on the low value threshold. It concluded that any lowering of the threshold would likely increase administrative costs for the Government as more goods were brought into the customs system in order to account for GST and duty, and the additional costs were likely to outweigh any benefits. Moreover, consumers (and businesses) would have to pay disproportionately high costs including GST, duty and administrative charges to have their goods released from Customs compared to the actual value of the goods if the threshold were reduced (Board of Taxation 2010).

The number of parcels entering Australia under the low value importation threshold has risen in recent years and is likely to increase further as online shopping becomes more prevalent. In 2010-11, the GST revenue forgone has been estimated at $460 million, rising to $610 million in 2013-14, although Treasury noted that the estimate reliability was ‘low’ (Treasury 2011). A more accurate estimation of the GST revenue foregone may be possible at the completion of the current trial involving additional inspection of parcels imported under the low value threshold being carried out by Australian Customs.

A significant rise in the volume of small parcels entering Australia may also create new challenges for Customs and Border Protection and the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service in protecting Australia from the entry of prohibited items, and in recovering the costs of processing this increased volume of low valued parcels on an equitable basis.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Recently I scored a pair of Alden shell cordovan...never before in Australia at an op shop.

Been there, done that. Found a NOS pair of C&Js the same day.
smile.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
312926-gst-losses.jpg

From The Australian::
CYBER-SHOPPERS are costing the federal government $1.3 million a day by buying tax-free imports over the internet, the Treasury has revealed.

Lost revenue from the GST -- and the savings to consumers -- are forecast to grow 10 per cent each year to hit $610m by 2013-14.

This continues to miss the point. It's not the absence of GST that has me shopping online.

jobro

Reaction score
Sometimes I get the feeling that Australia is going to fall into shambles one day, especially living in Perth. People are paying ridiculous prices for everything. People are discovering you can get a lot more value for money in most other places in the world. My partner tells me that Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick bought a 1.7mil mansion in Calabasas, LA. You would pay 5-10 times that price for something here. Perth's train's cant fit enough people on them with the increasing petrol costs. These damn idiots want the Aussie dream home and live 20km out of town in this tiny city just so they can have a cheap patch of land with a backyard. There is no thought of saving to live in a modest home, they have to have it as their first, which spreads the small city population over a ridiculous amount of land. People then complain they can't get to work! The trains can't be upgraded easily due to the tunnels being too small for larger trains. They can't build any hotels because there is no land in the city, as soon as you go 1km out of the city it becomes these stupid "Australian Dream" homes built on 1acre blocks. Many people I know are just in Perth for the Mining boom, they don't invest here and they spend a minimal amount here. They lived and will live overseas/east before and after the boom is over, leaving Perth with its high prices for just about everything, and people will continue to pay it for reasons beyond me. My jobs even tied into it. I will be 'shipped out' as soon as it is over. Perth, where supply and demand does not function and the consumer is told what they are going to buy and how much they are going to pay for it. Another thing is the boat people. I respect that we should take asylum seekers, but they're just cruising straight into Christmas island and expecting citizenship/visas. We are just giving them out. When they are 'integrated' into society they continue to speak their foreign languages and distance themselves from 'Europeans'. I am not being racist here, but if we give someone our hospitality, is it not appropriate for them to learn our etiquette and pay respect? Some how they are instantly educated on their rights, but not their moral responsibility. Not one person involved in the fires in the Christmas Island detention center will be sent home or charged, they will be "integrated" into our community. Then, when they find themselves in trouble with the law they will get a translator and government funded legal aid, which not even Australian citizens are entitled to receive in most cases. /rant

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
This continues to miss the point. It's not the absence of GST that has me shopping online.

Certainly - the 10% difference wouldn't cause anyone to shop online.

The big issue for me is that any significant lowering of the threshold will impose all sorts of cost and these costs will be borne by the customer/punter/you/me.

The first obvious cost will be time - my books from Book Depository - now arrive within 5 or 6 days - on my doorstep - literally. (I ordered the latest Henning Mankell last night for $23 delivered. Hardback. Heres its $50+)

If the Post office or customs has to inspect every parcel for compliance then it will take an extra week. In addition someone has to pay for the inspection of all small parcels. All for $2.30 in this case. (I know that its unlikely to catch under $250 even at the most idiotic lowering)

If PO or Customs has to inspect parcels it will slow ALL incoming parcels down. So expect two weeks at least.

Then many overseas sellers will not want to be bothered by the formalities and will refuse to ship to Oz or will charge a premium.

Sellers will only ship through couriers that will take care of all paperwork - couriers will charge a premium for this - probably at least $50 per parcel. This is in addition to huge delivery fees - and requesting signatures etc.

It is entirely possible that any overseas purchase even BELOW the threshold (lets assume a new low threshold is $250) will take at least 2 weeks, possibly 3 weeks, to clear customs etc and it will cost $50 in paperwork /compliance fees plus $50 delivery and require you to go to a depot to sign for parcel.

All on $100 worth of shirts that are under the GST threshold so that the aus.gov collect no fee or income whatsoever for increased monitoring activity. It is likely that the customs will need to charge some processing fees to recoup costs for the non-GST triggering items.

All in all it means frustrating delays, greatly increased cash costs to consumers (delays are also a cost), SFA increased GST but it does result in punishing consumers for seeking to buy products not available in Australia and or ones - like my current book order that are over twice as expensive here.

It will also result in a "bad law" - that is, one that people seek to work around by declaring shoes from Pediwear or Herring or whoever as "gifts" from solicitous relatives in UK or HK.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CYBER-SHOPPERS are costing the federal government $1.3 million a day by buying tax-free imports over the internet, the Treasury has revealed. Lost revenue from the GST -- and the savings to consumers -- are forecast to grow 10 per cent each year to hit $610m by 2013-14.
This is a bit of typical media beat up. look at this nonsense:
The Treasury has calculated the exemption will save shoppers $460m in GST payments this year -- enough forgone revenue to pay for the government's promise to fix hospital waiting lists.
However even further down their own bloody article says: It says the commission "understands" that the average value of parcels entering Australia is less than $100 -- 10 times below the tax-free limit. That is - most - almost all - parcels are already under a very low GST triggering limit of $100. Even more would be under a $250 limit (the one most predicted if there is any lowering). That is the Lost revenue per day of $1.3m is complete bullshit - as it includes GST revenue on parcels below $100 - which is the majority of parcels and which is unlikely to be collected anyway. So if 80% (the average is $100 remember - I am here assuming its 80%) of parcels would be below any threshold anyway then this bullshit lost revenue of $1.3m would be less than $300,000 - not adding in compliance collection costs. The costs to document, collect, give receipts, fine people, track people down, store goods, liaise with overseas retailer etc would be enormous and easily exceed the revenue. Also from the Commission itself:
There is limited and inconsistent quantitative information concerning the size of online retailing in Australia. The ABS does not provide an aggregate estimate for online sales as a percentage of all retail sales of goods and services in the economy.
That is - no one knows what the figure is - make up your own.
Australian retailers could benefit from Australian consumers’ preference for using domestic websites. According to a recent survey commissioned by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), despite the increased availability of goods and services nternationally, online shoppers said they used Australian websites more often to purchase goods or services (68 per cent) than overseas sites (12 per cent). One of the major reasons for consumers preferring to purchase from Australian sites was a lack of trust in overseas websites (ACMA 2010).
What can I say - Gerry Harvey is an idiot. Tell us how its going in Ireland Gerry.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Another thing is the boat people. I respect that we should take asylum seekers, but they're just cruising straight into Christmas island and expecting citizenship/visas. We are just giving them out. When they are 'integrated' into society they continue to speak their foreign languages and distance themselves from 'Europeans'. I am not being racist here, but if we give someone our hospitality, is it not appropriate for them to learn our etiquette and pay respect? Some how they are instantly educated on their rights, but not their moral responsibility. Not one person involved in the fires in the Christmas Island detention center will be sent home or charged, they will be "integrated" into our community. Then, when they find themselves in trouble with the law they will get a translator and government funded legal aid, which not even Australian citizens are entitled to receive in most cases.
/rant

Thats just what my aboriginal mates say::

A bunch of criminals, convicts and low life from another culture came here on a boat.

Set up camp.

Bought in another language - never learnt the local languages - never paid respect - and the bastards are still here - but running the place.

that_80s_guy

Reaction score
They can't build any hotels because there is no land in the city, as soon as you go 1km out of the city it becomes these stupid "Australian Dream" homes built on 1acre blocks.

Where are these 1 acre blocks 1 km out of Perth City? Not sure if you have seen East Perth lately...

Many people I know are just in Perth for the Mining boom, they don't invest here and they spend a minimal amount here. They lived and will live overseas/east before and after the boom is over, leaving Perth with its high prices for just about everything, and people will continue to pay it for reasons beyond me. My jobs even tied into it. I will be 'shipped out' as soon as it is over.

Perth, where supply and demand does not function and the consumer is told what they are going to buy and how much they are going to pay for it.

Not sure about this - you cant just compare prices here with prices elsewhere. Look in other city centres around the world and tell me you can find affordable housing within a decent distance from the conservative business dress. In many places in the world, home ownership isnt even considered, as it is just out of reach of most people. Anyone prepared to work for it can own a home in Perth, and prices here arent out of sync with prices elsewhere around the country considering how remote Perth is. Sure some things here are more expensive, but we just dont have economies of scale they do elsewhere.

The commute in Perth is much less than other places in the world. Most people here wouldnt spend more than 30 minutes getting to work. It was a big deal getting the train out to Mandurah, and even that commute is less than other cities around the world. There are plenty of places where people travel daily in excess of 90 minutes each way. I will grant that the public transport system is woefully inadequate though.

Also, for every one of your mates that doesnt spend or invest in perth, there are dozens more cashed up bogans spending their entire paychecks on wine, women, and song (or at least beer, cars with big spoilers, and clothes with wicked skulls on them).

Comparing property prices in America is a little off as well since their whole economy is still reeling. That you can buy a McMansion in vegas for $300k has no correlation or valid comparison with buying a 3x1 townhouse 30kms from Perth for the same money.

The fact is Perth has crazy money going through it, so luxury items are going to cost more. It isnt about consumers being told what they have to pay, it is the very law of supply & demand in action.

In the words of the great Jim Rohn - "The problem isnt that things are too expensive, the problem is you cant afford them"

Dont take this any of this personally of course, I am simply a naive lover of capitalism and the purity of the free market!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by that_80s_guy
How do your aborginal mates feel about your hatred of males wearing shorts?
tongue.gif

One of them who is about twice as high and as wide as me only wears those bloody 3/4 length short/ longs things. Even in winter. I always stand about an arm length and a half away from him when I comment on his clothes - and I can run faster than him. We do look an odd couple together tho.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by that_80s_guy
Where are these 1 acre blocks 1 km out of Perth City?

Also, for every one of your mates that doesnt spend or invest in perth, there are dozens more cashed up bogans spending their entire paychecks on wine, women, and song (or at least beer, cars with big spoilers, and clothes with wicked skulls on them).

The fact is Perth has crazy money going through it, so luxury items are going to cost more. It isnt about consumers being told what they have to pay, it is the very law of supply & demand in action.

That is exactly my point, all prices are highly inflated because these bogans are going to pay that price, there is hardly any bargaining being done, they are paying the prices that the "luxury" products are asking. However, in most cases, these "luxury" products are not infact luxury. For example, they might go and buy the best suit at Myer or Tony Barlow and yes, these items may seem like luxuries but they are no where near a top product. They might go to an expensive restaurant but they are not getting a top product or good customer service (well rarely at least). These bogans do not question their purchases or make complaints, they take the inferior product or service as it is sold to them.

1 acre blocks are in South Perth, Como, Mt Lawley, Vic Park.

ryanohare

Reaction score
We can all debate this for forever and a day, but there is simply no way of justifying service - however wonderful it is - as a 66% mark up. No chance.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Out of interest, how much did the Chicago mob cost and did it take long?

Hey mate sorry for the late response. Here is the mob in Chicago that I used. From memory they charged $50 per hole I think.

http://www.withoutatrace.com/

Originally Posted by fxh
Any decent tailor will either be able to fix it or refer you to someone to fix it.

This is professional re-weaving. They take fibres from another part of the garment (or scraps in my case) and they reweave the cloth strand by strand rather than patching it up. I looked around in Melbourne and there was no one with that skill.

Originally Posted by fxh
Specially for some at the meetup - you know who youse are:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=234912

Thanks mate. I promise I will not search any threads about wedding attire before I post my questions on the board.

- A question I do have however is - does anyone on here have both Loake's and C&J's in their shoe collection? I am looking to buy my first pair of C&Js and want to get the sizing just right.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Hey mate sorry for the late response. Here is the mob in Chicago that I used. From memory they charged $50 per hole I think.

http://www.withoutatrace.com/

This is professional re-weaving. They take fibres from another part of the garment (or scraps in my case) and they reweave the cloth strand by strand rather than patching it up. I looked around in Melbourne and there was no one with that skill.

It used to be called invisible mending - ask around dry cleaners /tailors etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads