• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Gianni Versace wearing here?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love all the information in this thread. The old silk screenprinting was crazy. I need to watch more videos of it, only saw it once on the BBC special

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Wow, insta thread rescue here, thanks 90s fashion geeks. Now find me those white painted Helmut Lang boots!

ps: why is Matt in spoo's avatar?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Wow, insta thread rescue here, thanks 90s fashion geeks. Now find me those white painted Helmut Lang boots!

ps: why is Matt in spoo's avatar?

Which boots? Send me a pic/season.

Ive been on a SF meme avatar kick the past few weeks. Got plenty more to rotate through.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
with all due respect, fuk, spoo I'm seriously impressed. Ever seen a movie called Agent Zero? (Ben Stiller, Bill Pulman) - you just reminded me of Pullman's character, all slow, methodical and completely sure of what he knew.

Edit - oops, the movie's called The Zero Effect

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
with all due respect, fuk, spoo I'm seriously impressed. Ever seen a movie called Agent Zero? (Ben Stiller, Bill Pulman) - you just reminded me of Pullman's character, all slow, methodical and completely sure of what he knew.

Never saw the movie... funny thing is that I never ever come to SW&D
laugh.gif
I like it here!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
That shirt is a black 95% cotton 5% lycra shirt with 24k gold tipped collars and medusa points on the pockets. From the FW '92 or SS '93 collection, original retail about $750 or so. There have been several variations of this shirt on eBay over the past few months. There was also a version in leather to look out for. Pretty sure that exact shirt was listed and ended without a bid in January.

Here's a diffusion line one ('94) without the hardware in Indigo

Heres a similar one (not the one you want but almost) from '98 ish

That is Clapton in the back, at the post party for the runway show in Milan for the very collection that shirt was from. That pic is also the cover of Lowri Turner's horrible book on him, "Fashions Last Emperor".

I dont have that particular model, but if I ever come across one, I will let you know. Good luck with your search.

Originally Posted by macuser3of5
That is some godly knowledge dropped right there. Nice location too
wink.gif

Spoo,

Did you work for Versace? That is impressive and amazing.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want more?...
You take requests!?
devil.gif
You don't happen to have helmut lang cotton/silk jeans laying around do you?!
I have one of the last examples of a Gianni designed Oroton gown, from the Atelier 1995 collection that is just amazing. If anyone gives a ****, I can try and take pics.
Please do, 90s fashionz is a lot more interesting to me than what's up now. I would love to get my hands on that metal mesh stuff, since a lot of my experiences with metal-woven fabrics (Helmut Lang & Inox, Costume National and steel, etc) were less than stellar. Stuff got itchy, but it still looked cool, and I always wondered if there was a comfortable approach to this... The 'oroton' stuff sounds pretty nice. Had no idea Versace was such a pioneer in this kind of stuff. Will do more reading later.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ I dont have any HL around, but I can try and find some for you.

I used to have an Oroton mens suit. It was ******* insane. I wound up selling it, but it was a custom one of a kind piece made for an international pop star who is known for being flashy. It was a 5 pocket jean style pant, with a zip front collared jacket. Only problem was that they mixed the composition wrong in the Oroton and they used the heavier metal mesh - so the suit together weighed about 40lbs!! When I got it shipped to me, the box was almost falling out the bottom. Obviously he turned down payment for the suit because he could not wear it on stage... LOL. I sold it to a very happy dude in Germany.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo that is insane, my mind is blown

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I dont have any HL around, but I can try and find some for you.

I used to have an Oroton mens suit. It was ******* insane. I wound up selling it, but it was a custom one of a kind piece made for an international pop star who is known for being flashy. It was a 5 pocket jean style pant, with a zip front collared jacket. Only problem was that they mixed the composition wrong in the Oroton and they used the heavier metal mesh - so the suit together weighed about 40lbs!! When I got it shipped to me, the box was almost falling out the bottom. Obviously he turned down payment for the suit because he could not wear it on stage... LOL. I sold it to a very happy dude in Germany.

spoo i think this weeks WAYWN challenge should be.... vintage versace or whatever 90s brand ppl wore (helmut,gucci,etc)
tounge.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eddievddr10
spoo i think this weeks WAYWN challenge should be.... vintage versace or whatever 90s brand ppl wore (helmut,gucci,etc)
tounge.gif

Versace mainline used to be really nice, not just stuff like this, even the suits as well, no idea how they're these days. Is the top line Versace suit still made by Zegna Couture?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spoo is the walking Versace archive. Donatella has been known, following a particularly heavy weekend coke bender, to call up Spoo to ask about past seasons... because she simply can't remember.
lol8[1].gif
If we were having a 1990's revival, man oh man do I wish I still had some of my old Thierry Mugler stuff. Gaultier also did some amazing stuff in the 1990's... not just the mesh tops and men's skirts, mind you... And then Issey Miyake. Oh, man... nostalgia! Still, though, for me 1998-2003 were my "peak," not just because I was finally at an age to start working and buying stuff, but also because of who was working, and WHAT they were doing. Early Dior homme seasons, preceded by YSL RG, Helmut's peak years, Menichetti at Jil Sander, Prada's "techno" seasons...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Spoo is the walking Versace archive. Donatella has been known, following a particularly heavy weekend coke bender, to call up Spoo to ask about past seasons... because she simply can't remember.
lol8[1].gif

If we were having a 1990's revival, man oh man do I wish I still had some of my old Thierry Mugler stuff. Gaultier also did some amazing stuff in the 1990's... not just the mesh tops and men's skirts, mind you...

And then Issey Miyake. Oh, man... nostalgia! Still, though, for me 1998-2003 were my "peak," not just because I was finally at an age to start working and buying stuff, but also because of who was working, and WHAT they were doing. Early Dior homme seasons, preceded by YSL RG, Helmut's peak years, Menichetti at Jil Sander, Prada's "techno" seasons...

Gianfranco Ferre were also pretty good back in late 1990s, haven't seen them around for a while to be honest with you...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Gianfranco Ferre were also pretty good back in late 1990s, haven't seen them around for a while to be honest with you...
Oh, Ferre is back... or was. He had a lull for a long time, though continued to make very interesting things. It was poorly marketed and distributed, and ludicrously expensive, and not at all in line with the minimal chic of Prada, or the "sexy" chic of Gucci, so 1999-2007 or so, Ferre largely got eclipsed (except, strangely, for one season in AW06 when he did a phenomenal men's collection that got some attention). Ferre died in 2007 and two new designers took over, who have done some really wonderful collections and are putting it back on the map. HOWEVER, the prices stayed the same (i.e. more than Gucci, Prada, etc., between RTW and couture), and the distribution became even scarcer. Thus, it's hard stuff to find and shockingly expensive (like, say $10,000 for a padded leather jacket, $1200 for pants, and $3000 for a leather messenger bag.) There was also a period in the 1980's and 1990's where Ferre overlicensed, and they produced some really awful ****. This still gets sold on ebay and such a lot, and so the image was fairly diluted (GFF, Oaks Ferre, Ferre jeans, etc.) Mainline Ferre was, and is, amazing stuff. Imagine floor length crocodile coats with pagoda shoulders and couture construction. In the 1980's, though, fashion was all about the three "G"s... Gianni Versace, Giorgio Armani, and Gianfranco Ferre. Interesting to see that, really, only Armani has survived as a "major" player. Versace and Ferre have a decent name, but probably 1/100 the sales.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads