• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by derrickrose1
what does conservative business dress mean

Conservative Business Dress

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer Consistent Business Dress, but that's my take & not Sir Mantoni who is the holder of the rule book.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consistently Boring (you fill in the 'D')
smile.gif

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Greg, I think that looks great, well done.

Here's mine for the day.

IMAGE_040.jpg

You and medtech do the best with the skinny/fitted look out of anyone I've ever seen, on SF or in real life.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Consistently Boring (you fill in the 'D')
smile.gif

Consistently Boring Dreck? Just kidding, I honestly think conservative business dress is fantastic stuff. Dressing unexpectedly well within set rules/boundaries is IMO the highest expression of our art. As WAYWRN proves daily, literally anyone can dress to draw attention and/or plaudits from women (or easily awed men). It is always the easier path to say that 'the rules don't matter', to try for the 'pop', the 'peacock', to be a 'baller', to try to 'show personality' via one's dress, to make concessions to trendiness, or give in to the over-accumulation of goods - you end up dressing for other people. It takes real skill to create a concentrated wardrobe that is flexible within its inflexibility, and that is why I really appreciate this thread.

Azzurri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Consistently Boring Dreck?

Just kidding, I honestly think conservative business dress is fantastic stuff.

Dressing unexpectedly well within set rules/boundaries is IMO the highest expression of our art.

As WAYWRN proves daily, literally anyone can dress to draw attention and/or plaudits from women (or easily awed men). It is always the easier path to say that 'the rules don't matter', to try for the 'pop', the 'peacock', to be a 'baller', to try to 'show personality' via one's dress, to make concessions to trendiness, or give in to the over-accumulation of goods - you end up dressing for other people.

It takes real skill to create a concentrated wardrobe that is flexible within its inflexibility, and that is why I really appreciate this thread.

I agree with you. Very well-said.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dressing unexpectedly well within set rules/boundaries is IMO the highest expression of our art.

As WAYWRN proves daily, literally anyone can dress to draw attention and/or plaudits from women (or easily awed men). It is always the easier path to say that 'the rules don't matter', to try for the 'pop', the 'peacock', to be a 'baller', to try to 'show personality' via one's dress, to make concessions to trendiness, or give in to the over-accumulation of goods - you end up dressing for other people.

It takes real skill to create a concentrated wardrobe that is flexible within its inflexibility, and that is why I really appreciate this thread.

I somewhat agree but disagree (mainly based on some of the comments made as to why one doesn't do splashy even from time to time) that moving away from gray suits and light blue/white shirts doesn't necessarily mean one is dressing for others.

Many who do conservative business dress on the other hand are either dressing for others or not dressing for themselves because of others. And as far as having a concentrated wardrobe, remember I'm the guy who set limits on how many what I shall own at any given time. I can fit my clothing for 4 seasons in the small closet (wife got the big one).

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Animal Thug,

The way I see it is conservative business dress is dressing appropriately for the workplace. If I'm going out for dinner and drinks, etc I can let the pocket square pop or wear the crazy pants, etc.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Animal Thug,

The way I see it is conservative business dress is dressing appropriately for the workplace. If I'm going out for dinner and drinks, etc I can let the pocket square pop or wear the crazy pants, etc.

I do realize that in some work environments one has to be conservative but c'mon, I've heard: double cuff shirts are reserved for more senior partners only, stick to white & light blue shirts, etc. Say's who?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I do realize that in some work environments one has to be conservative but c'mon, I've heard: double cuff shirts are reserved for more senior partners only, stick to white & light blue shirts, etc. Say's who?

This mindset exists. One time I had 15 clients in the same company and there was a clear division of who wore what styles and even a distinction of where to shop.

What is UCBD? Can't figure out the U

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Looking good, Skinny. I really like the last combo with the yellow tie and loafers, too.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
I haven't generally liked the pinned collars but I think this looks great.

Originally Posted by sellahi22
You and medtech do the best with the skinny/fitted look out of anyone I've ever seen, on SF or in real life.

Thanks guys!

That's what I like about it, making the rules work for you and pushing boundries or even sticking to hard rules without boundry pushing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads