• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire Spring 2011 Big Black Book

mrbrioni

Reaction score
^What b & n did you pick this up at?

I have a long flight to Frankfurt on Sunday and would love to have some good reading material.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Found it, flipped through it, put it back on the shelf. Like the last spring edition, there are superficial sections on cars and watches, which I don't care about, and too few that feature clothes I'd wear. They make a noble attempt to explain how to use bold colors such as royal blue and magenta, but my tastes are leaning more toward the conservative business dress thread these days. Wrong point in the SF hype cycle.

I think, in fairness to Esquire, I'm just too set in my summer clothing ways. I'm more "rumpled linen" than urban peacock.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew must have really upped their advertising budget with Esquire. They're featured in what seems like every other "outfit."

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
J. Crew must have really upped their advertising budget with Esquire. They're featured in what seems like every other "outfit."

It is weird I think the best of J. Crew was what they came out with just before their media explosion about two falls ago. A lot of their patterns are overdone and the construction on their pieces is still the same as it has always been; lacking. They are becoming more or less a decent department store. I find myself going in to look at everything that is not J. Crew.

outline

Reaction score
J Crew in every other outfit? That's surely a "keeper" and money well wasted. I pre-payed online should've waited. I checked few places on the west side in nyc - nothing. In a horrible sea of american fashion magazines BBB is still a fish in a dead sea of overcommercialized monsters. I have to say it, I really like winter 2010 issue. I found something to read + few things surely inspired me. What else can you ask for?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just threw out all my old Big Black Books. They're worth a look and maybe buying, but most of the content of abiding value can be found in Esquire's hardbound Handbook of Style they put out a couple of years ago.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Read it today.

Meh....quite forgetful. Is this really the best that American fashion/style magazines can come up with?

Don't waste money buying.

I have them all going back to the beginning. Really went downhill when they went to 2x a year to make more money. Some of the how-to's an stuff are pretty neat, but nothing you couldn't find somewhere else. I like actual magazine, the stock, the photos, etc... and figure that instead of collecting National Geographic, I will collect these.

I saw GQ came out with their own version.....

outline

Reaction score
I can't believe this. How can you have so much time to make it right and so effortlessly ruin it. BBB just lost all the credibility in my eyes. Really wtf is this?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
I flipped through and passed. I'd pay $25 for something like this if it was really good. I suppose that's what Rake or Monocle are for but they aren't available at any bookstores that I'm aware of.

Monocle is available at Barnes & Nobles.

Originally Posted by jgold47
I have them all going back to the beginning. Really went downhill when they went to 2x a year to make more money. Some of the how-to's an stuff are pretty neat, but nothing you couldn't find somewhere else. I like actual magazine, the stock, the photos, etc... and figure that instead of collecting National Geographic, I will collect these.

I saw GQ came out with their own version.....

Try collecting the Japanese magazines like Men's Ex, Leon, or Mens Precious. These are truly worth "collecting" as they are full of pictures and understanding of Japanese is optional.

Originally Posted by outline
I can't believe this. How can you have so much time to make it right and so effortlessly ruin it. BBB just lost all the credibility in my eyes. Really wtf is this?

Credibility?
rolleyes.gif
Did they even have any to begin with?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I just threw out all my old Big Black Books. They're worth a look and maybe buying, but most of the content of abiding value can be found in Esquire's hardbound Handbook of Style they put out a couple of years ago.

Should have out them up on eBay. IIRC the first one was going for about $50 or more.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Should have out them up on eBay. IIRC the first one was going for about $50 or more.

Story of my life!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads