• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
I don't understand these numbers within parentheses - does it indicate sarcasm?

never understood them either.

And the Georgetown Barney's sucks dick. Also the rudest SA's I've ever come across.
It does sort of suck, but I found the SA I was dealing with that day actually friendly and helpful. Short asian dude. Don't remember his name. And I actually found something there I wanted. Can't say that about basically anywhere else in D.C.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg
It does sort of suck, but I found the SA I was dealing with that day actually friendly and helpful. Short asian dude. Don't remember his name. And I actually found something there I wanted. Can't say that about basically anywhere else in D.C.

the really gay one? yeah hes super nice but i thought he was a women's SA. he's very helpful to my gf but ive never seen him downstairs

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the best SA I've had at Gtown Barneys was Dante -- big dude, looks like a linebacker, has a voice to match.

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NameBack
Really? The Georgetown Barneys staff were really nice to me. Always super helpful, very attentive -- they even held an item for me for a week, after I couldn't make it for the regular 24-hour hold. I didn't even have to ask. I found the FH staff to be very nice and helpful as well, though. Are you sure y'all aren't just racist?
laugh.gif

I'm sure you're joking about the racist quip but nah, I'm black and all the times I went there someone of the same race was working in the men's section and never got any attention. Last time I went I kept being mean mugged by the SA. That said the women who work upstairs are always nice. Edit: If Dante's kind of light skinned that's probably who I'm talking about. Might've caught him on a bad day or something.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who's a good tailor in DC? I need a bunch of alterations on a bunch of jackets. My arms are short so almost every jacket I buy that fits me decent in the chest/shoulders is way too long in the sleeves. Plus I need some pants let out (or I need to start taking laxatives, whatever).

Any recs?

Oh, and I'm reiterating my question about pocket-squares. Where's a good place to pick up a few? Better to just order online?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you're joking about the racist quip but nah, I'm black and all the times I went there someone of the same race was working in the men's section and never got any attention. Last time I went I kept being mean mugged by the SA. That said the women who work upstairs are always nice.

man people on here getting all up and **** over some jokes. You black? who cares.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm tailors ... ive heard good things of Do's gtown and will fields but both are super expensive but apparently do amazing jobs (no personal experience). so if its for a labor intensive job or an expensive suit/item might be worth it to not f it up

ive used VIP custom tailors in downtown a few times for small jobs and they get the job done well and efficiently. its a korean mom and pop joint

for jeans ive used hamza simrick for a crotch blowout that mauro recommended and he did a great job

as for pocket squares theres always the typical brooks brothers and jpress for basic needs. i like alexander olch and you can buy that online direct or at retailers. olch doesnt do squares but rounds fyi

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you're joking about the racist quip but nah, I'm black and all the times I went there someone of the same race was working in the men's section and never got any attention. Last time I went I kept being mean mugged by the SA. That said the women who work upstairs are always nice.

Edit: If Dante's kind of light skinned that's probably who I'm talking about. Might've caught him on a bad day or something.

Nah, dark-skinned guy.

But yeah, I was kidding of course.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
man people on here getting all up and **** over some jokes. You black? who cares.

wh...what?

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
the really gay one? yeah hes super nice but i thought he was a women's SA. he's very helpful to my gf but ive never seen him downstairs

Yeah, I think that's him. Dunno, I guess he was downstairs that day.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was 100% self-explanatory. Yes the "you sure ya'll ain't racist" part was a joke, why was it necessary for him to ask? What does bringing his own skin color have to do with if he is racist or not? Black people only work at Barneys when he is there, great observation.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good drycleaner in the NoVa area? I don't trust leaving my suit with Zips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads