• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

puddin

Reaction score
bourbon was my go-to until they changed management, their best bartender left, the food went downhill, and they stopped offering the ostrich burger. still a decent spot, but nowhere near as good as it used to be.

esswhykay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by puddin
bourbon was my go-to until they changed management, their best bartender left, the food went downhill, and they stopped offering the ostrich burger. still a decent spot, but nowhere near as good as it used to be.
My thoughts exactly.

I still hit up Pharmacy from time to time (and Black Squirrel on the rare occasion) but I can't stomach much else on 18th Street.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pierce ,you were still in high school.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bourbon and the rooftop of Reef are probably the only bars I can regularly stomach in Adams Morgan. I used to go to Perry's alot last summer and the roof is great. Napoleon is good when I know who's DJing.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Owen Thomson?

Sad to hear about the food. I loved the meatloaf. Did Bourbon get a new chef?

Originally Posted by esswhykay
I still hit up Pharmacy from time to time (and Black Squirrel on the rare occasion) but I can't stomach much else on 18th Street.

Originally Posted by Jodum5
Bourbon and the rooftop of Reef are probably the only bars I can regularly stomach in Adams Morgan.
Look out for Jack Rose, opening in a little over two weeks. I'm calling it right now: it's the next big thing in DC.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Look out for Jack Rose, opening in a little over two weeks. I'm calling it right now: it's the next big thing in DC.

**** that place.* That used to be my gym until the owner of the building sold it out from under them.
plain.gif

* I'm not saying that it's not going to be a good place, but replacing a 24-hour boxing gym with yet another restaurant in an area that's already choked with them isn't exactly a boon to people living in the neighborhood; it just increases the traffic from the 'burbs that already overwhelms Adams Morgan.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
**** that place.* That used to be my gym until the owner of the building sold it out from under them.
plain.gif

* I'm not saying that it's not going to be a good place, but replacing a 24-hour boxing gym with yet another restaurant in an area that's already choked with them isn't exactly a boon to people living in the neighborhood; it just increases the traffic from the 'burbs that already overwhelms Adams Morgan.

I liked Third Power; I took a really great boxing boot camp there a few years ago. It was clear that the gym was not making as much money for the building owner as another business could. If a sale is inevitable, I'd rather that the new business be a nice restaurant, which is surprising scarce in Adams Morgan, than a dive bar that serves jello shots to twenty-somethings.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I'd rather that the new business be a nice restaurant, which is surprising scarce in Adams Morgan, than a dive bar that serves jello shots to twenty-somethings.

laugh.gif
Very true.

I can understand the financial justification for the sale; I mostly just didn't like having to join another gym. Fortunately, Hard (or whatever the dubious-sounding name was) opened up around the corner from my place at the time, so I didn't have to join Mint (shudder).

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's a good place to go to get pocket squares?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Georgetown and NW this weekend and will take notes on what's come in at Barneys. Also plan to swing through Lost Boys. REAL excited after reading this review! (10)

So remember how I said this is the best boutique I've been to outside of Manhattan?

I lied.

This is best men's boutique I've been to. Period.

Not only are the clothes here ever changing, a testament to Kelly's dedication and hard work, but the way she's able to offer personalized attention and really understand your style and what you're looking for truly make this a unique shopping experience.

The bottom line is, if you have any sense of style at all, you're doing yourself a disservice by not coming here.
Scratch that.

If you have zero sense of style, you're REALLY doing yourself a disservice by not coming here.... let Kelly work her magic and get you all situated.

Blog Marley

Reaction score
I don't understand these numbers within parentheses - does it indicate sarcasm? Either way, I find any of that Lost Boys review hard to believe, I haven't been in a while but when I was the selection was small and they had a bunch of last season items at full retail. That said Kelly was pretty nice the last time I was there.

And the Georgetown Barney's sucks dick. Also the rudest SA's I've ever come across.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
And the Georgetown Barney's sucks dick. Also the rudest SA's I've ever come across.
its a CO-OP, friendship one has a really cool dude working in it.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah selection is blah at co-op and honestly not that much better at friendship heights. but agree the SAs at fh are better. theres these two cool asian guys (im fairly certain they are korean) who helped me out last week

that review of lost boys is hype imo. great service and 1on1 attention can only go so far. shes really nice and knows the brands she carries

that being said selection is tiny and half of the brands she carries are not on my radar

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
I don't understand these numbers within parentheses - does it indicate sarcasm? Either way, I find any of that Lost Boys review hard to believe, I haven't been in a while but when I was the selection was small and they had a bunch of last season items at full retail. That said Kelly was pretty nice the last time I was there.

Really? The Georgetown Barneys staff were really nice to me. Always super helpful, very attentive -- they even held an item for me for a week, after I couldn't make it for the regular 24-hour hold. I didn't even have to ask.

I found the FH staff to be very nice and helpful as well, though.

Are you sure y'all aren't just racist?
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads