• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teach me about the PS3!!!

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I am finally picking up a PS3 tomorrow. I am getting the Killzone 3 bundle. I have a Wii and 360 so this will be new to me. I am excited about the Blueray player being on it. What do you like and dislike about PS3? Any tips or ideas on good games? I hear everyone complaining that the online play is crap. Is that true?

humza

Reaction score
You should try playing Uncharted 1 and 2 as well as Metal Gear Solid 4. Phenomenal games. From my experience, the online isn't crap but multi-platform developers sometimes gloss over the PS3 version of a game (Black Ops a perfect example). Killzone 3 is a lot of fun with friends, alone not so much.

It doesn't hurt that you also have the best blu ray player on the market. You can skim through here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=48404 for some other titles I'm sure.

You can add me as well for Killzone 3. My PSN ID is Azmuh

bob_gnarly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy
I am finally picking up a PS3 tomorrow. I am getting the Killzone 3 bundle. I have a Wii and 360 so this will be new to me. I am excited about the Blueray player being on it. What do you like and dislike about PS3? Any tips or ideas on good games? I hear everyone complaining that the online play is crap. Is that true?
You get what you pay for
mwink[1].gif
. I almost bought a ps3 just because I wanted to play killzone 3. It looks pretty badass.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the pleasant surprises about the PS3 for me is that Blu Rays, unlike DVDs, hold up very well. I have no qualms about buying used Blu-Rays on the Internet since they don't have any scratches.

ruzzi

Reaction score
good media playa too for playing 'downloads' - stick the file on a usb stick and plug in or download ps3 media server to your laptop/file server

good upscaler - upscales dvds and sd files to 1080p (not great but good enough)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
PS3 is fail.

XBox is winner.

Brown is for farmer.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I feel like i have to have all 3 due tot he fact there are games I have to play for each system. I am going to trade Killzone 3 for Black ops I think. I will let you know how I like it.

alexanduh

Reaction score
bud you got too much time. use it wisely.

humza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy
I feel like i have to have all 3 due tot he fact there are games I have to play for each system. I am going to trade Killzone 3 for Black ops I think. I will let you know how I like it.
I don't know about now, but when I was playing Black Ops when it first came out, there were serious problems with matchmaking, lag, glitches, unable to join parties, being kicked from games, etc. Treyarch made the game virtually unplayable on the PS3. That's what made me ditch it and get Killzone 3. You should make sure first that those problems are fixed before you get BO or else you will rage (raging in CoD from anything other than the game play is unacceptable). Hopefully the next CoD will be a bit better..

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP, get a 3DS instead.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you already have an Xbox, then a PS3 is a good investment IMO. I think you will find, however, that you use the PS3 mostly for blu-rays and the occasional exclusive. The 360 is an inferior machine
(the noises that it makes when it's running are always worrisome), but has more games and the games that are multiplatform are usually ported from the 360 and run much better on their native platform. And yeah, the Playstation Network is terrible compared to Live.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
PS3 is fail.

XBox is winner.

Brown is for farmer.

Love my PS3 and sold my X360.

Uncharted 1 and 2 are great. MGS4 too. God of War 3. Also the new Mortal Kombat is looking amazing.

Dibidoolandas

Reaction score
I own Wii, 360, and PS3. The Wii and other two are kind of in different classes, so I'll say between the 360 and PS3 I end up playing my PS3 a lot more. Granted I've always been a SONY fanboy, but there are a few reasons I keep going back to it: Rechargeable controller, wifi connectivity, free online play, and the main reason, my 360 keeps breaking. It red-ringed sometime around 2008 and now it just won't read discs. But the both have good libraries.

Definitely get Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, and if you like moody, story-based games, Heavy Rain is pretty great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads