• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ferrari 458 photos unveiled

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
A black 458 instead of a red one? I think the physics of the car's performance envelope pretty much dictate what the car has to look like. You could probably tone down a curve here and there, and maybe it could be a little quieter, but that car looks like it does because it has to.

I think that's more Porsche than Ferrari, which is why Porsches look good, but none are really beautiful - they engineer the car and just sketch a few lines around the result and don't seem to care much what it looks like; only the 928 designed by Tony Lapine has any style.

Ferrari gives the design houses a much freer hand.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I think that's more Porsche than Ferrari, which is why Porsches look good, but none are really beautiful - they engineer the car and just sketch a few lines around the result and don't seem to care much what it looks like; only the 928 designed by Tony Lapine has any style.

Ferrari gives the design houses a much freer hand.

Porsches are styled how they are because they are afraid that if they deviate from the bugeyed stylings of the original people won't buy them. Their designs are very compromised for marketing purposes. The 458 OTOH is less compromised and def more purpose driven in design.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Porsches are styled how they are because they are afraid that if they deviate from the bugeyed stylings of the original people won't buy them. Their designs are very compromised for marketing purposes.

The 458 OTOH is less compromised and def more purpose driven in design.

I would agree and disagree with this. Some aspects of Porsche design, like the rear-engine config and their over-long adherence to air-cooled engines, are detrimental to their cars' performance. On the other hand, they do keep very good continuity with the look of their cars, and they are immediately identifiable.

But I also have to admire them for pouring as much effort and money into antiquated designs and making them some of the fastest and most competitive cars in the business. Often, the way to success is to just chip a way a little bit at a time, and do it for 50 years. Intel did it with the x86/Pentium/Core, GM with their small-block V8s, and Porsche's done it with their 911.

--Andre

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose a bit of it is adherence to heritage, and it is definitely cool to see how far they have taken the RR platform. But the fact that for example the Cayman S tied lap times with the Carrera 2S in C&D's latest Lightning Lap, despite a 60-70HP deficit, speaks volumes. That the 911 & not the Boxster/Cayman platform is top dog kind of doesn't make sense to me.... But in no way am I trying to slight Porsche's accomplishments; I am just a little
confused.gif
about their model hierarchy

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
I suppose a bit of it is adherence to heritage, and it is definitely cool to see how far they have taken the RR platform. But the fact that for example the Cayman S tied lap times with the Carrera 2S in C&D's latest Lightning Lap, despite a 60-70HP deficit, speaks volumes. That the 911 & not the Boxster/Cayman platform is top dog kind of doesn't make sense to me.... But in no way am I trying to slight Porsche's accomplishments; I am just a little
confused.gif
about their model hierarchy

Didn't you note that the two little rear 'seats' on the 911 cost $29,000 to make... for realz.

foulard

Reaction score
Porsche is stuck with the 911 period. But in the last 10 years they have been adding to their lineup dramatically so its not a one model lineup. After they dropped the 928 (big mistake) it was a 911 or nothing for a while.

They have tried to free up design a bit with the Carrera GT and the new 918 Spyder. But now they're really talking because they might bring back the 928 which will basically be a two door version of the Panamera.

But lets face it the new 458 is hot.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Off topic of the 458, but I didnt want to start a new thread.

I drove the 599 California today. It is a ******* rocket ship. The most amazing sensory experience I have had. Translation = I came a little.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kookz
The 458 Challenge at Ferrari's driving school in Italy. Looks great lower and on real rubber.
754317458%20challenge.JPG

The 458 is absolutely gorgeous. It was done a bit of a disservice early on with some bad pics from bad angles that made it look a bit awkward, but as Jeremy Clarkson said, it's the first properly pretty Ferrari in a long time. The fact that's it's so flawless technically is a bonus. I just about cream my pants every time I look at it, and in the past i've been more of a Lambo fan.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

bck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Off topic of the 458, but I didnt want to start a new thread. I drove the 599 California today. It is a ******* rocket ship. The most amazing sensory experience I have had. Translation = I came a little.
What is a 599 California? Boy, I bet that thing is fast.
facepalm.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bck
What is a 599 California? Boy, I bet that thing is fast.
facepalm.gif

Its a 599 as a hardtop convertible. It was ******* insane. Theres a launch button (seriously) that you use if you plan on nailing it off the line. I cannot imagine taking off in a NASA spaceship feeling any less exciting. Just wow.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Its a 599 as a hardtop convertible. It was ******* insane. Theres a launch button (seriously) that you use if you plan on nailing it off the line. I cannot imagine taking off in a NASA spaceship feeling any less exciting. Just wow.

There is no such car. It is just called a California. It has nothing to do with the 599.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads