• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why would anyone choose a rinsed denim over a raw denim?

stretch1

Reaction score
Okay I know some people like to buy pre-distressed jeans so that they have that worn-in look when already bought, but why would someone ever prefer a rinsed denim with no fading/distressing over a regular raw denim? Does rinsed denim distress the same way as raw?

Sorry I know the questions are kind of noobish but I'm learning, and btw I don't like the pre-distressed jean look I'm just wondering.

gats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stretch1
why would someone ever prefer a rinsed denim with no fading/distressing over a regular raw denim?

Some people just prefer denim dark and that won't fade or look distressed, it's completely a matter of taste

dawei94

Reaction score
They don't have easy access to a washing machine?
They don't want to soak/wash for an hour or 2 and wait for it to dry before wearing?

madmadigan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gats
Some people just prefer denim dark and that won't fade or look distressed, it's completely a matter of taste

Just because the denim has been "rinsed" doesn't mean it won't fade or distress over time. Unsanforized denim will shrink when it hits water, that's why most people do it before wearing them. Usually unsanf denim fits a little big all over when new (even when you purchase the correct size). Soaking/rinsing shrinks them down and they still fade over time.

Denim that is sanforized to begin with, doesn't really need to be soaked, it's just a personal preference. So if a certain brand sells a raw denim that IS sanforized, and has been rinsed, it's really just to make them a little less stiff/rigid, and remove some startch that's in them since they were made. They will still fade like regular non rinsed denim, however the fades might be slightly less contrasty in the end, just cause the denim was a little less rigid from the rinse. However, whether they will be less contrasty is probably a matter of opinon and it shouldn't really matter in the end.

My .02 cents.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dawei94
They don't have easy access to a washing machine? They don't want to soak/wash for an hour or 2 and wait for it to dry before wearing?
I referred to sizing certainty when when buying from an online source. Lot's of denim shops in Japan offer washing services for raw denim when you buy in person...not everyone has the luxury of spending a few hours on a pair of jeans.

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wondered this once. But now that I have a ton of pants, I just never wear any of my raws :shrug:

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Washes change denim texture, weight, drape, stacking, etc that isn't the same as raw denim. I tend to prefer the look of tastefully washed/distressed denim to raw.

SwiftLearner

Reaction score
Because no matter what I do to a pair of raw denim jeans, they are never going to look as cool as my prewashed Diors.

hastur

Reaction score
a lot of raws are unsanforized and tbh the idea of spending $300+ on a pair of unsanforized jeans that may or may not fit after a soak/break in doesn't really sit well with me. i do have a few pairs (n&f mostly) but i just can't really bring myself to pull the trigger on some of the japanese brands because of this.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone ever choose a red shirt over a blue shirt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads