• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'd love to try a pair of modified last boots. How does the last fit/sizing run compared to other lasts?

I see from the description of the last that it addresses foot pronation, which would undoubtedly be helpful to me.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^About a half size large, roomy in the toe, snug in the heel, with a lot of arch support.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
^About a half size large, roomy in the toe, snug in the heel, with a lot of arch support.

This sounds ideal. Need to look into this last.

Renton

Reaction score
If I can figure out my sizing, I'd be pretty interested.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg

Exactly. It hugs the instep, far more than other any Alden last, with plenty of wiggle room in the toe, quite a rare combination.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Count me in. I was lucky enough to get a pair of shell boots on the Modified Last...sublime is not the word. At the Alden store in NYC, they told me they could do a special make-up for a Ravello LWB on the Modified...I wound up not having the dough at the time, but maybe we can get this off the ground.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope that none of you will take this the wrong way, but I would probably kill you all for the chance to get my hands on something in whiskey cordovan in a 10C on the modified last.

lookaround.gif

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
+1 - kind of like Barrie but with a supportive instep? Sounds interesting, and I'd love to try it!

A supportive instep and lacking the stupidly huge heel of the Barrie.

scratchline

Reaction score
Please add me to the list. Visited Moulded Shoe a couple of weeks ago and they are the best. Am wearing my Modified Last Aldens right now. Would LOVE to see some special make-up shell boots available. Thanks for the effort.

-Mike

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, the modified last looks like a clown shoe. Don't get me wrong, this last is comfortable, but I imagine my grandma's orthopedic shoes are too. It looks like someone put a balloon in the end of the shoe, and blew up the toe box. None of the pics posted show this, but I have owned a couple pair. The last looked like something you would wear if you had a swollen/broken toe.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
To me, the modified last looks like a clown shoe. Don't get me wrong, this last is comfortable, but I imagine my grandma's orthopedic shoes are too. It looks like someone put a balloon in the end of the shoe, and blew up the toe box. None of the pics posted show this, but I have owned a couple pair. The last looked like something you would wear if you had a swollen/broken toe.

That's true for some models but not for others. It seems to depend on the cut and pattern of the particular piece. It's not the case with the boots I own.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222

Seriously? Do you not see those boots I posted?

They are even better in person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads