• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Move over, Mr Getty

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This new museum in Mexico looks a little mind-blowing.

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Hard to tell on just two small photos.

One of which has a strong resemblance to a distorted bathroom floor.

Hexagon tile overload.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Vomit. This building is a goddamn abortion. It's really one of the shittiest pieces of architecture I've ever seen. From the architect's website:
Museum buildings tend to opt for maximum functionality, in which case they are basically boxes or containers for art; or they are conceived as iconic buildings that represent a city at a particular historic moment. The Museo Soumaya, however, was conceived as a sculptural building that is unique and contemporary, yet serves to house a collection of international paintings, sculptures, and decorative objects dating from the fourteenth century to the present.
If you translate that from bullshit to English it reads, "I wanted to make a really badass, futuristic-looking shape to impress the people that are too stupid to realize how pointless is." Why the **** would you cover five stories of stacked galleries with an opaque aluminum facade? The galleries don't get natural light that way, so you have to view Rodin under purple lights. Purple lights! The top level has a skylight, but it's still so ******* dark it takes 80 fluorescent light tubes to just read the nameplate. The garage of your average NAPA Auto Parts store has better art-viewing characteristics.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
The-Soumaya-museum-03.jpg
The-Soumaya-museum-05.jpg
showcase_soumaya_museum_05x.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you think about Calatrava's Milwaukee Museum of Art?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's like a bad, terribly ripped-off version of the Guggenheim (NYC). I agree with StephenHero (for the first and probably only time) that viewing a Rodin under purple lights is un-*******-acceptable, even if there is a good chance that its not a real Rodin and was made after his death.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
This new museum in Mexico looks a little mind-blowing.
I really thought it would be difficult for me to see a museum that I disliked more than the Experience Music Project.

And now, here is one. Absolutely horrendous.

Originally Posted by StephenHero
Vomit. This building is a goddamn abortion. It's really one of the shittiest pieces of architecture I've ever seen.
I agree. I haven't seen it in person, but this building looks like a complete failure on almost every level. Barragan must be rolling over in his grave.

Originally Posted by Kent Wang
What do you think about Calatrava's Milwaukee Museum of Art?
There is no comparison between that building and this one. Opinions on the Pavilion may vary, but that building works well, and is a good addition to the adjacent Saarinen building, in my opinion.

This museum looks like a complete abomination on so many levels.

Originally Posted by imageWIS
It's like a bad, terribly ripped-off version of the Guggenheim (NYC).
That's really unfair to the GMNY. The only similarity I see is the word "piece".
The Guggenheim is a masterpiece; this building is a *************.
smile.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
There is no comparison between that building and this one. Opinions on the Pavilion may vary, but that building works well, and is a good addition to the adjacent Saarinen building, in my opinion.
I think it's a masterpiece too and Calatrava is my favorite architect, but it seems completely non-functional. All the art is in the Saarinen building, which also has no natural light. With the Soumaya, other than the purple light Rodin, I don't actually see anything wrong with it. There aren't many photos to judge from.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a masterpiece too and Calatrava is my favorite architect, but it seems completely non-functional. All the art is in the Saarinen building, which also has no natural light.
Non-functional in what way?

I think there is a lot of confusion over the Calatrava building, because people call it the "Milwaukee Art Museum" and it is obviously now the "face"of the museum. However, it was never intended to be the "museum". All the art is still housed in the Saarinen "War Memorial" and the David Kahler addition, because that was the program all along. The Calatrava "Quadracci Pavilion" was intended to give the museum a more public identity and, more importantly, serve as the grand entrance and house primarily public spaces, all of which it does very well.

With the Soumaya, other than the purple light Rodin, I don't actually see anything wrong with it. There aren't many photos to judge from.

There are other photos of the Museo Soumaya, in construction primarily, but some finished, on Google. In context, without having seen it in person, it looks really bad to me. It looks completely lost, has a very strange scale, a very forced form, little or no relationship to its neighbors, and the little (if any) public space around it looks straight out of Brasilia, abysmal....

That little black hole, there at the end of the stair-ramp? Apparently, that's the main entrance....
ffffuuuu.gif

Museo-Soumaya-04.jpg

48007495.jpg

soumaya%252C+plaza+carso%252C+jumex%252C+ferrocarril%252C+cuernavaca%252C+mexico%252C+city%252C+erevank%252C+argel%252C+art%252C+panoramica%252C+landscape%252C+photography%252C+urban%252C+tren+street%252C+arquitectura%252C+museos%252C+polanco%252C.JPG

securedownload.png

carlos-slims-new-museo-soumaya-musem_ngEQy_48.jpg
220px-06_MuseoSoumayaFREE_FernandoRomero_photo_by_Adam_Wiseman-1.jpg

imagesCARAE0SM.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think there is a lot of confusion over the Calatrava building, because people call it the "Milwaukee Art Museum" and it is obviously now the "face"of the museum. However, it was never intended to be the "museum". All the art is still housed in the Saarinen "War Memorial" and the David Kahler addition, because that was the program all along. The Calatrava "Quadracci Pavilion" was intended to give the museum a more public identity and, more importantly, serve as the grand entrance and house primarily public spaces, all of which it does very well.
I see. It just seems like a huge waste of money to build what is just a big lobby. Really, I think it could qualify as a folly. Looks great, sure.
There are other photos of the Museo Soumaya, in construction primarily, but some finished, on Google. In context, without having seen it in person, it looks really bad to me. It looks completely lost, has a very strange scale, a very forced form, little or no relationship to its neighbors, and the little (if any) public space around it looks straight out of Brasilia, abysmal....
Those photos look good to me. I also like what I've seen of Brasilia. I think a lot of what you said could apply to the New York Guggenheim, and I like that a lot as well. I'll tell you what I don't like (and what this museum looks better than), Daniel Libeskind.

mink31

Reaction score
Looks like this guy's head (from Robocop):

cain1-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads