• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
It looks like J.Crew may have some cool Aldens for the fall? Check out their fall preview:

http://the189.com/style/fashion/j-cr...-presentation/

Some of those are the Crockett and Jones Coniston boots (like the one in this link http://the189.com/wordpress/wp-conte...entation-9.jpg)

J Crew sells a tan one now. These look darker in the photos, but I'm not sure if that's just the lighting.

They already carry the cordovan longwing that got the closeup in this photo lineup.

The suede wingtip boot looks like its Alden (looks like Alden's crepe sole)

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's Cordovan (the one they currently carry), not at this price:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/we...lden/18580.jsp

They sell the cordovan in some of the NY stores at $560 if I remember correctly. They don't sell it online for whatever reason. You can probably call the NY stores to order them (but it's just the regular #8 longwing that can be purchases anywhere)

CEE88

Reaction score
Rangers rule

ADNYJ.jpg

Notes:

Alden 73030 Ranger Mocc a/k/a "The traditional American country walking shoe."

(Handsomely) crafted in smooth tobacco Horween Chamois leather, heavily oiled.

Hand sewn mocc toe and unique quarter construction, natural plantation crepe rubber sole, give these shoes a time-honored New England look.

Van last.

360 degree regular (flat, as opposed to reverse) welt, brown metal eyelets, flat wax laces, full leather linings, natural cork insole, full heel counters and steel shank through the arch.

Current status: second only to my 94320C Clipper oxfords (also - my only Aldens guaranteed to receive compliments every time they're worn)

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
Current status: second only to my 94320C Clipper oxfords (also - my only Aldens guaranteed to receive compliments every time they're worn)

It would be interesting if everyone would state which of their Aldens get the most compliments from laypersons. Sometimes, shoes like these or the Chromexcel Indy's seem to get more reaction from people on the street than a lot of the cordovan shoes.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did you get a larger size in the boots? Did they feel too tight keeping them at your normal shoe size?

the J crew store only had an 8D, no 7.5D and when I tried them on, they fit surprisingly well. I have about 5-6 pairs of Barrie last Aldens, some boots/some shoes. Some are 7.5 D and some are 8 D. It's just down to the style of the pair.

At this point, I take it that most members here can narrow down their Alden size to 0.5. So at the worst if you can't try on a particular pair, then try to order the two sizes you think will fit best and return the other pair. Good luck.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear a size 9 in trubalance you may wanna check out the street wear bs forum. A guy has some LS #8 jumper boots in great condition for only $425.

BTW, I have no affiliation with the seller, just lookin out for Alden heads.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
It would be interesting if everyone would state which of their Aldens get the most compliments from laypersons. Sometimes, shoes like these or the Chromexcel Indy's seem to get more reaction from people on the street than a lot of the cordovan shoes.
For me, it's the cigar LWB's.

I got several "Are those Redwings?" with my Indy's.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My regular Indy's gets the most compliments out of all my boots. People always ask me where I got it from but is usually followed by a cringe once they find out the price.

lithdoc

Reaction score
I would like to get a pair of Alden 405s. However, in AE I wear size 14E. Any chance of me getting a pair of aldens in that size?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithdoc
I would like to get a pair of Alden 405s. However, in AE I wear size 14E. Any chance of me getting a pair of aldens in that size?

They are available up to size 15, you just need to contact a store to order them for you.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renton
hmm, sounds like a 10.5 EE in the Barrie & Trubalance will mean a 10.5EE in the modified. Right?

Maybe. I don't size down for Trubalance (don't know my size in Barrie), but I half-size down for modified last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics