• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-traditional, non "9-to-5" ways of earning a living.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I am the man, which is much more interesting than working for me.

Same here. I'm often envious of my employees.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
I thought about robbing small time pot dealers, I live in a college town, so I think I could make a good living out of it.

omar-the-wire.jpg

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Here's the thing, for 99% of people who strike out on their own, they will be doing exactly the same thing as when they were employed. It's mostly not some magically different type of work.

i always assumed it was doing what you used to do for 50 hours a week and then spending an extra 30 hours a week doing all the stuff your old company employed whole departments to deal with, accounting, payroll, legal, tax etc etc etc

as much as i love the idea of working for myself, i hate the idea of dealing with all that stuff which i have no exeperience or interest in.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't really had a 'boss' since my early '20s. Help run the family construction business most of the time, hustle side-jobs and Ebay for the rest of my income. I'm fairly poor and have no insurance - but I also have zero job-related stress and if I feel like taking the afternoon off to meditate or work on a personal project I usually can.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
i always assumed it was doing what you used to do for 50 hours a week and then spending an extra 30 hours a week doing all the stuff your old company employed whole departments to deal with, accounting, payroll, legal, tax etc etc etc as much as i love the idea of working for myself, i hate the idea of dealing with all that stuff which i have no exeperience or interest in.
+1 on this. Even if you decide not to do it yourself, you have to pay others to do it. And then oversee their work.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
And wait until you get your tax bill. Self-employment tax sucks.

Sucks only for the portion of income you reported on.
laugh.gif

Also why risk landing in jail dealing meth when you can charge just as much for the same amount of work being a plumber or an electrician?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Sucks only for the portion of income you reported on.
laugh.gif

Also why risk landing in jail dealing meth when you can charge just as much for the same amount of work being a plumber or an electrician?

In my experience, the IRS is way, way more upset over failure to report income than they are trying to slide a few extra deductions through. I recommend being very accurate on the first page of your 1040.

As to dealing: you don't really understand the economics of the business, do you?

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bar-tender, waiter, police officer, professor, fireman, nurse, restaurant manager

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worked for myself for a lot of years, putting this or that together, somehow always made enough to survive. Now that I'm old I have a regular gig (still contract work but pretty steady). I like having a place to go, sitting in the cube shooting the ****, regular pay as long as I remember to send an invoice.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
App developer.
Trust fund payments.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of companies these days offer things like flex time or telecommuting. Are there really still that many jobs (other than customer service/support etc) where you're really required to physically be at your desk exactly from 9am to 5pm?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
A lot of companies these days offer things like flex time or telecommuting. Are there really still that many jobs (other than customer service/support etc) where you're really required to physically be at your desk exactly from 9am to 5pm?

The company that I work for is extremely strict about time. People have been fired for abusing it.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I haven't really had a 'boss' since my early '20s. Help run the family construction business most of the time, hustle side-jobs and Ebay for the rest of my income. I'm fairly poor and have no insurance - but I also have zero job-related stress and if I feel like taking the afternoon off to meditate or work on a personal project I usually can.

Your family owns a construction business, yet you think you're "poor." You are mistaken. You are part of the upper class.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
The company that I work for is extremely strict about time. People have been fired for abusing it.

What industry/job function?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Your family owns a construction business, yet you think you're "poor." You are mistaken. You are part of the upper class.

laugh.gif

Safe bet that you have zero experience in construction?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads