• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

employment contracts

yayorc

Reaction score
I signed a 1 year + 1 year employment contract with a non-compete back in August, with the second year extension at my company's discretion.

Since then I've been offered another job that I would like to take. I need to ask my company to agree not to pick up my option for another year in August.

Any suggestions on how best to approach them on this subject? If they force me to stay, I will be unhappy, and why would they want to keep me around?

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yayorc
I signed a 1 year + 1 year employment contract with a non-compete back in August, with the second year extension at my company's discretion.

Since then I've been offered another job that I would like to take. I need to ask my company to agree not to pick up my option for another year in August.

Any suggestions on how best to approach them on this subject? If they force me to stay, I will be unhappy, and why would they want to keep me around?

Um...you can't be FORCED to work against your will - indentured servitude and all that. That said, there probably is some penalty for early termination - probably best to see what that penalty is.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Um...you can't be FORCED to work against your will - indentured servitude and all that. That said, there probably is some penalty for early termination - probably best to see what that penalty is.

This. There's always an "out," it just might cost you in terms of year end bonus, payback of sign on bonus, part of any re-lo fees, etc. You did read your contract, and have an employment attorney read and advise you on it, prior to signing I hope?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This. There's always an "out," it just might cost you in terms of year end bonus, payback of sign on bonus, part of any re-lo fees, etc. You did read your contract, and have an employment attorney read and advise you on it, prior to signing I hope?

that^^

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

Don't think he would be asking if saw one...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-compete clauses are illegal in CA.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Non-compete clauses are illegal in CA.
This isn't so much about non-competes as it is about slavery. Besides, I don't think OP said he was from CA or another state that doesn't enforce non-competes, did he?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are non-compete clauses really per se unenforcable in CA, or do they just have to be really limited and narrowly constructed to hold up?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do what George Costanza did.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Are non-compete clauses really per se unenforcable in CA, or do they just have to be really limited and narrowly constructed to hold up?

California. Business and Professions Code § 16600 provides that "every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void."

In Morris v. Harris, a California court held that the section invalidates agreements that seek to prevent former employees from accepting work from any of the former employer's clients. Further, according to Diodes, Inc. v. Franzen, a former employee may also solicit employees from his or her former employer if unlawful means or acts of unfair competition are not used.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about principals? For example, say I have a solo law practice that I sell - is it ineffective to include as part of the sale a provision that I am not allowed to open a practice within the same practice areas(say criminal defense) in the same geographic area (say, town) for a limited amount of time(say 2 years)?

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
What about principals? For example, say I have a solo law practice that I sell - is it ineffective to include as part of the sale a provision that I am not allowed to open a practice within the same practice areas(say criminal defense) in the same geographic area (say, town) for a limited amount of time(say 2 years)?

It's a little bit different for principals selling a business, because they have been (presumably) compensated in exchange for the agreement not to compete. Even in CA, I think you could structure it such that you couldn't invest in, or become a shareholder in, a competing entity for a period of time. This would effectively preclude you from opening a competing shop; but if you really wanted to practice, you could probably join another firm as a non-partner and be o.k.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, legal business aside, I would imagine that OP would rather not burn a bridge by getting out on a technicality.

What kind of relationship do you have with your employers? I think in this case, as in most (obvs not all) cases, honesty is the best policy. Explain to them that you there is an offer you would like to take and ask them if they would be willing not to pick up your option. Thank them for the time they employed you. I doubt they want someone working for them who doesn't want to be there.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yayorc
signed a 1 year + 1 year employment contract with a non-compete back in August, with the second year extension at my company's discretion.

Why the **** did you sign such a one sided agreement? Did they pay you a ton of money?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads