• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Carry (Picture Edition)

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EVERYDAY CARRY
tumblr_liwrgsztCo1qz4rlzo1_500.jpg

I need more knives. And a giant ******* watch.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boognish
You've lost me. Are you talking about gunsmithing?

even if we accept your premise that most crimes committed with guns use guns that are not obtained legally (and this is a stretch), you have to concede the point that if we didn't have a culture that glorified nonessential gun ownership most of those guns wouldn't exist in the first place.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
even if we accept your premise that most crimes committed with guns use guns that are not obtained legally (and this is a stretch), you have to concede the point that if we didn't have a culture that glorified nonessential gun ownership most of those guns wouldn't exist in the first place.
False, most criminals get guns illegally. Remove private sector theft and all you end up with is a thriving black market of arms dealers.

Boognish

Reaction score

How is personal protection "nonessential"? And tell me, how is it glorified?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
False, most criminals get guns illegally. Remove private sector theft and all you end up with is a thriving black market of arms dealers.

yeah, but private sector theft, and the black market, are both side effects of a rampant gun culture.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is personal protection "nonessential"? And tell me, how is it glorified?

really, there have been dozens of similar discussions here on the same subject, and I didn't have any intention of opening that can of worms here, but

1. I don't believe that personal gun ownership really helps in self protection

2. even if it did, the vast majority of gun owners have much more arms than they really need to protect themselves - so if a person told me he had a single 9 mm and a 20 gauge shotgun to cover all his personal protection needs, I'd feel a lot more confident in his owning weapons to protect himself, rather than his having 20 fancy pistols, but that is just me.

Boognish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
yeah, but private sector theft, and the black market, are both side effects of a rampant gun culture.

Black markets thrive with or without gun culture.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

the guns that populate the "black market" are manufactured to meet the demands of legal gun ownership. thus, if legal gun ownership was eliminated, production of guns would drop, and there would be far fewer guns to be stolen/purchased illegally.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I carry a swiss army knife, mad afraid of black people nahm sayin guys

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

like Teger said - if there was little or no supply, the black market would dry up. legal citizens buy guns that are stolen that are then sold to criminals, that is the chain of supply in the US.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@teger

isnt that the argument for any controversial substance like drugs or alcohol?

while production might decrease violence might not due to a thriving black market and with illegalization comes less control over said substance and much more funding is required to regulate it

Boognish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
really, there have been dozens of similar discussions here on the same subject, and I didn't have any intention of opening that can of worms here, but

1. I don't believe that personal gun ownership really helps in self protection

2. even if it did, the vast majority of gun owners have much more arms than they really need to protect themselves - so if a person told me he had a single 9 mm and a 20 gauge shotgun to cover all his personal protection needs, I'd feel a lot more confident in his owning weapons to protect himself, rather than his having 20 fancy pistols, but that is just me.

1. That's your personal opinion. You're entitled to it, and that's fine.

2. Would you say the same about guys that have 50 pairs of shoes? What's the magic number according to GT? I enjoy shooting and competition, and therefore I have more than enough toys to cover my needs. I even have obsolete historical pieces that never leave the safe. I've also attended many carbine and handgun classes. Are you implying that ownership of more than two guns equals crazy?

I've read some of your posts in the past (long time lurker of these boards, but just joined recently), and they all smell of elitist sentiment.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
no, because guns and drugs aren't analogous. first, the level of sophistication to manufacture gun isn't equivalent to growing marijuana or poppy plants. second, several times in our society and culture we've conceded that abuse of a product necessitates restricting or removing it, regardless of who is abusing it and what form the abuse takes. the example that most readily comes to mind is drugs with ephedrin. anyway, crane et al are going to reply that guns are a unique situation because the right to own them is explicitly enumerated in the bill of rights, and i would reply that the stakes are so much greater in this debate.

anyway it's a circular argument. "I need a gun to protect myself" "from what?" "from other people with guns!"

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
1. That's your personal opinion. You're entitled to it, and that's fine.

2. Would you say the same about guys that have 50 pairs of shoes? What's the magic number according to GT? I enjoy shooting and competition, and therefore I have more than enough toys to cover my needs. I even have obsolete historical pieces that never leave the safe. I've also attended many carbine and handgun classes. Are you implying that ownership of more than two guns equals crazy?

I've read some of your posts in the past (long time lurker of these boards, but just joined recently), and they all smell of elitist sentiment.

austin powers movies aside, shoes don't have the potential to kill people. that's the key difference.

Boognish

Reaction score
austin powers movies aside, shoes don't have the potential to kill people. that's the key difference.

"Potential." That's key. My car has the potential to run someone over. My kitchen knife has the potential to slice someone up. My baseball bat has the potential, well, you get it.

We should ban everything. For the children.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads