• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consider the Lobster

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
do lobsters fall in love? I didn't think so.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
I could understand it not being a concern of yours, but you don't get it? Really?
It isn't different from eating chickens or fish or whatever. They just happen to need killing at the last moment, so we are forced to do it ourselves. Maybe we are so removed from our food that it seems morally difficult, but not to me.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The woes of lobster are far down on my list of things to possibly find moral outrage in.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It isn't different from eating chickens or fish or whatever. They just happen to need killing at the last moment, so we are forced to do it ourselves. Maybe we are so removed from our food that it seems morally difficult, but not to me.

Yeah, I feel a lot worse eating tasty lamb than I do eating lobster. I've tried to cut back on my beef, lamb, and pork consumption since they're higher organisms than poultry or fish.

With respect to lobster, I've heard it's actually more humane to just toss them in boiling water than it is to give them the lobotomy first. Also easier on your sharp knives.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Is it any less humane to boil a lobster than it is to shock a cow's brain and then **** its throat?
Yes, that's the point. Would you prefer that a cow be cooked alive if somebody discovered that the flavor was improved? Oysters are like plants. A lot of vegetarians eat them.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'll sprinkle some science in here:

Similar to insects, the nervous system of a lobster is very simple and neither insects nor lobsters have real brains. Lobsters have a series of 15 nervous ganglia that span the length of the lobster, on the ventral side or belly side, with nerves projecting from each of these ganglia. The first ganglion is the closest thing to a brain. In general, for an organism to perceive pain it must have a complex nervous system. Many scientists that are studying the nervous system of lobsters tell us that they do not process pain. Lobsters don't have a cerebral cortex, which is where pain is processed in humans or dogs and cats. If they do feel pain, it is most definitely in a different way than humans do. A new study out of Norway concluded that most invertebrates - including lobsters, crabs, worms, snails, slugs and clams - probably don't have the capacity to feel pain

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Not my point.

latkaguy

Reaction score
I was curious about people's thoughts on boiling lobsters. I've heard many arguments about why it is not as inhumane as boiling, say, a rabbit alive, but I still have moral hangups that prevent me from doing it

Boiling a rabbit alive is inhumaine?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
What is?
What I responded to your comment on the last page with. Christ.
Originally Posted by latkaguy
Boiling a rabbit alive is inhumaine?
Yes. Christ, do people do this?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the point. Would you prefer that a cow be cooked alive if somebody discovered that the flavor was improved?

Oysters are like plants. A lot of vegetarians eat them.

A lot of self proclaimed vegetarians eat fish, but that doesn't make fish not animals. Oysters are still living creatures no matter what anyone else says.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
A lot of self proclaimed vegetarians eat fish, but that doesn't make fish not animals. Oysters are still living creatures no matter what anyone else says.
invertebrates, and vertebrates are very different, obviously.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Yeah, I feel a lot worse eating tasty lamb than I do eating lobster. I've tried to cut back on my beef, lamb, and pork consumption since they're higher organisms than poultry or fish.

With respect to lobster, I've heard it's actually more humane to just toss them in boiling water than it is to give them the lobotomy first. Also easier on your sharp knives.

Lambs are adorable. Every time I drive by a farm with little babies, I cry inside.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I'll sprinkle some science in here:

Yes, I'm aware that they have no cerebral cortex. I'm not claiming that they suffer in the same way that a human would suffer. My dilemma is in regards to whether that makes it OK to kill them over the course of a minute in boiling water.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware that they have no cerebral cortex. I'm not claiming that they suffer in the same way that a human would suffer. My dilemma is in regards to whether that makes it OK to kill them over the course of a minute in boiling water.
Do you eat lobster killed by others?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads