• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
sleeve clips were worn! Was that common?
Arm bands to keep the cuffs at the right length. My old mate 'Cockney Bob' wore them - called them 'Georges' or 'Saint Georges'.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Never saw a Skinhead in the 60s wearing a double breasted Sheepskin, Not being funny but the sheepskin in the photo looks like a old woman's Coat.
I'm with you on that one.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ikouja
I've been wondering why in a lot of these old photos, the guys part their hair almost in the middle of their foreheads. Maybe I'm just weird, but my hair parts at the corner of my forehead.
In '68 my parting was fairly high.
hard%20mod%201.jpg
In '69 it was a little lower.
JOHN%20BOY%20MARGATE.jpg

bunty

Reaction score
rotflmao.gif
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Never saw a Skinhead in the 60s wearing a double breasted Sheepskin, Not being funny but the sheepskin in the photo looks like a old woman's Coat.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif
That's pee'd on his fireworks!

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
In '68 my parting was fairly high, in '69 it was a little lower. Also, in London we wore our shirts with the top button undone, with a tightly-knotted windsor knot tie.

As mentioned before there is some fantastic input to be found on this thread as for 'proper' Peanut/Totter fashion
cool.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
As mentioned before there is some fantastic input to be found on this thread as for 'proper' Peanut/Totter fashion
cool.gif

Alex, re: "Also, in London we wore our shirts with the top button undone, with a tightly-knotted windsor knot tie.", this is roughly what I had in mind (pre bd roll-collar, '68):

tie.jpg

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Alex, re: "Also, in London we wore our shirts with the top button undone, with a tightly-knotted windsor knot tie.", this is roughly what I had in mind (pre bd roll-collar, '68):

Would be interesting if you'd expand on that M-o-M i.e. I've noticed you wore a tie w/a more casual outfit in that pic you've posted up. I take it is wasn't that uncommon for some to wear a tie during the daytime in the 'early days' ?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Would be interesting if you'd expand on that M-o-M i.e. I've noticed you wore a tie w/a more casual outfit in that pic you've posted up. I take it is wasn't that uncommon for some to wear a tie during the daytime in the 'early days' ?

It was very much a mod/totter thing - a tie with a v-neck sweater or slipover, even worn with jeans, sometimes with a suit jacket on top. Up North we had always worn our ties with a large knot and with the shirt fastened; the ties would normally have been striped (small polka dots having come and gone) and often what you did was 'collect' a tie from your current girlfriend's school. When I got to London in '68 I found that although most guys wore striped ties some did still wear polka-dots. The main difference was that the S E Londoners unbuttoned the top button of the shirt, wore the tie slightly loosened (as in my sketch). The knot was indeed a tight Windsor, and the body of the tie flared away from it. The wearing of ties with casual clothes tended to die out when Ben Sherman (etc) shirts really took off.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
It was very much a mod/totter thing - a tie with a v-neck sweater or slipover, even worn with jeans, sometimes with a suit jacket on top. Up North we had always worn our ties with a large knot and with the shirt fastened; the ties would normally have been striped (small polka dots having come and gone) and often what you did was 'collect' a tie from your current girlfriend's school. When I got to London in '68 I found that although most guys wore striped ties some did still wear polka-dots. The main difference was that the S E Londoners unbuttoned the top button of the shirt, wore the tie slightly loosened (as in my sketch). The knot was indeed a tight Windsor, and the body of the tie flared away from it. The wearing of ties with casual clothes tended to die out when Ben Sherman (etc) shirts really took off.

Great post! There's a pic of a 16 year old Kevin Rowland accompanying his 'Peanuts' essay in 'The Look' where he (off the top of my head) is wearing his (striped) tie fairly loose w/a white shirt, a cardy and a sheepskin coat. Need to check where he lived at the time, think it was Harrow though.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Here's that pic of Kevin Rowland from "The Look"

Nice one Jason. KR lived in Harrow alright and was introduced to the Squire shop by Tim Brennan, one of the smartest dressers of that highly fashion-conscious area. In '69 he noticed a couple of boys with hair slightly longer on the top of the head, parted low and neatly dressed over to one side. It tapered into nothing at the back, instead of the more common square neck or 'Boston'. A variation on the all-American boy look.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
this will def be of interest on this thread....

NEDS (non educated delinquents).....UK film, takes place in 1970 scotland, looks like it has a good amount of skinhead overtones. I've heard it's quite good and very realistic. One of my mates is getting me a copy, cant wait to see it!!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Ikouja

Reaction score
In '68 my parting was fairly high.

In '69 it was a little lower.

Ah, so just the style, thanks for letting me know the proper way to say is a high or low part
laugh.gif

this will def be of interest on this thread....

NEDS (non educated delinquents).....UK film, takes place in 1970 scotland, looks like it has a good amount of skinhead overtones. I've heard it's quite good and very realistic. One of my mates is getting me a copy, cant wait to see it!!

Nice find GetSmart! It actually looks good, a little dark, but I mean, life isn't always bright and chipper. It's really neat hearing their accents, I was just in Scotland about three weeks ago, and hearing the way they spoke on the trailer makes me miss it way too soon
confused.gif

loempiavreter

Reaction score
From Twisted Wheel:
2aa0vnl.jpg
Picture 1 is with chimpy and Steve nik from alty....junior walker October 67 Picture 2 with ronnie from sale, geno 67 Picture 3 with Kay from congleton, geno march 68 Pictures 4-6 were with Jane from alty, various allnighters mid 68 to early 69

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NEDS (non educated delinquents).....

It's remarkably quick how something takes off. In the part of Scotland where I now live* the term "Ned" has always been considered a contraction of "Ne'er-do-well", and the "non-educated-delinquents" thing tagged on later - after all, we would say "uneducated" not "non-educated".

*I know, I know - Northern England, South East London, Scotland... where's this flash b@st@rd going to claim to be from next?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics