• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consider the Lobster

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd feel too bad boiling them.

The last time I cooked live lobster I used the knife method. My friend and I had to kill like 9 or 10 of them for a dinner party. Felt kind of gross and looked gruesome and a couple of female friends actually ended up crying- they probably think chicken grows on trees too though. But meh, I'm sure I'd prefer to die this way if I had to choose.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I found a place to get lobster super cheap. I have killed four this week.

Where to kop?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the city, where I took you has good prices. Otherwise, New England Lobster off of South Airport has great prices. About $10 a lobster. Pound and a quarter.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
not lobsters, but I grew up in a kitchen where live shrimps were tossed into the pan, and you should cover it real fast since they jump once they're in. we also cooked crabs live, my mother used to leave them in a bowl of beer before cooking- though I'm not sure they have the capacity to get drunk.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the city, where I took you has good prices. Otherwise, New England Lobster off of South Airport has great prices. About $10 a lobster. Pound and a quarter.

Much obliged, par'ner.

nano404

Reaction score
Over here, most people/fishermen take a knife and shove it down in-between where the tail meets the body and work it around the tail, then twist the tail out.

I'm guessing the body isn't really used for cooking as much as other places around the world, save restaurants. The guts inside do make excellent bait though.

grit

Reaction score
I'd like to take a moment and encourage everyone to actually read that article. I've posted it here before in one of the vegetarian threads. It is one of the best things I've ever read in my life, ever. In fact, the whole book is pretty great - the first essay is about Appreciation, just in case anyone's worried about stodginess

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i may be wrong, but i heard if you just put them in the fridge for like 2 hrs or so before boiling them, they just sorta fall asleep...forever.

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
I like when the air escapes out of their shell... Makes it sound like they are screaming.

the hell is wrong with you, you get off on the thought of a creature suffering?

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I do it, but killing them with a knife results in better lobster. It's just sort of gross.

Manton what's the principle behind "killing them with a knife results in a better lobster"?

I'f I'm making a bisque, I lobotomize them as you suggest, but that's only because I'm literally pulling them apart so I start with splitting the head lengthwize in recognition of potential suffering.

When boiling its "clip the rubber bands and into the pot" (I clip the bands to give them a real chance of fighting back and don't see the virtue of boliing the rubber)

Have you found that it actually improves the qualities of the lobster (taste, texture or other) of the boiled or otherwise prepared lobster?

Braised

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
I clip the bands to give them a real chance of fighting back
This is silly. Not demented, like kwilk's story, but you're fooling yourself.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
the hell is wrong with you, you get off on the thought of a creature suffering?
lol chill the **** out, I was being facetious. I've never cooked a lobster before. Live prawns, on the other hand...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really don't get the morality issue here.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I really don't get the morality issue here.

I could understand it not being a concern of yours, but you don't get it? Really?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
I could understand it not being a concern of yours, but you don't get it? Really?
Where do you draw the line? It's not okay to boil a living lobster, but it is to ram a knife through its brain? Or its not okay to ram a knife through its brain OR boil it, but it's okay to take mussels, another living animal, and throw them in a hot pan? What about oysters? Is it okay to eat something if it's still alive? Is it any less humane to boil a lobster than it is to shock a cow's brain and then **** its throat?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads