• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
^ Bringing a German Shepherd wearing a K-9/police uniform to a "drugged-up happening" is fun, wearing that suit is an act of terror.

You may like to take out a new insurance policy for puking and other violent reactions involving your bodily fluids soon...

Originally Posted by Xenon
This outfit borders on brilliant. I really like except for the tie. The tie pattern works well but the color pallette is a little off. (edit off in relation to shirt & suit , not within itself - its a beautiful tie that would work with other colors)

I really want to know just where he sources those excellent exploded pattern ties of his

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
I really want to know just where he sources those excellent exploded pattern ties of his

I have some Duchamp ties that although not identical seem to chanel these vivid geometric patterns and colors closely. Could this be a Duchamp or from the same silk mill a least?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
[
ff95061a0605Web1.jpg.jpg
20090910_hamish_250x375.jpg

This outfit borders on brilliant. I really like except for the tie. The tie pattern works well but the color pallette is a little off. (edit off in relation to shirt & suit , not within itself - its a beautiful tie that would work with other colors)

milan-fwss2010-hamish-bowles2.jpg

This tie IS DREADFUL

The guy looks like a Polish *****.

Come on guys...

The first suit is well-cut and fitted but the rest is shocking...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel like I should contribute something to this thread... but for right now :

1. Great idea for a thread, HF.
2. I hate Hamish. He outbid me for something at Sothebys once while looking me right in the eyes. ******.

However I did cut him off at the estate sale for a recently deceased NYC socialite whose clothes he was collecting. He was on line ahead of me with a notepad that had certain pieces he wanted to target for his collection, so I beelined right for them and bought them.

Carry on.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker

2. I hate Hamish. He outbid me for something at Sothebys once while looking me right in the eyes. ******.

However I did cut him off at the estate sale for a recently deceased NYC socialite whose clothes he was collecting. He was on line ahead of me with a notepad that had certain pieces he wanted to target for his collection, so I beelined right for them and bought them.

Carry on.

Can you adopt me?

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few men who can truly claim to know the pattern "rules," and then deconstruct [break] them for self-serving purposes.

Among them are the DoW, Hamish, Lapo, L. Barbera, T. Wolfe, M. Rubinacci, and A. Flusser.

The rest of us are just not worthy, let alone try to criticize.

We are merely Art Institute students while they, Picassos.

- M

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
There are a few men who can truly claim to know the pattern "rules," and then deconstruct [break] them for self-serving purposes.

Among them are the DoW, Hamish, Lapo, L. Barbera, T. Wolfe, M. Rubinacci, and A. Flusser.

The rest of us are just not worthy, let alone try to criticize.

We are merely Art Institute students while they, Picassos.

- M

Tom Wolfe? To the best of my knowledge he owns but one striped suit. The rest are solids.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Can you adopt me?

You are just a bit too conservative business dress for me, Hannah Brotana.
laugh.gif

But that purple tie you wore the other day... I covet.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Wolfe?

Okay, perhaps not in the suit department [Southern Gentleman à la Mark Twain thing, I suppose].

Shirt, tie, and pocket square . . . yes.

s5vRq.jpg

at7Rb.jpg

Perhaps R. Merkin would have been a better example . . .

WEJN4.jpg

- M

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merkin

I used to really enjoy his articles and artwork for GQ. RIP.

- M

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Okay, perhaps not in the suit department [Southern Gentleman à la Mark Twain thing, I suppose].

Shirt, tie, and pocket square . . . yes.

s5vRq.jpg

What an awful collar.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like it very much if Spoo began blogging

By the way, my Lobbs fit fairly well now. It makes me wish I also had a pair in brown

Xenon - the ties do seem a little Duchamp-like, but that firm seems to favour woven silks over prints. Perhaps they're vintage Sulka or from a 1960s boutique

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Carry on.

Tell us more, Master Spoo.
lurker[1].gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carry on.

I forgot to mention that you shoulda shivved him when you had the chance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads