• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consider the Lobster

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai

Have you done sous-vide on a living lobster yet? That's gotta suck.

My machine is not big enough to fit an Aztec.

I have heard that lobster tail sous vide can be very good. Poached in truffle oil.
drool.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
None of you chuckle-heads have read the article. You should, he's a great writer. I also think that being sent to cover a lobster festival and then turning in a short dissertation on the morality of cooking lobster is great.

(...)

I read the article and thought it was great...but have never cooked a lobster, nor do I plan to. I have boiled a few hundred pounds of crawfish though, pretty much the same cooking method as far as I can discern. Actually, my cousin (in Jolly London now) suggested I eat crawfish with butter like you would with a lobster, but it's such a major hassle, finding forks small enough to spear the crawfish tails, then de-veining them and don't even get me started on the etiquette of cutting them into even smaller pieces when they're already pretty tiny. It all seemed kinda twee.

Oh, and there is no way you're going to convince me that I should kill all the crawfish with a knife before boiling them.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
i have seen someone put a live lobster in a chamber vac. unnecessarily cruel and inhumane. i have a lot of thought on the subject but will wait til i get to a real computer to type them

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Oh, and there is no way you're going to convince me that I should kill all the crawfish with a knife before boiling them.
The age old debate between humanity and efficiency...I suppose I'd do the same thing, and I actually probably will at some point soon eat lobster that was boiled to death. But it will be a matter of convenience for me to do so. I think it is crewel.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
i have seen someone put a live lobster in a chamber vac. unnecessarily cruel and inhumane. i have a lot of thought on the subject but will wait til i get to a real computer to type them

How long did it take you to clean up the resultant mess?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
How long did it take you to clean up the resultant mess?

wasnt much of one. it didnt explode, it just foamed out of different body parts and then collapsed into a limp, lifeless pile. i remember being disgusted watching it and sad afterward

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
wasnt much of one. it didnt explode, it just foamed out of different body parts and then collapsed into a limp, lifeless pile. i remember being disgusted watching it and sad afterward

jesus.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
jesus.

yeah it was terrible. the worst part was that was (and is no longer, thank god) the exec sous at a very famous and respected restaurant. sad

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

eugh. I'd feel the same.

yeah it was terrible. the worst part was that was (and is no longer, thank god) the exec sous at a very famous and respected restaurant. sad

tell me he's not the one running a food truck in downtown Houston. or is he?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

tell me he's not the one running a food truck in downtown Houston. or is he?

nah that guy was just a chef de partie. you should go though

Duff_Man

Reaction score
This thread upsets me.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I'm sure this makes me an awful, awful human being, but one night at Cyrus we stuck a live lobster in the cryovac. And by "we" I mean "I waited until everyone else left and I did it to see what happened."

my weird memory awakens.

skywalker

Reaction score
I've heard that some people kill them before hand, and that was more "humane". I imagine being boiled alive would be quite an unfortunate way to go.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i'm with manton on this one ... when i do cook lobster, i usually do the old chef's knife right behind the eyes thing. tried it side-by-side once (yes, this is my job) and it may have been imaginary, but it seemed the meat was a little more tender.
I've found the opposite, but I wouldn't trust me. I've read that the lobster freaks more when stabbed, and secretes bitter stuff, but you would be able to debunk that before I would even try.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found that from the lobsters I can buy here the ones that died in a net (have to pick these up in one of the harbors) are actually juicier then if I boil them alive...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics