• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
matt, what about a farro salad or a chunky, clear veggie soup? i might add a few more cheeses to the cheese plate too.
Wife nixed soup. Thought it would be too long sitting down. I didn't want to argue. What is farro again?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt - I do a big thing of poke if I want to have something light for people to nibble on, but most of my friends have no issue with raw fish.

Instead of doing the fish in oil, why not do a few packets en papillote which you could probably pack a day ahead and then cook just-in-time?

Since you're in a rillette mood, you could also do a white bean rillette with some pita or crackers.

Edit: Now that I see you're nixing the proscuitto and melons... you might do dates w/ proscuitto instead. Or I love making napoleans with roma tomatoes confit, goat cheese, balsamic glaze over arugala and nicoise olives. Even non-tomato lovers seem to enjoy it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Thanks. What do you put in a chickpea salad? You are, no doubt, right about the melon.
frown.gif
The other stuff sounds perfect, and not having to deal with cooking fish at the last moment will be nice. What do you think of ceviche as an appetizer as well? Too messy? I worry that these NorCal education types aren't going to eat too much chorizo.

how about this for a chickpea salad: poach some albacore in olive oil (or buy ventresca) ... usual accompaniments ... slice the chorizo thin ... if it's good chorizo (spanish table carries dona juana brand, which is terrific ... sample because they have like 8 different ones), i've never met anyone but deluded vegetarians who wouldn't eat it. if you want, put out a pesca-veg alternative ... boquerones on little toasts?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I'm having rabbit rillettes, a roast chicken and a salad tonight. Is that basic enough? I think I am the only person to buy rabbits so that I can eat the shoulders and then make the rest into rillettes, but they came out great. Personally, I like anything starchy with a magret, to cut the fat. I'd probably go with potatoes, because I like potatoes, and then deglaze the cooking pan with vinegar as a sauce. I don't finish mine in the oven. I rarely finish anything in the oven, though.

M- Just make sure to keep it rare. A well done magret is disgusting. Cook it slowly so that all the fat renders.

Yes, finishing things in the oven usually leads to overcooking. I usually do everything I need to do in the pan.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
If you want to read it in order, go to page 1 first.

Wait.... are you telling me that's what I've been doing wrong my whole life?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Yes, finishing things in the oven usually leads to overcooking. I usually do everything I need to do in the pan.

TORCH!
laugh.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
So I made the duck, it came out rare and delicious, and my girlfriend reminds me that she doesn't really like duck. She takes a few bites and says "yep, still don't like it."

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

really? that hasn't been my experience. could be the difference between cooking for 4-6 and cooking for 25. i find that with thick pieces of meat (such as a 1-pound duck breast), a sear on top followed by a short time in the oven cooks the meat through more evenly.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
So I made the duck, it came out rare and delicious, and my girlfriend reminds me that she doesn't really like duck. She takes a few bites and says "yep, still don't like it."

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

That is indeed a
ffffuuuu.gif

Reminds me, anyone watch the latest Bourdain episode? He made duck a non-duck lover liked. Also nearly killed someone.
laugh.gif

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well... in a previous scene, they were eating a nasty ass looking raccoon, and someone said "tastes like duck". I suspect they had never had a properly cooked duck around there. Plus, the dog slobber probably added a nice flavor... although it was good to see some retrievers actually retrieving.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
really? that hasn't been my experience. could be the difference between cooking for 4-6 and cooking for 25. i find that with thick pieces of meat (such as a 1-pound duck breast), a sear on top followed by a short time in the oven cooks the meat through more evenly.

Yeah, without time in the oven this would have been crispy on the outside and bloody on the inside.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i honestly don't understand how someone can not like duck. it's not like it's some kind of radical flavor ... like uni or something. and it's not like it's a weird texture, like okra. it's not like it's a dish people have a lot of history with (my late father-in-law refused to eat lamb because he'd been stationed in England during WWII and had lived for a couple of years on boiled mutton). it's just a kind of beefier poultry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads