• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least MarkI is responsible for creating/fostering two epic threads. All those aghast at his current boneheadedness check out MarkI's girlfriend thread, I think that tops his antics in this one.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Keep it simple, stupid. In this case I'd like to retract any statement about trying to rig her feelings when you end it. Be polite and firm, and don't hold her when she starts crying. Done.

Word

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I don't know, Mark. You don't want to seem completely heartless. If she does start crying, wrapping an arm around her wouldn't hurt. Maybe a peck on the cheek too just for closure.

I sense the classic SF snark.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI

None whatsoever. She, at one point, meant a great deal to you. A soft kiss on the cheek says, "Goodbye. I will always treasure our time together."

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
He follows the poster whose opinion most closely matches whatever ill-conceived ideas he already has in his head.

If that's the case... explain why he missed that I am now encouraging him:

Originally Posted by edinatlanta
actually mark I just want to say that with your last post, I see she's trying to make this work.

Good luck to you dude.

Originally Posted by MarkI

You clearly don't get Neo if you think that's snark.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
If that's the case... explain why he missed that I am now encouraging him:

You clearly don't get Neo if you think that's snark.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with him, though. It just came off as a bit sarcastic.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
None whatsoever. She, at one point, meant a great deal to you. A soft kiss on the cheek says, "Goodbye. I will always treasure our time together."

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of guys are way too invested in this whole MarkI soap opera. They mean well, but it's obviously pointless. All this advice, break off contact, ignore her, etc, is not only rude, but just tries to cure the symptoms, as opposed to the disease.
He is still very much emotionally attached to his soon-maybe-not-any-more-not-ex.
You cannot teach emotional development, it's a slow and painful process that requires making your own experiences. If he follows somebody else's advice/experience, he may go through the motions, and he may even end up at a better place physically, but he will not understand why, and there will still be the lingering 'what if'. He needs to do what he needs to do to figure this out for himself. If it means getting back together just for her to inevitably cheat on him and this then finally giving him the impetus to end it... oh well, so be it. Everybody has to go through these things on their own.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
A lot of guys are way too invested in this whole MarkI soap opera. They mean well, but it's obviously pointless. All this advice, break off contact, ignore her, etc, is not only rude, but just tries to cure the symptoms, as opposed to the disease.
He is still very much emotionally attached to his soon-maybe-not-any-more-not-ex.
You cannot teach emotional development, it's a slow and painful process that requires making your own experiences. If he follows somebody else's advice/experience, he may go through the motions, and he may even end up at a better place physically, but he will not understand why, and there will still be the lingering 'what if'. He needs to do what he needs to do to figure this out for himself. If it means getting back together just for her to inevitably cheat on him and this then finally giving him the impetus to end it... oh well, so be it. Everybody has to go through these things on their own.

I was actually in the shower lathering up my johnson and the boys for maintenance grooming when I thought of this exact thing. It took looking like I had herpes before I realized that one does not run an edged object against the grain when mowing the ol' Stewart Rod. Everyone warned me that my Stratocaster would have more polka dots than that itsy witsy teeny weeny bikini of yore, but I had to try anyway. Lo and behold I was jump jiving with my hand in my pants trying to relieve the symptoms of what I was sure could only have resulted from a bad night of battle speed ramming the broad side of a hornet's nest. It hurt, it was embarrassing, I never got the public indecency charges dropped, but boy that's a lesson I'll never forget.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
you should propose to her. or get her pregnant. then you own her and she can't leave you.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i mean, i have few problems of my own but sometimes a little drama can be fun

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HgaleK, I think it may have been just a fluke. You should definitely give the against-the-grain thing a second chance.
The beauty of the situation is that I have, and quite successfully. I knew that there had to be a reason that my 100% all beef thermometer looked like my neighbor's recently pubescent daughter's face, and that part of it must have been something that I had done or had failed to do, because plenty of people manage to shave against the grain quite successfully. One evening, after my dangling participle had healed completely, I sat back with a few brews and reexamined the situation. I realized that I'd missed several signs that things were going wrong (apparently your one eyed monster shouldn't cry red tears) and I had forgotten to be considerate enough to apply a bit of shaving cream to earth worm jim. I also realized that some things were completely out of my hands. Shaving southward on the the north bound train is bound to result in some irritation, it's just a matter of realizing whether it's beneficial or going to result in a bubonic johnson. By easing in to shaving against the grain again, ensuring that I didn't rush things, being more conscientious of the situation, and by virtue of additional experience, I can now navigate my razor through the fire swamp of my nether regions with confidence and nimbleness. That doesn't change the fact that I was in no way prepared for what I put myself through the first time around, nor could have been, and probably should have listened to those in the know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads