• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mark, please save this thread somehow and read it in 10 years when you're 30. Know now that no matter how much turmoil this is causing, you'll probably have a good chuckle about it years from now.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
actually mark I just want to say that with your last post, I see she's trying to make this work.

Good luck to you dude.

The ex pulled the same thing repeatedly. Calls, voicemail, etc. that involved begging and crying for to give it a chance for things to work out. My biggest mistake was saying that I would. Just saying.

If he has any chance of getting anything out of this ever again (as in a year+ down the line), he'll explain to her that it's done, that's he needs space, and ask her to respect his wishes not to contact him. If he can pull it off, he may be able to come out of this okay. I'm just waiting for them to be sitting in the car, she starts balling real tears because she gets that it's really done, and he (being anything other than a sociopath) feels the need to comfort her, and then **** gets all fucked up, or his leaving for good loses the impact that it could have had.

Hell, if he manages to explain in a polite, acting like he's trying to preserve her feelings, skirting the issue, I didn't want to do this to you, but you ruined this relationship in spite of everything I did to fix it, and doesn't give in when she starts crying, and leaves in a very business-like manner, it may leave enough of an impression that she is left feeling like she just lost the best thing that ever happened to her. It would take some ballin' skillz on his part though .

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not certain of this, but I believe I just saw a pig fly past my window.

wootx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I am not certain of this, but I believe I just saw a pig fly past my window.
we must be neighbors: i've seen one too. was yours laughing, though?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
The ex pulled the same thing repeatedly. Calls, voicemail, etc. that involved begging and crying for to give it a chance for things to work out. My biggest mistake was saying that I would. Just saying.

If he has any chance of getting anything out of this ever again (as in a year+ down the line), he'll explain to her that it's done, that's he needs space, and ask her to respect his wishes not to contact him. If he can pull it off, he may be able to come out of this okay. I'm just waiting for them to be sitting in the car, she starts balling real tears because she gets that it's really done, and he (being anything other than a sociopath) feels the need to comfort her, and then **** gets all fucked up, or his leaving for good loses the impact that it could have had.

Hell, if he manages to explain in a polite, acting like he's trying to preserve her feelings, skirting the issue, I didn't want to do this to you, but you ruined this relationship in spite of everything I did to fix it, and doesn't give in when she starts crying, and leaves in a very business-like manner, it may leave enough of an impression that she is left feeling like she just lost the best thing that ever happened to her. It would take some ballin' skillz on his part though .

Pretty much what i'm planning on doing.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI
Pretty much what i'm planning on doing.

Just make sure that you aren't a dick about the last part. It may be better to avoid that one altogether TBH. It's walking a fine line that's difficult to keep sight of in a situation like this. KISS works here.

Incman

Reaction score
I'm curious mark, what's your criteria for who you select to litsen to in this threak

He follows the poster whose opinion most closely matches whatever ill-conceived ideas he already has in his head.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
He follows the poster whose opinion most closely matches whatever ill-conceived ideas he already has in his head.

So no one pretty much.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Just make sure that you aren't a dick about the last part. It may be better to avoid that one altogether TBH. It's walking a fine line that's difficult to keep sight of in a situation like this. KISS works here.

Yeah, I have to be really gentle about that, not gentle, but not clearly coming off as an asshole. Definitely a fine line.

KISS?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious mark, what's your criteria for who you select to litsen to in this threak

Originally Posted by Incman

Hmm...

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI
Yeah, I have to be really gentle about that, not gentle, but not clearly coming off as an asshole. Definitely a fine line.

KISS?

Keep it simple, stupid. In this case I'd like to retract any statement about trying to rig her feelings when you end it. Be polite and firm, and don't hold her when she starts crying. Done.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know, Mark. You don't want to seem completely heartless. If she does start crying, wrapping an arm around her wouldn't hurt. Maybe a peck on the cheek too just for closure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads