• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Pwn
A bit on the subdued side, only the shirt really stands out in my view. Although I fear the tie and coat might be a bit too matchy, but hoped the difference in pattern might make it work. I also know the low-rise isn't the best fit for me, but it's all I have at the moment. I definitely need to go trouser shopping.
d1uRC.jpg
IqBl4.jpg

I like the combo, and don't think it's too matchy. The jacket looks a bit short, and you should definitely button it for these shots. Especially when the pants feature such a tight crotch. Speaking of pants, consider dark blue slacks instead of these chinos. In other news, I bet you have a happy wife.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Nice fit, Spoo. Guess now is a good time to slip in under the radar with some untested stuff. New shirt and new square.

1000000563.JPG

1000000566.JPG

1000000564.JPG

You know I love this suit, being a RL guy. I am going to have to gong the shirt and tie though. This is a bold suit. If I were wearing it, I would choose a more subdued shade of shirt (white, pale blue or a paler version of this pink) and a tie that was more harmonious. Not that the tie does not work, but I think you could find something better.

A bit on the subdued side, only the shirt really stands out in my view. Although I fear the tie and coat might be a bit too matchy, but hoped the difference in pattern might make it work. I also know the low-rise isn't the best fit for me, but it's all I have at the moment. I definitely need to go trouser shopping.

d1uRC.jpg
IqBl4.jpg

Ok, dude. This is a trainwreck. Those pants are obscene. Please don't be insulted, but you are not built for these ball hugging, low rise pegged pants. The shirt and jacket could work, but the tie is too close to the SC, yet clashes, and the khakis do not go at all. With this type of jacket, I would be looking at dark charcoal pants, or even white pants and a darker tie for contrast, like a solid dark blue or even black.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
a3-4.jpg

this is nice maestro. the bow is a nice touch and very well tied.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker

sorry Spoo - this is a train wreck. the suit is so powerful it deserves to be the centerpiece of the outfit. the shoes are vying for unnecessary attention with the shoes which starts the derailment. The stripes in the shirt in combination with the suit just adds another un-needed element to throw things further off the rails.

If you dont mind, i'd really like to understand how you went about deciding to go with todays fit - a peek into the Spoo-mind if you will ... lol.

Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
cycle.jpg

this is a great pic.

Originally Posted by IST66

3-67-1.jpg

nicely done comrade. warming up around your way yet?

Originally Posted by upr_crust

that shade of pink is not a good match for your skin tone Upr_C.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Acrid! Terrific fit, bud!

Thanks Fred. The pose is a nod to you!

Originally Posted by MBreinin
You know I love this suit, being a RL guy. I am going to have to gong the shirt and tie though. This is a bold suit. If I were wearing it, I would choose a more subdued shade of shirt (white, pale blue or a paler version of this pink) and a tie that was more harmonious. Not that the tie does not work, but I think you could find something better.

Thanks Mike. I agree that the sum is less than the parts. The shirt is one of my new Sid Mashburns (I love it), that I guess I will have to work into a different fit. Perhaps the new suit coming soon...
I love the tie, sorry.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Feelin fine n dandy.
cb288389.jpg

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
741c6533.jpg

nice flooring, this is a very cool vantage point. oh yeah the clothers are nice too

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Ok, dude. This is a trainwreck. Those pants are obscene. Please don't be insulted, but you are not built for these ball hugging, low rise pegged pants. The shirt and jacket could work, but the tie is too close to the SC, yet clashes, and the khakis do not go at all. With this type of jacket, I would be looking at dark charcoal pants, or even white pants and a darker tie for contrast, like a solid dark blue or even black.
Don't sweat it. Not insulted in the least. I get what you're saying about the pants, and I agree. Didn't realize it was quite that bad, but I definitely get it. I used to tend towards low-rise jeans when any pair of pants and a t-shirt was all I needed to wear to work, and I guess I carried that over to a few of my earlier purchases. Unfortunate, but I guess if I donate them, some down-on-his-luck hipster will find some use for them. Anyway, tried the chinos because the last time I wore charcoal with this jacket I got a negative response. I'll probably pick up some dark blue slacks as acrid recommended, and try the jacket again with a different tie next time. As I said, I had similar thoughts about the tie, but I thought it might work, so I gave it a shot. You never know until you try, right?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn, you guys suck
lol8[1].gif
The shirt, yeah - it's too stripey with the suit, I can see that. The shoes? Of course controversial and black would have been the easy shoe to do with it. I've worn a brown before with this and a Bordeaux, so I wanted to see how a grey/pewter would have worked. You don't know until you try, right? I agree with Holdfast that a more mottled grey would have been better. Looks like I need to send these to Rider. The tie though, I can't see how a thick woven matte silk (Hermes lourde) is a wrong choice with a charcoal flannel pinstripe. Maybe the shirt and shoes (and direct sunlight pic) didn't help, but I think purple is a great compliment to grey flannel. Oh, the square is white linen. #winning
lol8[1].gif

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
That is a sick shot right there.

Yes, it made me sick too.
devil.gif
Spoo, even if I liked gray shoes, I'd still agree with the comment that these are fighting with the suit for attention.

Originally Posted by acridsheep
Nice fit, Spoo. Guess now is a good time to slip in under the radar with some untested stuff. New shirt and new square.

1000000563.JPG

1000000566.JPG

1000000564.JPG

The suit is nice. I think I have the same one, or one like it. I don't like the shirt or tie, and I really don't like all three together. That shade of pink is nice in an OCBD, but in a more formal shirt I don't think it works.

a3-4.jpg

a4-1.jpg

a5.jpg

CP, that suit is awesome.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. Not insulted in the least. I get what you're saying about the pants, and I agree. Didn't realize it was quite that bad, but I definitely get it. I used to tend towards low-rise jeans when any pair of pants and a t-shirt was all I needed to wear to work, and I guess I carried that over to a few of my earlier purchases. Unfortunate, but I guess if I donate them, some down-on-his-luck hipster will find some use for them.

Anyway, tried the chinos because the last time I wore charcoal with this jacket I got a negative response. I'll probably pick up some dark blue slacks as acrid recommended, and try the jacket again with a different tie next time. As I said, I had similar thoughts about the tie, but I thought it might work, so I gave it a shot. You never know until you try, right?

That shade of jacket is tough. I have worn white pants with a jacket that color and it works well. Blue pants are going to earn you the ire of the board. I actually own probably 10 pair of blue pants, and I really don't see them issue with them...but they are universally despised here. When I said dark charcoal, I meant dark...as in as dark as the houndstooth portion of the jacket.

Mike

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
That shade of jacket is tough. I have worn white pants with a jacket that color and it works well. Blue pants are going to earn you the ire of the board. I actually own probably 10 pair of blue pants, and I really don't see them issue with them...but they are universally despised here. When I said dark charcoal, I meant dark...as in as dark as the houndstooth portion of the jacket.

Mike

Who'd have thought a grey jacket would be so hard to pair.
frown.gif

I actually did wear charcoal with this suit a while ago. Managed to find the pic.

6Exsa.jpg

Folks were not pleased.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not often do we see you in a SB suit. This is looking very handsome. The shirt and PS make an engaging visual impact.

Originally Posted by niidawg3
that shade of pink is not a good match for your skin tone Upr_C.

There seems to be a split decision on the shirt - and I was unaware that I HAD skin tone (as the process of suntanning is a total waste of time for my complexion).
devil.gif

It seems that there is a decided prejudice against stronger shades of pink worn with suits in the gemeinschaft of WAYWRN - see the comments to acridsheep.

With the onset of spring (at least calendrically, if not meteorologically, in NYC), I'll be wearing more SB suits - with what level of success, as always, remains to be seen
smile.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who'd have thought a grey jacket would be so hard to pair.
frown.gif

I actually did wear charcoal with this suit a while ago. Managed to find the pic.

6Exsa.jpg

Folks were not pleased.

Well, the problem is not so much the combination of those colors as it is the combination of those pants and that jacket and those shoes. Plus, those pants look blue in this pic.

First of all, if that is part of a suit, why not wear the whole suit? Second of all, the pants and the jacket don't mix because of the cut of both and your body type. I know you don't want to hear this, but the first thing you might consider is finding clothes that both fit you, and are cut properly for you. Start with the basics and work your way up.

What size are you?

Mike

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BarChallenge2.JPG

Mike, what color socks do you wear with this suit? I have a similar color, patterned suit and I am always at a loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads