• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Geyvs.jpg

What color are those shoes?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition

Are you saying Manton should improve his photographic skills?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
You probably tucked the flaps in.
- M

- correct as my Herringbone suits are OTR & GAWD FORBID shorten in the body by 1"

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Are you saying Manton should improve his photographic skills?
Heh...just haven't seen black suede too often. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- correct as my Herringbone suits are OTR & GAWD FORBID shorten in the body by 1"

I do that all the time
fistbump.gif

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A navy Panama was sighted
110330006.jpg
110330010-1.jpg
110330008.jpg
* A Q for Sir Mantoni - where does the rules sit with wearing black shoes w a knit tie that is not black or navy or grey. As I may have sinned today.. Certainly can't be worse than me not buttoning up my BDs or commissioning a 1B SB BlazerSuit..

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh...just haven't seen black suede too often. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

wink.gif
I'm guessing brown.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geyvs.jpg

Please don't take any of this the wrong way, I really don't mean any harm. This has been mentioned earlier in the thread but I don't recall a reply. Is the granny knot faux-sprezz, a Manton signature item, or do you really not know how to tie a square knot? For a guy that's fairly meticulous when it comes to the appropriate way to do wear a tie, pocket square, and on and on, I'm surprised that you tie your shoes the way that you do. I'm not making a cosmetic point either, granny knots are far less secure than square knots. Any chance that you're left-handed and never thought about how you tie your shoes? For what it's worth and to make this topical, fellow Cal grad here and think it's a shame that it's so hard to find a good Cal repp tie. Not sure why anyone would want a tie that says Cal 50 times on it or a repp tie with the word Cal written on it. Seems to me that it sort of defeats the purpose of a tie to represent your school if you look like a clown while wearing it, although I guess that shows how far the necktie has fallen in stature in California.
472_large_image.jpg
pi_1502.jpeg
36-SCSPC.jpg

gusvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
@ zbromer - whole thing looks great, including the shoes (IMO.)

+1, looks fantastic. In fact, so good I ordered a suit's length of 0520 just now which will be sent to Mina as soon as it arrives!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
a2af9969.jpg

30c70b06.jpg

What's up with your photo skills today? Nice shoes, but the rest is a blur...
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
Not sperm:

5EPyc.jpg
[/SPOILER]

I quite like that tie
eh.gif

Originally Posted by zbromer
I've been asked for a picture of how the Minnis 520 Fresco looks when made up as a blazersuit. I know some don't like the points up PS, but I like it with linen squares with colored borders.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
[/SPOILER]

This looks great. Congratulations on the weightloss too.
JkT9i.jpg

u2tz1.jpg

Geyvs.jpg
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
All this stuff looks great.

One question - why don't we try a true conservative business dress thread, or at least a few true conservative business dress posts here - no colored pocket squares, no suede shoes, no brown shoes, no crazy socks.

I don't think anyone would complain if you wanted to post an ultra-conservative business dress fit...
My guess is Mink rather than black.

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
A navy Panama was sighted
110330006.jpg

110330010-1.jpg

110330008.jpg

* A Q for Sir Mantoni - where does the rules sit with wearing black shoes w a knit tie that is not black or navy or grey. As I may have sinned today.. Certainly can't be worse than me not buttoning up my BDs or commissioning a 1B SB BlazerSuit..
Looks good.

I'll eagerly await Manton's comments, but surely black shoes can be worn with anything, it's a proud English tradition
wink.gif
- I agree that not buttoning up your BD's is a sin, but a 1B SB suit is fine
tinfoil.gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
What's up with your photo skills today? Nice shoes, but the rest is a blur...

LOL, busy day, iphone in the early morning light...will throw some better ones up.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
Please don't take any of this the wrong way, I really don't mean any harm. This has been mentioned earlier in the thread but I don't recall a reply. Is the granny knot faux-sprezz, a Manton signature item, or do you really not know how to tie a square knot? For a guy that's fairly meticulous when it comes to the appropriate way to do wear a tie, pocket square, and on and on, I'm surprised that you tie your shoes the way that you do. I'm not making a cosmetic point either, granny knots are far less secure than square knots.

Please tell me this is a joke.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please tell me this is a joke.

My knots used to 'unknot' quite often, before I used the knot as it was intended. I write 'intended', because the two phases of making a good knot strengthen the knot automatically, with a granny knot they don't.

If you don't have problems with 'unknotting', I can see you don't want to change anything. But it's a wrong knot, against the Very Important Rules of Knot Construction (VIRKC).

Srivats around? He's chairman of the VIRKC.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the knots - I just want to know whether those shoes are Mink Suede
smile.gif

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I don't care about the knots - I just want to know whether those shoes are Mink Suede
smile.gif

smile.gif
But it's Very Important, MoK!

(I just checked: yours are okay.)

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's not particularly exciting effort:

20110330_detail.jpg

20110330_shoes.jpg

Apologies for the dodgy post-processing - I'd made a mess of focus and exposure and rescued it as well as I could:

20110330_main.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads