• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfurey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I wish I could go back in time and save up all my gilt credits for one major purchases vs. a dozen random crap purchases (that I didn't even care about, just needed to spend credits).

Pretty sure overall I racked up enough so I could've grabbed a TB suit for almost nothing.

truth. i'm like, "yo, this shirt is only $65," and before you know it I have a closet full of random ass **** I'll never wear vs. one baller ass gilt item that comes around every now and then. my problem is I'm all about retail therapy so buying something satisfies me in the moment, so I'm tempted to impulse buy lots of ****.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
considering jeans are sized based on the waist this makes no sense. sounds to me like you are buying the wrong cut for your legs.
you're right. but it does make sense for trousers (the kind where the waist is easily taken in/let out) in my experience it's almost impossible to find a pair of jeans that fit perfectly. even if they fit perfectly when new they might not fit well broken in. it's craps.

pfurey

Reaction score
sizing up / down for me has more to do with thigh measurements / leg opening than anything else. waists will stretch if you don't frequently wash something (raw jeans).

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
unfortunately at some point in my life i'm going to need to learn to read german. very saddening.
if you're going down that history route, you better learn german, ancient greek, and latin. Pretty much necessary to work in the world of history unless you're only touching modern american stuff
Originally Posted by Lane
teger is an angry english teacher
Is he teaching yet? If so, it's understandable that he's angry.
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
not that long ago wendy's sold 5 nuggets for $1. and that wasn't a deal or nothing that was all day everyday
You can still get this in non-big cities or at least in the souf

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfurey
truth. i'm like, "yo, this shirt is only $65," and before you know it I have a closet full of random ass **** I'll never wear vs. one baller ass gilt item that comes around every now and then. my problem is I'm all about retail therapy so buying something satisfies me in the moment, so I'm tempted to impulse buy lots of ****.

Yeah I have a bunch of crap that was cheap and cost me nothing. Candles, french press, some cheap Diesel jeans where the button flew off (literally, it was a ******* cannon), just stuff that never cost me a cent because gilt credit covered it and I got angsty waiting around for something I actually wanted.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barney's BH today:

Saw a french guy wearing Rick Dunks and he looked tons better than anyone I've seen in either rick or dunks. (wasn't wearing a leather)

Saw two black dudes and both were wearing Balenciaga sneakers. One had the bright glow in the dark ones with some horizontal striped pants, looked pretty terrible.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug

You can still get this in non-big cities or at least in the souf

whatup wit central square wendy's? worst wendy's i've seen. possibly worst in the world.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Diors are here. Everyone says size down but I can just barely button them. Think they'll stretch?
Originally Posted by AR_Six
The ones I just got are 07 sharp notations so they're (apparently) MIJ raws underneath with a fairly light coating.
If they are MIJ raw they will stretch IME. I can never button my diors when i get them. I just wear them a few times around the house without the top button done, with a belt on until the waist stretches. Sounds stupid but that is how I get my fit, which is not a skinny fit. For you AR: if they fit in the thigh, keep them.
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
I'm a 30 and my Diors are a 28 raw. they got a little loose on me which is why I have the 27s next in line
I size down 3
foo.gif
Sizing down 2 for me results in huge pants. Do not want. The end result is not nut-crushing despite fearmongering. I subtract 2 sizes for the vanity sizing, then they stretch one size. Do not try with soccer thighs.
Originally Posted by pfurey
sizing up / down for me has more to do with thigh measurements / leg opening than anything else. waists will stretch if you don't frequently wash something (raw jeans).
Dior waist always stretches (black raw stretches less). Thigh stretches very little. Hence, I size to thigh.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I'm convinced that anyone recommending someone size down on most non-APC denim has virtually no ass or thighs to speak of. Everyone buying into this idea that you automatically need to size down on ever jean out there has probably spiked the number of "Kramer in denim" incidents dramatically since raw denim became popular in the States.

just curious, do you wear Diors? and if so do you wear your true waist size?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to realize how much I dislike loafers. Objectively, I find nothing wrong with them. However for some reason, the majority of the populace defaults to fugly cheap looking loafers as footwear. Of course this is made worse by hipsters trying to rock disgusting thrifted loafers with tapered skinny jeans, one of the worst combinations I see on a daily base
confused.gif

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

going true to size with Diors would be awful. so bad so bad.

Originally Posted by Lel
I'm starting to realize how much I dislike loafers. Objectively, I find nothing wrong with them. However for some reason, the majority of the populace defaults to fugly cheap looking loafers as footwear. Of course this is made worse by hipsters trying to rock disgusting thrifted loafers with tapered skinny jeans, one of the worst combinations I see on a daily base
confused.gif

I don't see a lot of enviable loafer fits out there.

You still at All Saints?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nah, AR's comment just reminded me how APC jeans being notorious for stretching got a lot of people they need to size down for virtually every cut from virtually every brand out there. That and sizing down on anything that is a slimmer cut isn't really an option for dudes who have an ass or bigger thighs. Based on the fit of the waist, I could get away with going down a size for quite a few cuts I've tried on. I wouldn't because a size down would suffocate my thighs and hug my shapely backside too much for comfort.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics