• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official APRIL IN PARIS (custom leather artisan) Thread: Feedback, Pics, Reviews

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Looking forward to the pics! Just got an email from Bea about my bag; it's finished! I mentioned to her that I'd be traveling a lot in spring/summer, so she was able to get it finished quite soon. She'll be mailing tomorrow and I should have it by the end of the week. Will post pictures. I'm very excited. Quick pic from Bea "at the workshop." I'll post better details when I've had receipt of the bag. She sent me this pic to decide whether we wanted a snap/closure in the middle. I chose NOT to have one, to have a more "streamlined" aesthetic. Measurements, as pictured on the previous page, are about 16x15x5, so it's quite a large men's work tote.
QYvuul.jpg
Pic to show color better. As mentioned above, chose NOT to have a snap in the middle (where the paper clip is now). Outside is in very dark/chocolate brown, interior in taupe/denim blue. Gold toned hardware.
qdiSAl.jpg
Color combo: Exterior (dark brown); interior (taupe); interior pockets and lining (denim/petrol blue) Leathers: "Stingray" print calf (grained calf leather, something like a more durable Hermes Togo, but not as "slouchy" as Clemence.)
wYDbG.jpg

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
excited.

I share your excitement.

Many bespoke clothes maker worth seeking out there, but only one worthwhile bespoke leather maker so far - AiP.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

- M

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. And what a coincidence, I was just in her shop today ordering a wallet.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Very nice. And what a coincidence, I was just in her shop today ordering a wallet.

Excellent! Hey, tell her I sent you... maybe she'll give me a discount (haha just kidding!)

Be sure and post pics when you receive your item. I'd really like this thread to be a comprehensive resource for those considering bespoke top-quality leather goods and accessories.
smile.gif

I'm still trying to get iammatt to snap some pics of his AiP goods and post them here.
wink.gif

hatguy

Reaction score
has anyone had a belt made? would be interested in pics.

sclemmons

Reaction score
She has made me two belts and two watch bands. I got the Bea reversible belt with black grain/ brown smooth calf and an green alligator belt. I got the green alligator watch band to match, and a red alligator watch band. Swatches and samples here: http://www.aprilinparis.us/shop/shop_2.php Bea is a real pro, and a relationship with her is like having your own personal Hermes on call, only more accommodating and cheaper.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Be sure and post pics when you receive your item.
Will do...in 4-6 weeks
smile.gif
The weak sauce tl;dr part to this story is that in the fall of 2009 my employer moved offices from the Presidio to about a 10min walk away from AiP, and it's taken me this long to haul ****** down there and order the wallet. But, perhaps fortune was on my side this time as she had exactly the lizard skin I wanted. Well, I didn't know what skin/color I wanted when I walked into the shop; but the instant I saw it, I knew; like Darth Vader did the rebels on Hoth. A deep burgundy, butter-soft lizard and some really interesting variations in the grain/pattern. Hopefully it will be ready before my 2-week trip in early May, otherwise it will make a nice welcome home.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but does she make everything herself, or does she have a team of workers?

hatguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sclemmons
She has made me two belts and two watch bands.

I got the Bea reversible belt with black grain/ brown smooth calf and an green alligator belt.

I got the green alligator watch band to match, and a red alligator watch band.

Swatches and samples here:

http://www.aprilinparis.us/shop/shop_2.php

Bea is a real pro, and a relationship with her is like having your own personal Hermes on call, only more accommodating and cheaper.

thanks. are there more buckle options? could you post some "real life" pictures of the belts?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but does she make everything herself, or does she have a team of workers?
She does most of it herself, I think. I think she may have a very few others who may work in her shop on smaller leather goods like belts and wallets, but in any case it's a small operation. But, I'm not sure, and others who have been in the shop may know. Historically, though, she did it almost all herself. IIRC, she used to have her leather stand in the middle of her shop and customers who were browsing could watch her do some of the work.

veloaudio

Reaction score
Wallet just arrived!!

AiP_Wallet_1.jpg

AiP_Wallet_2.jpg

My goal was a vertical wallet that I could put in a back or front pant pocket, as well as a sport coat pocket. It holds 4 cards on the right. Originally the design was 3 but Bea called me before she started and said she could fit 4. I don't normally carry a lot of cash but I can fold up a few bills and slide them behind the back left pocket. I can also put receipts in the same pocket. The front left will hold my debit card which is what I use most. Insurance cards (thin) fit nicely behind the 4 cards. Size is 5" x 3". Colors are dark brown outside and taupe inside [pure coincidence, Rach, great minds, etc.]

Wallet came out perfect. Bea was excellent to do business with and I will definitely use her again as I'm already thinking about some bag designs for an anniversary present for my wife.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by veloaudio
Wallet just arrived!! Size is 5" x 3". Colors are dark brown outside and taupe inside [pure coincidence, Rach, great minds, etc.]

Wallet came out perfect. Bea was excellent to do business with and I will definitely use her again as I'm already thinking about some bag designs for an anniversary present for my wife.

I thought those colors looked familiar (haha) Wallet looks great! My bag is en route and should arrive Monday. I'll be pacing around waiting for the UPS man, and will post pics upon arrival.

Agreed that Bea has been a real pleasure, and her flexibility and communication to get you exactly what you want/need is great. Whatever you decide for your wife, I'm sure it will be great.

Although, the toughest thing will be selecting the leather and color; Bea has so many that would look great on a woman's bag. Her very bright aqua/turqoise is gorgeous.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bag arrived today! I'm really thrilled with the result. I will post a few pics, but they won't do it justice, for a few reasons: (1) I'm not a good photographer, and I don't have a good camera or lighting. (2) The bag was designed to be a VERY minimal, streamlined shopper that didn't reveal much about itself unless you were REALLY close to it. All of the dozens of "tweaks" were very subtle, and intended to fly under the radar. That being said, I'm THRILLED with the result. The leather used, the construction, and the finish are perfect, as you'd expect at this level and this pricepoint. The customer service was outstanding, and everything from start to finish was as I ordered. Will DEFINITELY be using her again for my next bag idea. Exterior: Measures about 16X15, colored in dark brown "stingray" calf. It reminds me in feel and quality of something between Hermes Togo and Clemence. Not as dull as togo, or slouchy as clemence. A really wonderful hide.
UEi7n.jpg
From the side
GF5dL.jpg
WkYsA.jpg
Interior:
VJF0H.jpg
eiuV9.jpg
Some better details of stitching, edging, etc.
IV2xb.jpg
O6DXp.jpg
95BGu.jpg
Bottom edges:
Z4Ibs.jpg
Handles:
f8Bsq.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm so happy you guys enjoyed working with Bea. I am quite fond of her, and have used her extensively. The bag and wallet look great. I believe she still works in plain site, and I think she has a little help, but not much. Maybe a person or two, all trained by her. She is very (and rightfully) proud of the edging. I've seen her do it. It is an extensive job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads