• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Please don't bring this up again, it was annoying enough the first time around.

???

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Situation: It's a nice day and you want to smoke a cigar.

IF THIS WAS NEW YORK: You'd open a window in your apt, maybe step onto your fire escape and smoke your cigar. But this is SF so you can't do that as you live in a non-smoking building. And you can't do it on the street out front as you're not allowed to smoke within 15 feet of the door. So you go to a local park where you grab a bench and light up, only to suffer the stares, glares, condemning looks, whispers, eye rolls and one brave idiot who approaches you, points a finger at the pile of ash at your feet and says, "You're going to clean that up, right?"

lefty

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Situation: It's a nice day and you want to smoke a cigar.

IF THIS WAS NEW YORK: You'd open a window in your apt, maybe step onto your fire escape and smoke your cigar. But this is SF so you can't do that as you live in a non-smoking building. And you can't do it on the street out front as you're not allowed to smoke within 15 feet of the door. So you go to a local park where you grab a bench and light up, only to suffer the stares, glares, condemning looks, whispers, eye rolls and one brave idiot who approaches you, points a finger at the pile of ash at your feet and says, "You're going to clean that up, right?"

lefty

But if you smoked a joint, nobody would give you a second look. I once saw a clean cut, nicely dressed guy smoking a joint in front of the SF Fed, while two cops stood twenty feet away on the corner, just looking around, chatting with each other.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Situation: You have come home from a long day or work and don't have the energy to focus on cooking, so you call for something to be delivered.

IF THIS WAS NEW YORK: blah blah blah .... You tip the delivery person a fair amount (10%, $2 minimum), and depending on their mode of transportation they will be grateful or not- if they are on a bike, the 10% is fine. If they are driving an SUV, they will scowl at you for anything less than 20%.
if my food delivery person drives an SUV to drop off my $13 Pad See Ew, he is getting a $40 tip in exchange for a series of question on how I can ace the interview to also be a food delivery person.

gungadin25

Reaction score
Parts of SF are OK, but the checkerboard nature of the city (in terms of safe/nice and unsafe/not nice) is part of the reason I don't like it overall.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gungadin25
Parts of SF are OK, but the checkerboard nature of the city (in terms of safe/nice and unsafe/not nice) is part of the reason I don't like it overall.
What?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
But if you smoked a joint, nobody would give you a second look. I once saw a clean cut, nicely dressed guy smoking a joint in front of the SF Fed, while two cops stood twenty feet away on the corner, just looking around, chatting with each other.

Oh hai, sorry I missed you!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gungadin25
Are you from Contra Costa?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez. Reading this thread makes me think I should have booked a flight to Seattle and had a drink at ZigZag.
Waiters are way too chummy and have no idea how do do their job. Look, pal - you are not part of our conversation; don't touch me when telling me the specials; and don't remove an empty plate until we're all finished.
Yeah, don't touch me. You don't get to touch me. Ever.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Are you from Contra Costa?

Hey, watch it buddy.........
smile.gif

Canvas08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Geez. Reading this thread makes me think I should have booked a flight to Seattle and had a drink at ZigZag.

Yeah, don't touch me. You don't get to touch me. Ever.

a waiter touching you sounds like a problem with the waiter. not the city.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Canvas08
a waiter touching you sounds like a problem with the waiter. not the city.

We call it "value-add".

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alvy Singer: The... the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." That's the key joke of my adult life...

lefty

laugh.gif
and this one:

'this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs'

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and this..

Alvy and Annie are seeing their therapists at the same time on a split screen....
Alvy Singer's Therapist: How often do you sleep together?
Annie Hall's Therapist: Do you ******** often?
Alvy Singer: [lamenting] Hardly ever. Maybe three times a week.
Annie Hall: [annoyed] Constantly. I'd say three times a week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads