• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Nice shoulders on this jacket, PG.
Nice outfit overall, actually, just don't let
foo.gif
catch you with this pocket square...

Originally Posted by TRINI
Even with the matchy-matchy pocket square?
Originally Posted by Manton
Yeah, white would be better. Or a totally unmatched silk paisely.
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Very conservative business dress, and nicely done, although the square looks a little close to the tie.
- DANG - I only wanted the WHITES to show..
- I agree
Now that is conservative business dress by God, even with the hat.
- O Oh.. I'm wearing a navy hat today.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I've been asked for a picture of how the Minnis 520 Fresco looks when made up as a blazersuit. I know some don't like the points up PS, but I like it with linen squares with colored borders.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This is great, shoes and all.

Mike

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
110329011.jpg

Just a thought and with all due respect PG, this picture reminded me of when Edward Sexton pointed out to me that the eyes move from the cuffs on the trousers to the flaps on the jacket's hip pockets, to the breast welt pocket - on a lounge suit with notched lapels.

This in contradistinction to no cuffs trousers, double besoms hip, then breast welt - on peaked lapels.

You probably tucked the flaps in.

- M

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Just a thought and with all due respect PG, this picture reminded me of when Edward Sexton pointed out to me that the eyes move from the cuffs on the trousers to the flaps on the jacket's hip pockets, to the breast welt pocket - on a lounge suit with notched lapels.

This in contradistinction to no cuffs trousers, double besoms hip, then breast welt - on peaked lapels.

You probably tucked the flaps in.

- M

I'm sorry, but what are you trying to say?

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
trying

Flaps on his jacket's hip pockets would look less interrupted, to me.

- M

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Dude, Awesome.

IMAGE_020.jpg

Might put some elbow patches on this jacket, and when the weather finally turns I may take 1" off the bottom as well.

I like the shoes. Mind sharing the maker and model? Thanks.

-LR

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom

-LR

Don't shorten the jacket. If you do you'll only look trendy.
Moreover, after shortening, the pockets usually look low
and the vent(s) will appear to be on the short side.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
All this stuff looks great. One question - why don't we try a true conservative business dress thread, or at least a few true conservative business dress posts here - no colored pocket squares, no suede shoes, no brown shoes, no crazy socks. I think there's real beauty in true conservative dress and its simplicity. Look at PG a few posts above this one. He looks absolutely fantastic, just with the basics, and he's not "bending" the rules. He's adhering to them. This would obviously be boring to see go on for 100 pages but it's also frankly a bit boring to see all these posts where we're supposed to applaud a great outfit as being even greater just because -- oooh -- he's "bending" the rules by introducing that dash of unexpected color, or that non-conservative business dress texture.
peepwall[1].gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not the "You must wear a white shirt, solid gray or navy suit, plain tie and black stitch caps" thread. It's about dressing with a little flair without going overboard.

Outside of a handful of the most conservative firms in London and maybe one or two other cities in Europe, brown shoes have been perfectly fine with a gray suit for probably the last 70 years.

Get it?

Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
All this stuff looks great.

One question - why don't we try a true conservative business dress thread, or at least a few true conservative business dress posts here - no colored pocket squares, no suede shoes, no brown shoes, no crazy socks.

I think there's real beauty in true conservative dress and its simplicity. Look at PG a few posts above this one. He looks absolutely fantastic, just with the basics, and he's not "bending" the rules. He's adhering to them.

This would obviously be boring to see go on for 100 pages but it's also frankly a bit boring to see all these posts where we're supposed to applaud a great outfit as being even greater just because -- oooh -- he's "bending" the rules by introducing that dash of unexpected color, or that non-conservative business dress texture.

peepwall[1].gif

i agree with you johnny. go and start that thread.

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
^^ I know those of you who live where it's cold are sick of wearing flannel, but I'm envious.

Are you having a laugh? Sick of wearing flannel? Never.

Originally Posted by mmkn
Flaps on his jacket's hip pockets would look less interrupted, to me.

- M

Sorry, this doesn't makes sense to me.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom

Thanks! They're the Polo stanton model, made in italy.

-LR

Originally Posted by comrade
Don't shorten the jacket. If you do you'll only look trendy.
Moreover, after shortening, the pockets usually look low
and the vent(s) will appear to be on the short side.

This thread has proved to be the voice of reason, and I appreciate it.

JkT9i.jpg

u2tz1.jpg

Geyvs.jpg

Awesome Manton, really spectacular.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been asked for a picture of how the Minnis 520 Fresco looks when made up as a blazersuit. I know some don't like the points up PS, but I like it with linen squares with colored borders.
3.jpg

The more I see photos and swatches of the 0520 the more I like it. Well done! If I ever get another BlazerSuit it may be this one. z - would you say this photograph is a good representation of the in-real-life color? I've found it hard to pinpoint the exact shade. Also, is that shirt made by Peter Lee? While I know it's a popular style fabric, it really looks like a few I have by him.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I left my huge head in today for the "boxy" crew.
Huge head makes a huge diff
smile.gif
Also: nice rig.

Originally Posted by ManofKent
I like the tie, but yeah, the square would be better as a green paisley madder.

Originally Posted by TRINI
What fabric is the suit?
inlove.gif

I've been asked for a picture of how the Minnis 520 Fresco looks when made up as a blazersuit.
Really nice. How do you like the fabric? Any reservations?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads