• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then what the **** is the point? And don't say "a foundation to move on from" that doesn't mean anything. You're not being honest with yourself.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it doesnt make sense, maybe its illogical, but simply put, I can only begin to move on after I hear her say goodbye, and I say goodbye, then I walk away, and move on.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats bullshit. You're saying she is in control over whether you move on or not.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MarkI has out-
foo.gif
'd
foo.gif

I understand your need for closure, but please, please don't go to dinner with this woman. Meet at a coffee shop, say your piece, and leave.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Thats bullshit. You're saying she is in control over whether you move on or not.

This is not true, I just want to ******* say goodbye, and walk away with some sense of closure, this up in the air **** is ridiculous. And it comes from her end, thats why I say goodbye.

Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
MarkI has out-
foo.gif
'd
foo.gif

I understand your need for closure, but please, please don't go to dinner with this woman. Meet at a coffee shop, say your piece, and leave.

I said in an earlier post, dinner was just something that was said, I doubt well even go anywhere other than a ******* walk

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI
This is not true, I just want to ******* say goodbye, and walk away with some sense of closure, this up in the air **** is ridiculous. And it comes from her end, thats why I say goodbye.

Maybe it doesnt make sense, maybe its illogical, but simply put, I can only begin to move on after I hear her say goodbye, and I say goodbye, then I walk away, and move on.

facepalm.gif

According to you, this "up in the air ****" is coming from her, whatever you say to her is not going to change her story. There is no last word, "here's looking at you kid" scenario that is going to make any of this easier. You're just delaying what is bound to be an already lengthy and painful process.

pstoller

Reaction score
Alright, so instead relationships should go on, indefinitely in some strange topsy turvy state, where neither party has straight out said that they are no longer together?

I don't know about you people, but after spending a year and a half of my life with someone, I would much rather say goodbye, and then, with a foundation on which I can solidly say that it is over, begin to move on.

I do not think there is inherently anything wrong with this.

There isn't, so long as both parties play by those rules. In your case, neither party has, and you've given us no reason (beyond your solemn word) to believe that's going to change. Your long goodbye has been all "long" and no "goodbye." So, your real choice is between: 1) both parties stop seeing/calling/texting/whatevering each other, and the relationship is actually over; and 2) both parties keep seeing/calling/texting/whatevering each other to say that the relationship is over (kinda sorta maybe), ad infinitum. The latter is what you've been doing for weeks.

Closure only works when you close.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whatever. Dude just tell us in explicit detail what happens at your dinner/walk.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pstoller
There isn't, so long as both parties play by those rules. In your case, neither party has, and you've given us no reason (beyond your solemn word) to believe that's going to change. Your long goodbye has been all "long" and no "goodbye." So, your real choice is between: 1) both parties stop seeing/calling/texting/whatevering each other, and the relationship is actually over; and 2) both parties keep seeing/calling/texting/whatevering each other to say that the relationship is over (kinda sorta maybe), ad infinitum. The latter is what you've been doing for weeks.

Closure only works when you close.

Or how about, one party says goodbye, because they are sick of the way the other party is acting?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
holy **** i never thought i'd see an sf poster more myopic than foo, BUT LO AND BEHOLD

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or how about, one party says goodbye, because they are sick of the way the other party is acting?

laugh.gif
If you were really sick of it, you wouldn't have any desire to subject yourself to any more of it.

pstoller

Reaction score

You had me at, "I need some time apart."

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
laugh.gif
If you were really sick of it, you wouldn't have any desire to subject yourself to any more of it.

I don't, and that's why i'm saying goodbye.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't, and that's why i'm saying goodbye.

Closure, eh?
rolleyes.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads