• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, so instead relationships should go on, indefinitely in some strange topsy turvy state, where neither party has straight out said that they are no longer together?

I don't know about you people, but after spending a year and a half of my life with someone, I would much rather say goodbye, and then, with a foundation on which I can solidly say that it is over, begin to move on.

I do not think there is inherently anything wrong with this.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 What Jodum5 said, mrjames you need to wash yourself and start over man, that **** ain't healthy.

MarkI you've better give us updates.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
marki THE RELATIONSHIP ENDED WHEN YOU BROKE UP. IT'S ALREADY OVER.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mrjames take down the pictures, that is not going anywhere good. You say you like the 3rd girl, but in the description of your relationship you seem fairly callous. You imply you don't treat her as well as you have others because she is not as physically attractive as other girls you have dated/want to date. To me that smacks of insecurity on your part. You say you like her, but won't introduce her as your girlfriend? You think her physical appearance reflects badly on you or what? You either find her attractive or you don't, in either case how 'objectively' attractive she is shouldn't matter. **** your friends, sounds like they have been douches. Bad luck, it sounds like you have had a pretty rough time. Steer clear of the previous two exes, nothing good down that road by the sound of it. Work out what it is you want from the third girl and then you should probably treat her right or cut her loose. Reading between the lines it seems she clearly thinks highly of you, she would have to, to put up with the behaviour you describe. She thinks of you as a boyfriend, you are treating her as a bit on the side, which in my view is pretty ****** behaviour. markI - Teger is being a bit of an arsehole about it, but he probably is right. If I think about how I was thinking when I was really down going through a breakup - I would probably be behaving in much the same way as you are so, I definitely understand and sympathise, but it is still a pretty stupid way to behave though. Since you won't be dissuaded I hope your meal goes as well as it possibly can.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI
Alright, so instead relationships should go on, indefinitely in some strange topsy turvy state, where neither party has straight out said that they are no longer together?

I don't know about you people, but after spending a year and a half of my life with someone, I would much rather say goodbye, and then, with a foundation on which I can solidly say that it is over, begin to move on.

Just a guess, but most people are probably shaking their head at this dinner date because they know it WON'T be goodbye.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
marki THE RELATIONSHIP ENDED WHEN YOU BROKE UP. IT'S ALREADY OVER.

She hasn't said it, she said i'm putting her in a hard place because i'm making her decide whether to be together, or have me out of her life entirely.

This has been the basis for this ******* 3 week emotional roller-coaster.

I'm sick of it, if she hasn't decided by now, she wont, I dont think, WHICH IS WHY IM PUTTING AN END TO IT TOMORROW NIGHT.

I don't see what is so hard to understand.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Just a guess, but most people are probably shaking their head at this dinner date because they know it WON'T be goodbye.

It will be.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
She hasn't said it, she said i'm putting her in a hard place because i'm making her decide whether to be together, or have me out of her life entirely. This has been the basis for this ******* 3 week emotional roller-coaster. I'm sick of it, if she hasn't decided by now, she wont, I dont think, WHICH IS WHY IM PUTTING AN END TO IT TOMORROW NIGHT. I don't see what is so hard to understand.
oh my god kill me did you get like 400 on your SATs?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The point is, as you will learn, that things aren't over when you say they are over - they are over when you are actually over it, which will only happen after spending a significant time out of contact.

Here's a pro tip: bad relationships (hell, good ones that end as well) never get "resolved," you simply stop caring about what went wrong or why it went wrong. There is no greater understanding to come to, merely apathy, or grace.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
oh my god kill me

did you get like 400 on your SATs?

Perfect grades on my SATs, accepted to all Ivy Leagues I applied too.

Not like those things really mean **** anyways.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
The point is, as you will learn, that things aren't over when you say they are over - they are over when you are actually over it, which will only happen after spending a significant time out of contact.

Here's a pro tip: bad relationships (hell, good ones that end as well) never get "resolved," you simply stop caring about what went wrong or why it went wrong. There is no greater understanding to come to, merely apathy, or grace.

I understand this very well, but I feel like for me PERSONALLY, I don't know about anyone else, but for myself, it provides some sort of closure, and like a said a foundation to move on from, when I see her, and I tell her face to face, that this is over.

Different strokes for different folks.

Even bullshit relationships Ive had that have lasted like 3 months, I liked to end this way.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. MarkI had perfect SAT scores, accepted to all the Ivy's he "applied" to, but goes to school in New York.

Hey bud maybe you can proxy me some of your excess stupidity.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand this very well, but I feel like for me PERSONALLY, I don't know about anyone else, but for myself, it provides some sort of closure, and like a said a foundation to move on from, when I see her, and I tell her face to face, that this is over.

Different strokes for different folks.

Even bullshit relationships Ive had that have lasted like 3 months, I liked to end this way.

Whatever "bullshit" relationships you have had before have no bearing here. It appears that you really care about this girl so things will be different. It will not be easy to get over. Talking will not provide closure. Maybe understanding, maybe rational closure. But, it will never provide you with emotional closure. It will never make you feel better.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
So let me get this straight. MarkI had perfect SAT scores, accepted to all the Ivy's he "applied" to, but goes to school in New York.

Hey bud maybe you can proxy me some of your excess stupidity.

I've lived in New York all my life, and prefer it here. I go to Brooklyn College, I intend on going to law school. I hardly come from a wealthy family, the difference left from scholarships, was not something I wanted to end up owing in loans.

For law school, i'll aim for a great school, for my bachelors it doesn't concern me as much.

In any case, this has nothing to do with anything.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Whatever "bullshit" relationships you have had before have no bearing here. It appears that you really care about this girl so things will be different. It will not be easy to get over. Talking will not provide closure. Maybe understanding, maybe rational closure. But, it will never provide you with emotional closure. It will never make you feel better.

And i'm not expecting it too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads