• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Oh, didn't realize you were in Tokyo.
Anyway, Alden has used different edges on their shoes. Guess you need to decide if it is black or dark brown. My guess is that it's black.

Per Alden SF it's brown. That's what I use.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ A problem with that graphic is "size down 1/2" is primary size advice *only if* the shoes you are considering are offered in *only one* width.

Shoes are sized in length (the number) and width (the letter). There is no "Alden 9." The graphic assumes that all 9s are the same width (i.e., 9D). This misses one of the great advantages that shoes of Alden's quality can offer ... more precise sizing options.

If multiple widths are available, "size down one width" could (or should) be better advice.

E.g., if 10D is a perfect fit for you on the Plaza, the 9.5D Van might be a little too short and a little too wide compared to the 10C Van.

But ... if you are considering a special make-up that is only offered in D widths ... then the 10.5D Van will surely fit better than the 11D Van.

mcross4

Reaction score
I know they're simple, but I really appreciate the simplicity of these AF89s. A basic black boot is hard to find. I've worn them a few times now and they feel great.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good point Dewey. I take a 12D in most shoes and usually size down 1/2 size for Barrie, Grant, Trubalance, Tremont. I also own a pair of size 11E Cordovan Chukkas on the Barrie last and they fit great. I also fit into a 11D Trubalance if I wear dress socks. The range of fits vary greatly.

Another example: most people say Plaza fits TTS but I find myself in between sizes. I have two pairs in Cordovan, one in 12D and one in 11.5D and they both fit well depending on what socks I wear. I think at the end of the day I would rather size down half a size and stay with the D width instead of sizing down one full size and getting an E width. Unless that E width is on sale of course
devil.gif

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
Cigar cap toes? On the Aberdeen last? From where?

Sherman brothers. They are also doing something in whiskey. I think it's a medallion toe blucher but I don't remember.

Cacatfish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcross4
I know they're simple, but I really appreciate the simplicity of these AF89s. A basic black boot is hard to find. I've worn them a few times now and they feel great.

Couldnt agree more.
Love those boots.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently received these ravello chukka boots. To my displeasure the left toe box has these strange striation like stretch marks? I wouldn't mind if it was on the heel or somewhere else besides the toe box. The right shoe was perfect. I've heard plenty of stories about Alden recent quality issues but now I believe it. I tried brushing them out with a horse hair brush to no avail.

My camera skills suck, they look a lot worse IRL.

IMG_3168_1.jpg

mcross4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
Chromexcel Tuesday

pZYx2l.jpg

Notes:

The "Clipper Oxford" has been in the Alden catalog for nearly 100 years and is one of their best selling patterns to this day.

Crafted from Brown Chromexcel leather from Chicago's Horween Leather Co.

360 degree reverse welt, painted brown brass eyelets, full leather linings, natural cork insole, full heel counters and steel shank through the arch for long lasting comfort and support.

Very versitile.

Commando sole (Leffots recently had a similar shoe with blind eyelets & a crepe sole)

Currently, my favorite shoe.

Beautiful shoe! Where did those come from?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
I recently received these ravello chukka boots. To my displeasure the left toe box has these strange striation like stretch marks? I wouldn't mind if it was on the heel or somewhere else besides the toe box. The right shoe was perfect. I've heard plenty of stories about Alden recent quality issues but now I believe it. I tried brushing them out with a horse hair brush to no avail. My camera skills suck, they look a lot worse IRL.
I've seen stretch marks before in lighter color shell cordovan. It's a characteristic of shell. That sounds more like a Horween issue than Alden. Granted, Alden should probably catch the fault in the leather. They don't go away, at least not quickly.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I've seen stretch marks before in lighter color shell cordovan. It's a characteristic of shell. That sounds more like a Horween issue than Alden. Granted, Alden should probably catch the fault in the leather. They don't go away, at least not quickly.

Yeah, I sent them back to shoemart today and ordered another pair through Alden SF this time. Lets see how this pair looks, lol.

Beyachad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
I recently received these ravello chukka boots. To my displeasure the left toe box has these strange striation like stretch marks? I wouldn't mind if it was on the heel or somewhere else besides the toe box. The right shoe was perfect. I've heard plenty of stories about Alden recent quality issues but now I believe it. I tried brushing them out with a horse hair brush to no avail.

My camera skills suck, they look a lot worse IRL.

IMG_3168_1.jpg

Are these the size 8.5D I returned last month? The finish bothered me too - for the price they should be in better condition.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beyachad
Are these the size 8.5D I returned last month? The finish bothered me too - for the price they should be in better condition.

F**K! I knew that someone must've returned them. I was initially going to order from Alden SF but since I'm in CT i figured it be quicker (shipping wise) to go through shoemart. I was a tad suspicious that they had this size available. Those A** Holes! They should have taken them off their site when you returned them. Did you end up getting another pair?

smah

Reaction score
Hello SF Members-
Has anyone experienced really slippery situations with their 'waterlock' oiled soles?
I have had serious near falls with oiled soles on polished stone/marble floors on rainy days and these are with broken-in well worn shoes. Anyone else? I am seriously considering NOT ever getting oiled soles ever again especially because my local shoe fix-it guru can't place a rubber half sole on them due to the oil in the sole which won't allow a good bond with adhesives. Just can't wear them on rainy days, I suppose. Anyone else have issues like mine?
Thanks-
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads