• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
do you like heidegger? i keep posting about this, but apparently nobody on sf has read any sort of good german philosophy from weimar/the earlier 1900s.
heidigger is literally indecipherable. maybe the most painful thing ive read, much worse than proust (so boring) or joyce (ugh). i really, really like carl schmitt and ernst junger. their philosophy is less pure philosophy and more political theory.
I do like Heidegger, or what I've read. I dunno, I don't remember you having much of a philosophy background so that probably isn't helpful. It's not that bad compared to Kant. Heidegger does like to pile on the terms and it takes some time shifting the puzzle pieces against one another. Also he just has a weird temperament and rhythm but eventually I found myself enjoying it and savoring not only the occasional gratifying poetic passages but also the dry repetitious stuff. is kind of predictable in a good way. YMMV. what're you reading that's torturing you? also I don't know what is more challenging than finnegan's wake, ulysses also is ridiculous but at least approachable, heidegger is helpful in comparison. have not read schmitt or junger, I am taking of "visions of utopia" seminar right now though so they are relevant in a way. my understanding is both are sort of derivative of hegel and nietzsche but less grand-scheming and more socio-political.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
scott m is reflective of troubling youth culture

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
I mentioned this recently; I still never know if Scott.m is just ******* with us or actually serious because it seems to me post 1 never happened for the first ~year he was on here. He has either acquired a real life persona that has translated to the interweb or acquired a new interweb persona. Or hell I don't know maybe he was just being shy originally. It's not a bad thing I just always read his posts like he's being facetious or ironic.

The world may never know.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
I do like Heidegger, or what I've read. I dunno, I don't remember you having much of a philosophy background so that probably isn't helpful. It's not that bad compared to Kant. Heidegger does like to pile on the terms and it takes some time shifting the puzzle pieces against one another. Also he just has a weird temperament and rhythm but eventually I found myself enjoying it and savoring not only the occasional gratifying poetic passages but also the dry repetitious stuff. is kind of predictable in a good way. YMMV. what're you reading that's torturing you?

have not read schmitt or junger, I am taking of "visions of utopia" seminar right now though so they are relevant in a way. my understanding is both are sort of derivative of hegel and nietzsche but less grand-scheming and more socio-political.

im approaching the philosophy from the point of view of intellectual/cultural history and less pure philosophy. i just really, really hate heidegger's 'time and being'. i think schmitt and junger are less derivative and more adaptational - trying to reconcile modern thought with ww1. that's why i like junger. not only did he practice what he preached (he was wounded something like 14 times in the war, and was at the front for 4 years), he seems to be able to temper his philosophy with a good dose of reality. have you read hannah arendt?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You can tell the answer to that question by looking at his face. Is he white? Then it's ironic.

Right?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uncontrol and i don't e-like each other. i don't like him because he's tacky, and to me that's the greatest sin of all

Tackiness is only surpassed by boringness in the hierarchy of mortal sins.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
the worst sin is being morbidly obese. or having children.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also re: scottm I only just turned 22 a month ago and post a lot of gratuitous hip hop references myself.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah I dunno, I've only read excerpts of being and time and the origin of the work of art. What were you assigned this for? I think you can read anything out of context and get stuff out of it, but it's important to at least have a shallow awareness of the tradition that Heidegger is writing in opposition to. that probably sounds a lot worse than I mean it but I guess, it's hard to get into what he's saying if you haven't read much philosophy. Actually it's hard to get into for many people who have read lots of philosophy. Heidegger is certainly a flavor, I understand your frustration. He uses words (nouns become verbs) in ways we're not used to, definitely is jarring at times.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
90% of the people being bitchy on this forum can be boiled down to HE DOESN'T POST THINGS THAT I LIKE OR FIND RELEVANT. Ergo, the bitchiest people are the ones that care the most about what goes on on the forum, and hence, are the saddest ones.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Also re: scottm I only just turned 22 a month ago and post a lot of gratuitous hip hop references myself.

I listened to a large amount of death metal while lifting yesterday and you came to mind (no ****)

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
I listened to a large amount of death metal while lifting yesterday and you came to mind (no ****)

fistbump.gif

I think it's already been established that we are the same person.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ndc on gilt tomororw. will kop black side-zips if in my size. What is the equivalent of a US7.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads