• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Stopped in at the place I rarely buy anything from to make a donation so that I wouldn't run back into my own stuff while thrifting
smile.gif
(they have a better value eye than I do so I will never find a good deal there--They have furniture and design stuff on the level of Frenchy's finds...but priced at what Frenchy flips it for)
IMG_1861.jpg

Sweet finds man, I'd keep that one for sure if I found that.
Originally Posted by cpmac7
Ok it took me a while to get over my hang over from spring break
laugh.gif
and to get some pictures done but here it is......
March25-132.jpg
-

Very very nice. Great jacket, good luck with selling it! btw: would you guys pick up older WW Chan suits? I found like 4 of them all in the same, large size at a Goodwill on Sunday. They were all made in the 90s so I passed on those, but one was from something like 2004 and looked pretty good so I picked it up.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpmac7
Ok it took me a while to get over my hang over from spring break
laugh.gif
and to get some pictures done but here it is......

March25-132.jpg

Double and triple everything that everyone has said so far about the Sulka. This is one beautiful jacket, and it should sell for a ton.

Awesome photos too. Spot-on lighting that really shows off the texture and color.

matstyleku

Reaction score
Quick stop at a place I deemed as not worthy of stopping actually had a couple finds today.
- Unknown brand, only store tag and fabric tag, but super 130s, double vented, lots of pick stitching, fully canvassed, lots of other handiwork and surgeon's cuff. I got for my brother as I have that recent oxxford Navy suit pick up, but it fits me perfectly, so may not fit him. O well. I will post tag later to see if I can get a make. It's tagged with italian size, so it should be interesting.

- Brooks brother Golden fleece navy suit. I couldn't get this one because it wasn't priced. The guy who brought it up to the counter was given a price of 10 bucks for it, but he passed. From what I could tell, pretty decent: fully canvassed, hand sewn buttons holes. There was a tear in the inner lining by the arm pit though. 10$. worth the trip in the AM to get it? I believe it was a size 39, again my size.

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I bought them to flip, but they're my size, nice lambskin, and I need a pair of plain black shoes for formal dress. What do you guys think? Too square?

Do what I do, keep them to wear until you find a suitable replacement. They don't seem that square to me.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found a couple of great-looking Thomas Pink shirts that were right up my alley...until I reach the counter and begin checkout and notice that they're gd mis-shelved LADYSHIRTS!

Again.

Oh well. At least the counter lady loves me now; she kept them for herself.

Which is all to say that I've just listed five pairs of size 31-34 trousers in the trading thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=594

Come at me, bros!

devil.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
San Franciscans.

I was in your 'hood over the wknd and what did I find?! Nothing!!!!!!

Did well the first time but horrible this last.

SF, til we meet again

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
...a YSL skinny grey wool tie (yeah, YSL is whatever, but I've been wanting one like this)...
gapyslbarberaties.jpg

I picked up that YSL tie in navy a few months ago and it's become a go-to tie. I love it.

Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Did some San Francisco thrifting on Sunday. Found a Barbera knit tie and a Kiton cashmere double-breasted suit jacket that will be transformed, as if by magic, into a blazer. Grabbed a very nice Barbera shirt for $35 at the consignment store, too.

Originally Posted by k4lnamja
San Franciscans.

I was in your 'hood over the wknd and what did I find?! Nothing!!!!!!

Did well the first time but horrible this last.

SF, til we meet again

Originally Posted by Nataku
That's odd - I thought SF was a goldmine!

I've all but given up thrifting on weekends. It's a fool's game of timing: you have to get lucky enough to show up when they put new stock out. I'll swing by if I'm too close to a store not to, but I never go out to thrift on the weekends anymore.

But it's been pretty dry here, lately... I've gotten some staples, but nothing in the realm of scoring. Maybe I'm jaded, though. BB BDs and Tyrwhitt FC shirts just don't get my heart going like they used to, ya know?
laugh.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matstyleku

- Brooks brother Golden fleece navy suit. I couldn't get this one because it wasn't priced. The guy who brought it up to the counter was given a price of 10 bucks for it, but he passed. From what I could tell, pretty decent: fully canvassed, hand sewn buttons holes. There was a tear in the inner lining by the arm pit though. 10$. worth the trip in the AM to get it? I believe it was a size 39, again my size.

For 10 bucks? Hell yes. Most places charge twice that much for much crappier stuff. It's not the world's greatest suit, but it's a nice one. And in a nice basic color, and in your size. Tears in the lining can be sewn up easily enough, or ignored.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay - Trying one last time to post decent photos here. Yes, I created separate thread which some of you may have caught, but once I found this thread again I wanted to get the crowd here.
The basics: Zegna sports jacket from resale shop for $24 plus tax on 76%-off sale. Likely from 1990s but in excellent condition - really like new. European 50/U.S. 40 good, too. Gorgeous, totally silk/cashmere combination with rayon, full lining and three-button. All the right labels and originally from Saks.
All sources indicate a jacket like this off the rack would go for somewhere in the range of $1,700 to $2500. So I'm happy. Now I just hope the photos open properly....

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Meanwhile, I did part with $12 for this Burberry London that actually DID fit me. The sorry so and so's had it tagged as a "boutique" item.

IMG_20110328_123848.jpg

That Burberry was made by Gitman Bros.

canuckstyle

Reaction score
did pretty good a couple of weeks ago

some shirts , gieves and hawkes suit, vintage brimaco leather jacket .
but the shoe dept good and bad
dscn1017.jpg

dscn1029.jpg

crockett&jones uk size 7.5 fits like 8.5us
dscn1009.jpg

dscn1005.jpg

tods marked 7.5 also fits like 8.5
dscn0998.jpg

dscn0999.jpg

peal and co for brooks brothers. marked 8.5 us

none of these shoes fit me
looks like i am going to try and sell them

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Okay - Trying one last time to post decent photos here. Yes, I created separate thread which some of you may have caught, but once I found this thread again I wanted to get the crowd here. The basics: Zegna sports jacket from resale shop for $24 plus tax on 76%-off sale. Likely from 1990s but in excellent condition - really like new. European 50/U.S. 40 good, too. Gorgeous, totally silk/cashmere combination with rayon, full lining and three-button. All the right labels and originally from Saks. All sources indicate a jacket like this off the rack would go for somewhere in the range of $1,700 to $2500. So I'm happy. Now I just hope the photos open properly....
Cool story bro. It has already made an appearance in the thread, and another separate one.

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by canuckstyle
did pretty good a couple of weeks ago

some shirts , gieves and hawkes suit, vintage brimaco leather jacket .
but the shoe dept good and bad
. . .
none of these shoes fit me
looks like i am going to try and sell them

Wow! Great haul! Those cordovan C&Js should fetch a pretty fair penny!

Xenos

Reaction score
Overland sheepskin jacket with antler buttons. $9.99.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Olive brushed cotton Spiewak jacket. $9.99.

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Ties. Lanvin, Zegna, Nina Ricci, Kiton. $1-$10.

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads