• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

wolfjaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Neither! But not as terrible without the tassels. What's your price range?

haha i get it XD let's get constructive now

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by badgertiger
Can you get a surcingle belt shortened?

Yes, un-stitch, shorten, re-stitch. Any leather craftsmen (e.g. cobbler) can do that, some members here can do it at home.

smartxtai

Reaction score
These shoes are on sale for $180, normally $450. What do you think?

The Murray dress oxford carries a very smart and sleek aesthetic. The Italian hand stained calf skin exterior looks great with both casual and dress pants. Tan fine Italian calf lining. Made in Italy.
100% Calfskin
Murray Fit: A slimmer and slightly elongated shape, this shoe has a pointed, yet rounded toe silhouette.
100% hand stained leather sole with embossed john varvatos logo on waist of outsole.
Oxford Lace-up

john-varvatos-murray-dress-oxford.jpg

F873H4_Murray_Dress_Oxford_DkBrn_Top_lg.gif

Joemero

Reaction score
I'm about to pick up a couple Men's Wearhouse suits...should I get the supercrease for the slacks or pass?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smartxtai

The Murray dress oxford carries a very smart and sleek aesthetic. The Italian hand stained calf skin exterior looks great with both casual and dress pants. Tan fine Italian calf lining. Made in Italy.
100% Calfskin
Murray Fit: A slimmer and slightly elongated shape, this shoe has a pointed, yet rounded toe silhouette.
100% hand stained leather sole with embossed john varvatos logo on waist of outsole.
Oxford Lace-up

john-varvatos-murray-dress-oxford.jpg

F873H4_Murray_Dress_Oxford_DkBrn_Top_lg.gif

They look fine, and if you like them and can drop $200 go for it. I have owned one pair of JV dessert boots that were made in Italy and have held up well (but admittedly not great). The "embossed john varvatos logo on waist of outsole" comment strikes me a bit pretentious thing to say - so now everyone can see how cool you are when you put your feet up on your desk.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

boston_bred

Reaction score
recently picked these up at a consignment store and havent been able to identify the model (Looked of their website, ebay etc.) any help?

Also it looks like the previous owner had new soles put on, what is the best way to address/describe that in a FS thread I think they might be rubber?

DSC02926.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

DSC02921.jpg

DSC02919.jpg

DSC02918.jpg

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a beautiful pair of John Lobb "Langton" oxfords, 8E 1105 Last from Dr. No

Just need some trees for them now. Does anyone know if JL trees are lasted? Also - what price are they roughly?

TIA!

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes not-too-expensive olive/dark green dress shirts? Google is no help. LEC has oxfords but the collar is too small. The color looks awesome with my complexion, but i can't find anything that isn't from Men's warehouse or doesn't have a buttoned front pocket.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boston_bred
recently picked these up at a consignment store and havent been able to identify the model (Looked of their website, ebay etc.) any help?

Also it looks like the previous owner had new soles put on, what is the best way to address/describe that in a FS thread I think they might be rubber?

Just include the photos of the sole of the shoe. It should be obvious to any potential buyer that they were resoled and that the sole is rubber.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smartxtai

100% Calfskin
Oxford Lace-up

Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
They look fine, and if you like them and can drop $200 go for it. I have owned one pair of JV dessert boots that were made in Italy and have held up well (but admittedly not great). The "embossed john varvatos logo on waist of outsole" comment strikes me a bit pretentious thing to say - so now everyone can see how cool you are when you put your feet up on your desk.

Frankly, those shoes are nothing special to look at and not particularly high quality. They are certainly not dress shoes so don't buy them thinking they'll do double duty.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Who makes not-too-expensive olive/dark green dress shirts? Google is no help. LEC has oxfords but the collar is too small. The color looks awesome with my complexion, but i can't find anything that isn't from Men's warehouse or doesn't have a buttoned front pocket.
Are you asking about a dress shirt or a sport shirt? You're pretty unlikely to find the former in that color which explains why all you've seen is either stuff from Men's Wearhouse or sport shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads