• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spoozy
Can you hear la crie de la soie?

Le cri, non? (well, at least according to the odd movie of the same name; I've forgotten nearly all my schoolboy French these days...).

Actually, really nice outfit. Busy, but not overwhelming.

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
IMG_4560.jpg

oh, I like a lot. New suit? Tie is cool, too, though the paisley police will probably complain.

I wonder if a slightly narrower spread on your shirt collars would suit you better.

Originally Posted by acridsheep
Second of all, I never claimed to love HF's fit today (though I do think it's decent). I think HF gave you a pretty good explanation.

biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Threadbearer
And that makes you just like everybody else, HF.
fistbump.gif

Damn my residual humanity.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Still working on doing better. Life of a grad student, eh? I think this will be considered more presentable though. Taken this morning before I'd really made it to my office.

The multi-points square is too precious IMO, esp. with an odd jacket/trouser fit. If it was a little lower in the pocket, it might pass. Even so, I'd give it a miss; puff is my personal favourite, though square is also fine. The thing with multi-points is that they really speak of so much deliberate effort that the rest of the outfit has to be ultra-precise and formal that for it to be congruous. Tighten the tie a little, too. Shirt looks interesting: contrast collar on a bengal stripe?

Can't tell much else about the fit, but I like the fabric on that blazer.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kappelan has an enviable assortment of sweaters.
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Turned out incredibly awful, but my wife made me promise to post this in exchange for taking the picture. I also trusted her on how much cuff was showing. Bad idea.
facepalm.gif
IMG_9443.jpg
At least shoes can't be messed up quite as badly...
IMG_9431.jpg

Sort out that awful tie knot and suppress the waist and let us see what it looks like. I have a feeling it's a little long in the shoulders (maybe you're holding your shoulders up in some kinda robopose? Seems odd that they draw a straight line like that. Makes you look like domokun.) I also think your wife was ok on the cuffs. They're on the long side of fine to my eye. And shoes can be disastrously messed up, you just didn't do so. I think you have a lot of good pieces that need a little tailoring. EDIT: And get a pocketsquare. Navy suits are horrendously boring if you don't do anything fun with them.

dplows

Reaction score
Going to make two post so that I can actually PM people, so don't mind me, usually a lurker
Orgetorix, like you said, that looks way too tight around the waist, your stance and just general look of discomfort might contribute to that though.

dplows

Reaction score
Still working on doing better. Life of a grad student, eh? I think this will be considered more presentable though. Taken this morning before I'd really made it to my office.
And I would say that this doesn't look anywhere near fitted enough around the waist that's just me though

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
The multi-points square is too precious IMO, esp. with an odd jacket/trouser fit. If it was a little lower in the pocket, it might pass. Even so, I'd give it a miss; puff is my personal favourite, though square is also fine. The thing with multi-points is that they really speak of so much deliberate effort that the rest of the outfit has to be ultra-precise and formal that for it to be congruous. Tighten the tie a little, too. Shirt looks interesting: contrast collar on a bengal stripe? Can't tell much else about the fit, but I like the fabric on that blazer.
Advice taken. I posted the shirt in the recent buys thread recently, so there's a better pic of it there. I got what is hopefully a better pic that I've put at the bottom so that it might provide for better analysis, and one of the shirt-tie-ps combo that I think is better.
Originally Posted by dplows
And I would say that this doesn't look anywhere fitted enough around the waist that just me though
Looking at those pictures I would agree, but I think the new one below shows it better - truer to what it looks like in person (at least through a mirror). I thought about it when it was being altered, but there wasn't a whole lot more that could be done without putting breaks in the back. I'm comfortable with it because it's an odd jacket, and they're supposed to fit a bit looser. Edit: also, shoes! How did I forget them!
166n3tu.jpg
160t11u.jpg
260u9vk.jpg
It's my Lab/Office and I can put my feet on the table if I want to.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Older pic, taken at a fitting.

249.JPG

very "Belle Époque" look cravate with the hair, beard and glasses... i like. where were you headed next... the thÃ
00a9.png
âtre des champs-elysÃ
00a9.png
es for the premiere of some revolutionary orchestral work?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mktitsworth: That jacket needs some serious alterations... or something.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice taken. I posted the shirt in the recent buys thread recently, so there's a better pic of it there. I got what is hopefully a better pic that I've put at the bottom so that it might provide for better analysis, and one of the shirt-tie-ps combo that I think is better. Looking at those pictures I would agree, but I think the new one below shows it better - truer to what it looks like in person (at least through a mirror). I thought about it when it was being altered, but there wasn't a whole lot more that could be done without putting breaks in the back. I'm comfortable with it because it's an odd jacket, and they're supposed to fit a bit looser. Edit: also, shoes! How did I forget them!
166n3tu.jpg
160t11u.jpg
260u9vk.jpg
It's my Lab/Office and I can put my feet on the table if I want to.

Do you want to read any critique? If not, or you can't take it, please don't click on the following spoiler:
First, the good thing. I like those socks. They are from Target. I have a pair. Shoes: I don't think you've quite pulled off the tassel loafer look. The shoes are kinda cool by themselves, though. Tie/PS: The tie is too shiny. Looks cheap, even if it isn't. The PS is, once again, too shiny and doesn't go with anything else in your outfit. It's just hanging there by itself . The way you folded it, it looks like you've stuck a triple-folded tie in there. Pants: Pull them up. Slimmer, slightly more tapered pants would do wonders for your body type. The jacket: Ooooff... It's too big and too long. It needs more open quarters. I'd say it is unsalvadgeable, unless you spend some serious $$ on it at a good tailor. This whole outfit makes you look like a HS kid in terms of choosing and coordinating pieces. It also makes you look extremely short, especially your legs. A shorter, slimmer jacket will help that. Keep posting and reading the forum, you will improve greatly!

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
I'm comfortable with it because it's an odd jacket, and they're supposed to fit a bit looser.

i really don't know where this theory comes from... good fit is good fit, period. now, if you're expecting to wear multiple layers underneath your jacket, have it be a bit looser. form should follow function. if not, it should be just as well fitted as anything else. if it's tweed, you're allowed a bit more looseness because the heavy fabric makes it more difficult to discern subtle differences in cut/silhouette - and, because tweed is often worn in cold weather, when you often need another layer underneath.

but generally speaking, the fact that so many people wear rumply, loose sport coats doesn't (shouldn't) legitimize a fit that is any less exacting than one you'd want in a suit jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads