• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexandcandy
bynum, gasol, odom is the best C/PF rotation in basketball. there's nothing to talk about unless one of them goes down.

definitely . but the other playoff teams have 2 or 3 C or PFs in reserve so they can go battle it out to wear down gasol or even bynum in late game action. we need at least theo to sub in for rest situations and an extra 6 fouls.
and especially when shaq comes to play (who knows) celtics will be throwing all of their junk onto the laker bigs.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
^
I'm quite certain that Shannon Brown knows his role. Part of that role is, in fact, to "be Kobe"...that is, be a shooting guard. Beyond that, I don't think he tries to be Kobe in any way. I also think he's a much better player than you do. He was very good last year in the playoffs and I think he'll find his groove again. At least he's not arrogant like Farmar was.

Also, playing on the Lakers' second unit this year certainly hasn't been a piece of cake, given the lack of consistency in that rotation.

I am not 100% sure he knows his role 100% of the time. And what the hell is "trying to be Kobe by being a shooting guard"? Yeah I am sure Mike Miller goes in trying to be Lebron as a small forward? Seriously, what logic is that?
lol8[1].gif

Plain and simple, he tried to be Kobe, he tries to dribble around and stops on a dime and shoots a jumpshot, that is not his game, he is a spot up shooter, look at his shots behind the arc, his feet are set. He isn't Kobe, he isn't even Rip Hamilton so stop trying to be like those players when he has been so effective as a spot-up shooter.

He zones out on defense, that is why he isn't there defending on final plays, he gets lost more often than not. This was obvious when Ariza was hurt and they actually used on him on final defensive plays. Sure it's been a couple of years, his offensive game has improved but I haven't seen his defense improve. For his size and speed, he should be covering and demoralizing any guards in the league right now.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I am not 100% sure he knows his role 100% of the time. And what the hell is "trying to be Kobe by being a shooting guard"? Yeah I am sure Mike Miller goes in trying to be Lebron as a small forward? Seriously, what logic is that?
lol8[1].gif

Irony, man. As in: NOBODY is Kobe, and neither you nor I are a Lakers coach, and I have not heard Phil ***** about Shannon and his understanding of his role or his effectiveness as much as you have.
ffffuuuu.gif

I think he's fine, and I simply posted a nice little dunk he made, that's all. You think he's terrible, cool with me. But I don't agree, and I trust the opinion of his coaches and teammates more.

As for all the other faults you list, he is what he is. He'll never be an All-Star, etc. He's played better than he's playing now, and I think he'll play that well again. I do think he's better than a lot of reserve SGs in the NBA. Not at the top, but better than quite a few.

Yes, let's talk about our bench bigs instead, because this **** is getting boring. I agree with sexandcandy, but I also see sho'nuff's point. It would be nice if one of those 3 guys showed a little life.

sexandcandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
definitely . but the other playoff teams have 2 or 3 C or PFs in reserve so they can go battle it out to wear down gasol or even bynum in late game action. we need at least theo to sub in for rest situations and an extra 6 fouls.
and especially when shaq comes to play (who knows) celtics will be throwing all of their junk onto the laker bigs.

i don't see character or theo getting 1 minute in the playoffs unless somehow the magic make the finals again. when bynum rests, pau stays on the floor at center. phil always plays a 3 man rotation with them and only played theo/character early in the season because bynum wasn't back yet.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Irony, man. As in: NOBODY is Kobe, and neither you nor I are a Lakers coach, and I have not heard Phil ***** about Shannon and his understanding of his role or his effectiveness as much as you have.
ffffuuuu.gif

I think he's fine, and I simply posted a nice little dunk he made, that's all. You think he's terrible, cool with me. But I don't agree, and I trust the opinion of his coaches and teammates more.

As for all the other faults you list, he is what he is. He'll never be an All-Star, etc. He's played better than he's playing now, and I think he'll play that well again. I do think he's better than a lot of reserve SGs in the NBA. Not at the top, but better than quite a few.

Yes, let's talk about our bench bigs instead, because this **** is getting boring. I agree with sexandcandy, but I also see sho'nuff's point. It would be nice if one of those 3 guys showed a little life.

calm down dude. i don't think anyone has said he's terrible. in fact, everyone has said they like him and think he's got a great future. the main thing is he needs to get into the offense and play some defense. that's all. and of course none of the three Bs (blake, barnes, brown) have been playing that well of late, but it does say something that brown has taken more shots than the other two combined.
and i agree that we could definitely use another big stepping up. bring back Ronny! actually, even a ratliff would be ok ... just someone we could get 7-8 minutes a game from. as it is, we pretty much have to have either drew or gasol on the floor at all times, with lamar or artest. granted, that's not that big a deal compared to some other teams' problems, but it wold be a big help.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i don't see character or theo getting 1 minute in the playoffs unless somehow the magic make the finals again. when bynum rests, pau stays on the floor at center. phil always plays a 3 man rotation with them and only played theo/character early in the season because bynum wasn't back yet.

you dont see a problem with this in the playoffs?

sexandcandy

Reaction score
and of course none of the three Bs (blake, barnes, brown) have been playing that well of late, but it does say something that brown has taken more shots than the other two combined.

over the past six games: 5.7 field goal attempts for Barnes, 3.5 for Blake and 6.8 for Brown.

9.2 > 6.8

sexandcandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you dont see a problem with this in the playoffs?

nope. rotations get tighter in the playoffs, not the other way around.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
I think he's fine, and I simply posted a nice little dunk he made, that's all. You think he's terrible, cool with me. But I don't agree, and I trust the opinion of his coaches and teammates more. As for all the other faults you list, he is what he is. He'll never be an All-Star, etc. He's played better than he's playing now, and I think he'll play that well again. I do think he's better than a lot of reserve SGs in the NBA. Not at the top, but better than quite a few. Yes, let's talk about our bench bigs instead, because this **** is getting boring. I agree with sexandcandy, but I also see sho'nuff's point. It would be nice if one of those 3 guys showed a little life.

Just stop defending the Lakers so much man, I am as much of a Laker fan as the next guy but you seem to see no fault in the team. They are far from perfect man and when someone says something you call them hate. Yeah a simple dunk has evolved into a discussion into his potential, it's been done before when the Lakers re-signed him before Odom, people talked about better alternative and his potentials, it's not hate. You can't defend Brown for the ****** things he is doing just because "he is what he is". Obviously Jackson isn't going to attack Brown individually on the press but he has criticized his bench and that they need to be more efficient, more aggressive. He is part of the whole and the discussion is on Brown right now, I can analyze each one of the players in the bench on how I see them play but we're on Brown right now, simple as that. And there goes the "we're not coaches, analyst or ESPN correspondents" so our opinions aren't valid crap. Come on man, watch him play and pay attention, you'll see the things he is doing wrong. Can we give this a rest already? But seriously dude, what you said about Brown going in trying to be "Kobe" cuz he's an SG made no sense, and no that isn't irony. An old man, turning 98, winning the lottery and dying the next day, now that is irony.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
over the past six games: 5.7 field goal attempts for Barnes, 3.5 for Blake and 6.8 for Brown.

9.2 > 6.8

over season: 255 for barnes, 284 for blake, 578 for brown: 539 < 578

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone see NBA TVs comparison of Final shot takers yesterday?
It showed Wade, Lebrons, Kobe's, Carter & Nowitszkis record from 2006 and Kobe was better than Wade and Lebron in almost all category and percentage. Carter was second and Nowitzki was first in efficiency and percentage. I'm trying to look for the video but can't find it right now.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Can we give this a rest already?
Yes, sure, please do as well. That way the gross exaggerations will also stop, I hope.

Originally Posted by foodguy
over season: 255 for barnes, 284 for blake, 578 for brown: 539 < 578
But Barnes was hurt for many games, so those numbers are skewed a bit by that fact. If Barnes had played the same number of games as Blake/Brown, he would theoretically have taken 393 shots to date.

Over the season, Barnes = 46%; Blake = 36%; Brown = 43%.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well if you want to get all hollinger on it, the best way would be shots per minute played:
barnes .27; blake .02; brown .41.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
well if you want to get all hollinger on it, the best way would be shots per minute played:
barnes .27; blake .02; brown .41.

Hollinger???
ffffuuuu.gif
lol8[1].gif

Plus, aren't shooting guards supposed to shoot? I can't remember what the point of all these numbers is.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That way the gross exaggerations will also stop, I hope.

Nothing I said was gross exaggerations, I didn't say Brown chuck up 30 shots like Kobe, he simply tries to play like him for the most part. You just what you want to read and it exaggerates in your head. People simply stated that Brown should improve and you assumed it was hate by everyone. If we want to talk hate, lets talks about Walton, he is the only one I wish wasn't in the Lakers roster anymore. If i were Mitch, I'd trade this guy for a blacked out ToJ DR.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads