• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New slim fit suit, does it fit?

Kyle Bishop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by N_R
Just IMHO, but on the streets of midtown Manhattan (a mostly-business district) I am seeing a good number of guys going this short on their jackets. Seems to be being viewed as a way of making a definite "today" statement.

Which of the jackets are you talking about? The second one?

Reaction score
well as long as its not peewee herman short itll usually be fine but i agree with the rest and say the first is probably too short and the second is fine if youre going for a modern look

Kyle Bishop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Not true.
If you wear a longer jacket, you will get **** on here.
This is SF. Style FASHION.

Im not sure what you mean? Do you say that i shouldnt get a longer jacket? Seems like the other people on here think its a bit short...

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
second one looks better. more conservative guys around here will tell you it needs to go longer but if you're going for a modern slim look then shorter jackets are fine. The first one's pushing it a bit too much though.

Aye, I agree with this. It does seem to be a trend nowadays where many choose jackets that end halfway down or even near the top of the buttocks.

I actually quite like the look of a short blazer/jacket - but in a more casual setting.

In formal setting Jacket has to at least go 3/4 down the buttocks, preferably covering the entire curvature.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General rule I know is that the jacket is supposed to cover your butt - never heard of a rule involving the thumb...

I agree that the first jacket is too short. The second one is within the range which I'd consider OK (on the picture taken from behind it seems that your butt is covered). Since you bought a fashionable slim fit suit, I'd say it is also fine to be on the more fashionable (i.e. shorter) side when it comes to the jacket length.

Kyle Bishop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Aye, I agree with this. It does seem to be a trend nowadays where many choose jackets that end halfway down or even near the top of the buttocks.

I actually quite like the look of a short blazer/jacket - but in a more casual setting.

In formal setting Jacket has to at least go 3/4 down the buttocks, preferably covering the entire curvature.

So the first jacket might be okey in a casual setting with jeans or something?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyle Bishop
So the first jacket might be okey in a casual setting with jeans or something?

Well, I have to say I do not like how the first jacket flares out on you - jacket was not designed to be a short jacket for a regular man. It is basically a regular jacket just 2 - 3" too short for you, with buttons and waist area meant for a shorter man - i.e. "relative to you" the jacket would cater for a higher waist.

Result is flare out on your proportions.

If you could figure out a way of stopping it flaring out at the back, it might work well enough in a casual setting.

If I were you, return the first suit. The second suit is not ideal but well within the normal spectrum. Length should always be ideal, but if not, then within 1" of ideal with me probably preferring it 1" short than long. Second suit is fine.

Dior Homme is an example of a label designing short jackets for regular height men. Some love it, some hate it.

Kyle Bishop

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess i agree with you.. only thing is that I dont think I can return it..

Should have read more about the subject before I just bought it, but it seemed like all the slim fit suits I saw were kind of short, and of course the tailors said it were supposed to be like that
confused.gif

Well.. wasnt that expensive, so I'll just get it longer the next time
smile.gif

(Just have to say that the color of the suits look terrible in these pictures, haha..)

What do you think fits me the best, a long slim fit suit, or a regular one?

What is the positive and negative sides with both?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
second one looks better. more conservative guys around here will tell you it needs to go longer but if you're going for a modern slim look then shorter jackets are fine.

Suits with shorter jackets are more the trendy thing right now and I think they look good with really slim trousers. Not sure about those ones in the pics though. And really need full body pictures to tell about the length. For all we know the OP might have really long legs.
eh.gif

Kyle Bishop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Suits with shorter jackets are more the trendy thing right now and I think they look good with really slim trousers. Not sure about those ones in the pics though. And really need full body pictures to tell about the length. For all we know the OP might have really long legs.
eh.gif

Can try to take a picture from a little more distance.. should get the trousers that belongs to the second suit first as well
smile.gif

Guess we already found out that the first one is pushing the "trendy" thing a bit too far...

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess i agree with you.. only thing is that I dont think I can return it..

Then figure out a way of stoping it flaring out, and it would look fine as a casual odd jacket.

Should have read more about the subject before I just bought it, but it seemed like all the slim fit suits I saw were kind of short, and of course the tailors said it were supposed to be like that
confused.gif

Sales people are in built to sell products. I had a sales person trying to convince me that there was no such thing as a canvassed suit. Of course they were trying to sell me fused.

Well.. wasnt that expensive, so I'll just get it longer the next time
smile.gif
(Just have to say that the color of the suits look terrible in these pictures, haha..)

No harm done. Use the really short blazer as some kind of trend thing with jeans - as long as it does not flare out because that looks bad.

What do you think fits me the best, a long slim fit suit, or a regular one? What is the positive and negative sides with both?

That is a personal thing. There is no right or wrong. Conservative suit wearers will keep their jackets "long enough" to establish conventional rules (i.e. covering the curvature of buttocks, touching the end of extended hitch hiking thumbs etc...) - and of course that is the way I wear my suits. However, I do try to mix it up a bit and have a couple of odd jackets cut shorter than normal - but they are not worn as part of a suit.

Wearing short jackets and looking good depends on your slenderness and how long your legs are in proportion to rest of body.

Kyle Bishop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vivianjane66
It looks so short.

Would appriciate if you told me which one of the jacket you are talking about..I know that the first one is too short, but do you think the second one also is way too short?

Kyle Bishop

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is the suits on this pictures a bit too short as well? (Im thinking particullary on the one to the left...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics