• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

budget dressing - what are your thoughts on my poor man clothes

boston_bred

Reaction score
Originally Posted by club_collar
thanks for the input guys, i agree with you about the suit fit, there is something wrong with the arms and shoulders. i am willing to go the second hand route but a quick search of the FS section didnt bring up any results for a 36S or even a 34S suit.

It would definitely be worth it to just be patient, It's possible to get something much nicer than the suit in your photo for a similar price, watch the B&S forums and definitely stay on top of thrift and consignment stores.

tom_s252

Reaction score
It might be worth finding a local tailor to take a look at the suits; at best you might be able to salvage them for relatively littie, and even at worst you might find out what on earth is going on with those shoulders!

club_collar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom_s252
It might be worth finding a local tailor to take a look at the suits; at best you might be able to salvage them for relatively littie, and even at worst you might find out what on earth is going on with those shoulders!

i suspect it has something to do with me moving up from waif thin to skinny
smile.gif
, playing sports have made my biceps and shoulders get bigger and my waist is still very tiny, im a very odd size to fit. but i agree, i think the shoulders are too small.

i will try to get to a tailor this friday for them to have a look.

and going to keep on top of thrift and this forum to see if i can get some quality clothes, i suspect i'll have to get something that fits my shoulders and then get the waist tapered in

thanks again, im taking everything into advisement, and for the record i'm wearing my tie in FIH knot today, i usually get away with the windsor (which my father told me was the only proper way to tie a tie) on skinny ties if i tie it tight, but this tie, which is just a cheap ben sherman tie is too thick and creates a really thick knot

tom_s252

Reaction score
Originally Posted by club_collar
thanks again, im taking everything into advisement, and for the record i'm wearing my tie in FIH knot today, i usually get away with the windsor (which my father told me was the only proper way to tie a tie) on skinny ties if i tie it tight, but this tie, which is just a cheap ben sherman tie is too thick and creates a really thick knot

Sure, it's a tie-by-tie, collar-by-collar, day-by-day judgment. I'm a fan of the Windsor when you've got a sufficiently spread collar and the right tie, but then I also had a Dad who thought it was the only way!

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boston_bred
It would definitely be worth it to just be patient, It's possible to get something much nicer than the suit in your photo for a similar price, watch the B&S forums and definitely stay on top of thrift and consignment stores.

B&S is horrible for us small guys
frown.gif
. Been watching it for past 6 months and only seen a handful of items that I see as 36S abd only ever seen 34S once. I see more size 50s than <36s.

club_collar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
B&S is horrible for us small guys
frown.gif
. Been watching it for past 6 months and only seen a handful of items that I see as 36S abd only ever seen 34S once. I see more size 50s than <36s.

indeed.. maybe you have some suits lying around that you wouldnt mind parting with? selling any suits at the moment blahman?
blush.gif

matstyleku

Reaction score
I feel you in terms of being poor and trying to dress better. There's a special thread for those with smaller shoulders. IMO it's pretty hard to judge fit via photos although the sleeves ARE long and there is some bunching of the sleeves. In person is best. You're right in that shoulder is most important. Tailors can work with the chest a bit, but I don't know about shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads