• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Street Style(?) at SXSW

pfurey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
Agreed re: parties. I'm going to a South Philly hipster party tonight

I live in the most baller area of Philly. If you want to grab a beer let me know, son.

juliank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saul Silver
Yeah, because Woodstock had such amazing fashunz. And the 80's had such amazing fashion with eyeliner, mascara and hairspray. And Kirt Cobain was such an amazing fashionista. Uh-huh.

Plus, you need to differentiate between music fans and musicians themselves. Yes, these fans tend to do the typical hipster thrift store skinny jeans look, but the actual acts themselves as SXSW usually tend to bring something to the table style-wise.

All styles of music from early rock n roll, 60's psychedelia and mod music, 70's punk, glam, funk, 80's new wave, downtown NYC fashion when hip-hop, post punk, avant garde, disco, and reggae combined has had some serious influence on fashion... in a good way. I could name HUNDREDS of musicians within all these styles of music that have pushed fashion forward.

Of course, the concert goers are only going to be a pale reflection of this but still.. I have been watching videos of live Kraftwerk concerts from the 70s and the kids at those shows had the right idea fashion wise. Look at photos of music shows in downtown NYC in the early 80s and you will see so much that is being copied by designers today. However, the stuff on display here is an eye-sore, regressive, lazy, and worse than all these things; not creative and NOT FUN.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Did you spend all your money? Good. Now get the **** back to Eagle Rock and Greenpoint.

Hipsters have been priced out of neighborhoods like Williamsburg and Silverlake.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfurey
I live in the most baller area of Philly. If you want to grab a beer let me know, son.

Ha ha, yeah man, anytime. Just not this week. This week sucks.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juliank
All styles of music from early rock n roll, 60's psychedelia and mod music, 70's punk, glam, funk, 80's new wave, downtown NYC fashion when hip-hop, post punk, avant garde, disco, and reggae combined has had some serious influence on fashion... in a good way. I could name HUNDREDS of musicians within all these styles of music that have pushed fashion forward.

Of course, the concert goers are only going to be a pale reflection of this but still.. I have been watching videos of live Kraftwerk concerts from the 70s and the kids at those shows had the right idea fashion wise. Look at photos of music shows in downtown NYC in the early 80s and you will see so much that is being copied by designers today. However, the stuff on display here is an eye-sore, regressive, lazy, and worse than all these things; not creative and NOT FUN.

good point, I hate this hipster anti-fashion bullshit. This is regressive indeed, thank you for articulating this better as I didn't have enough knowledge to give specific details about music movements influences.

This kind of **** also plagues art now...Art is a bit embarassing now, and I blame it on how apathetic and nihilistic postmodern society has become.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
this country is so culturally devoid, its pretty awful going through these pictures.

ah yes, the arbiter of culture speaks

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, some bumfuck english teacher from virginia is

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
pretty annoyed by the recent popularity of lazy "street style" being lauded as some type of authenticity

For real.

Originally Posted by Lane
good point, I hate this hipster anti-fashion bullshit. This is regressive indeed, thank you for articulating this better as I didn't have enough knowledge to give specific details about music movements influences.

This kind of **** also plagues art now...Art is a bit embarassing now, and I blame it on how apathetic and nihilistic postmodern society has become.

This is a weird generalization to make. Do you go to many modern art exhibitions at all? Not even going to comment on the next clause, or speculate on the role the word "postmodern" plays in that sentence.

But whatever though.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
What the **** has happened to Austin since I left?
Well, it's got a Ferrari dealership, now.
plain.gif

King Leer

Reaction score
Hipsters are usually the ones who support these so-called "singers" who sound as if they're using the microphone to brush their teeth.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
It's funny the NYT decided to pay someone for this filler.

I could have taken these same pictures at a Wal-Mart near any college anywhere.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. Two of the people in the spread are friends from Baltimore. Actually just got off a bus with the guy in the middle of the last picture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics