• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see you posting, W! Outfit looks pretty good. Some more waist suppression wouldn't be amiss, if it can be done without making it too tight.

Me today - an example, perhaps, of too much waist suppression
blush.gif
:

DSCF7484.jpg
DSCF7479.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ awesome tie O. Let me guess... dollar-fifty?
smile.gif
I wish I could find nice items the way you do. Fred49, mktitsworth - thanks guys.
Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Pwn
edit: If I can ask though, what's really different between what I'm wearing and say, Holdfast's tie and PS combo? Both items he's wearing strike me as fairly bold. I'm not really asking to be defensive, I'm honestly just trying to figure out why his choice "works" but mine apparently doesn't.
I'm not going to get into which works better, because that's not what I'm about, but if it's any use, I would find your new tie is really difficult to wear with almost anything. Perhaps an evening look, maybe. I think the hardest thing I would find about it is that regularly spaced patterns are much simpler to co-ordinate as opposed to the alternating bands of flowers and stripes of your tie. The square is much easier to use, but I'd be tempted to reserve it for casual looks with tweeds/donegals and the like (or, again, night-time rather than day looks).
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
Man, you have some great jackets.

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I'm not going to get into which works better, because that's not what I'm about, but if it's any use, I would find your new tie is really difficult to wear with almost anything. Perhaps an evening look, maybe. I think the hardest thing I would find about it is that regularly spaced patterns are much simpler to co-ordinate as opposed to the alternating bands of flowers and stripes of your tie. The square is much easier to use, but I'd be tempted to reserve it for casual looks with tweeds/donegals and the like (or, again, night-time rather than day looks).
First let me say thanks for the advice. Second, if I keep asking what I'm about to ask, people are going to stop responding to me.
uhoh.gif
Third, why? I get that the pattern might be a bit hard to match, so I'd likely end up wearing it mostly with solid shirts like today. I'm really just not sure what it is about the tie or PS that makes them more evening-appropriate. Like I said, I'm really not trying to be defensive, it's just that sometimes I feel like I don't really get the rules. But I don't want to just mindlessly do whatever you all tell me to do; I'm trying to better understand the principles behind the advice you're giving, so I can try to apply said principles in my own way. I feel like I'm picking up quite a bit just seeing the different fits you all post every day, but sometimes I think we all need it just spelled out for us.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, OK, but bear in mind that I'm now retrofitting a logical explanation to fit my intuitive emotional vibe about that tie and square, so a lot of this is pure rationalisation:

Regularly spaced patterns "feel" more formal than irregular patterns. The more irregular the pattern, the more informal they feel. My tie has some irregularity, but from a distance, it's essentially regular. From a distance, yours remains irregular. If nothing else, that automatically makes it feel more casual. However, the dark colour of the tie and its smoothness/sheen both actively fight that informality. As a general rule, darker ties "feel" a bit more formal to me than lighter ones (silvery-grey excepted due to traditional formal imagery with this colour). So you have a formally coloured tie, with an informal pattern. That makes it feel incongrous to me. That incongruity could probably be subsumed by an evening look, but I would find it difficult to wear even in that context.

The square is a hot colour that could go nicely with textured mid-greys (hence my suggestion of a donegal) and also the diversity of colours to be found in some tweeds. The textural contrast between smooth silk and rough fabric would also be pleasing. The colour is strong enough to be a flashy accent with a dark evening look too.

Hope that helps. Do remember that to some extent the above is all "made-up" in the sense that I only thought about it consciously just now to explain my intuitive sense of what didn't add up. Others may have a different "logic" to how they choose items to pair, so I would encourage more viewpoints to post.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the comments guys. Mike - check your PM.
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
stilm-2011-03-25-1.JPG

surprised this isn't getting a lot of love. this is odd jacket and jeans done VERY well. nicely played SG.
Nii - that looks like a great suit. Given that bold fabric, I think you may be intrigued by a suit I just got back from alterations today. Will probably wear it tomorrow.
lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Well, OK, but bear in mind that I'm now retrofitting a logical explanation to fit my intuitive emotional vibe about that tie and square, so a lot of this is pure rationalisation:

Regularly spaced patterns "feel" more formal than irregular patterns. The more irregular the pattern, the more informal they feel. My tie has some irregularity, but from a distance, it's essentially regular. From a distance, yours remains irregular. If nothing else, that automatically makes it feel more casual. However, the dark colour of the tie and its smoothness/sheen both actively fight that informality. As a general rule, darker ties "feel" a bit more formal to me than lighter ones (silvery-grey excepted due to traditional formal imagery with this colour). So you have a formally coloured tie, with an informal pattern. That makes it feel incongrous to me. That incongruity could probably be subsumed by an evening look, but I would find it difficult to wear even in that context.

The square is a hot colour that could go nicely with textured mid-greys (hence my suggestion of a donegal) and also the diversity of colours to be found in some tweeds. The textural contrast between smooth silk and rough fabric would also be pleasing. The colour is strong enough to be a flashy accent with a dark evening look too.

Hope that helps. Do remember that to some extent the above is all "made-up" in the sense that I only thought about it consciously just now to explain my intuitive sense of what didn't add up. Others may have a different "logic" to how they choose items to pair, so I would encourage more viewpoints to post.

Awesome! I really appreciate it. I get what you're saying about trying to put an intuitive feeling into words, but until I get to the point where I can more consistently intuit these things on my own, I'm going to ask a lot of silly questions. Again, I appreciate the time you took to write this out for me. It makes a lot more sense to me now.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still working on doing better. Life of a grad student, eh? I think this will be considered more presentable though. Taken this morning before I'd really made it to my office.

1z1dwuw.jpg

qpnvjm.jpg

k0q3bp.jpg

spoozy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix

This is conservative business dress, at least by my standards
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Prestosmp

Hmmm...jacket´s a bit to tight in the waist and the colour doesn´t flatter your facial tone (in no way intended to be racial). But who cares anyway, your wife is gorgeous.

Originally Posted by Tibor

Boardwalk Empire!

Originally Posted by Phat Guido

You need to donate that tie to me. NOW!

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
...[/IMG]

Matching your ps with your little one´s sock colour is next level ****
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Baller suit!!

Originally Posted by Orgetorix

Def not, looks fine to me.

@Morgan: nice suit, looks fantastic!!

Can you hear la crie de la soie?:

5567647545_cd89fc2db4_z.jpg
5568237470_ee0bcd92c9_z.jpg
5567646379_2525ac95fd_z.jpg

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Spoozy, a very nice jacket/shirt/tie combo.

I don't like collar pins but I would let that slide. A collar pin, along with a tie clip too (and a very chews and cheap looking one at that) is just too much especially with an understatedly classy tie.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the real world I get more comments when I wear a knit tie than with any other aspect of my outfit.
iPhoneSFonly001.jpg
iPhoneSFonly005.jpg

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually switched to a flat fold with the same PS on a similar comment received elsewhere. It only shows burgundy with small burnt orange dots. I definitely agree that I should try to restrict myself to one "flashy" piece.

edit: If I can ask though, what's really different between what I'm wearing and say, Holdfast's tie and PS combo? Both items he's wearing strike me as fairly bold. I'm not really asking to be defensive, I'm honestly just trying to figure out why his choice "works" but mine apparently doesn't.

First of all, shame on you for taking anything I say even remotely seriously. I am many things, but a font of sartorial acumen is not one.
lol8[1].gif

Second of all, I never claimed to love HF's fit today (though I do think it's decent). I think HF gave you a pretty good explanation. To me, your tie has too many competing factors and takes a while for the brain to assess. Great design is pleasing immediately. The square is a collection of weird/bright colors and not immediately complementary to the rest of the fit. I'm not certain what I would pair that with, honestly. Olddog is the guy to follow for tie/pattern/square modeling.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Pitch at an agency later, so I'm trying to strike a balance between contemporary/fashionable and credible (buyable).
Very
credible, acrid. Can't tell what color the suit is, though, because it looks so different in each pic. It might not be working all that well with those shoes, depending on the color. And I think the socks should be a lighter color in any case.

Debut of a new tie and pocket square. Also wearing my "test" moderntailor shirt, which is unfortuantely a bit short in the shoulders and sleeves...

(Should have got a body shot before I left the house
laugh.gif
)

I think the colors here work very well together, and I'm not among those who find the tie/PS combo overly busy. I'm troubled by the fit of the suit, though, but I can't comment on it intelligently b/c the photos aren't very good. Tie's a little short, by the way.

And that makes you just like everybody else, HF.
fistbump.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads