• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- a few reasons. I'm spending more time in Sydney than Hong Kong & as most would agree there is not much sartorial options other than Herringbone (which is all OTR for now).
- my good friend (Ethan) has left Herringbone & is currently at PJ's giving a hand & suggested I come in & meet Patrick & have a look around.
- IMO Patrick offers a great service & product that no one else can even match in Australia. The teething is now to get the pattern dialled in.

Understood - fair enough. Hope you're enjoying the Dutch workmanship!

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Great stuff UC, I find the pants to be a bit big however. If I'm not mistaken those are 'Preston' from polo, I end up having to taper below the knee on these pants to acheive the look that I like.
When I looked at that particular pic, I thought the same thing. I've already tapered them a bit, so I'm not sure if it's the rain made everything sloppy, the angle, or - maybe I need to taper them more. Here's another angle just to compare:
DSCF0839.jpg

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Lovely suit and I like the choice of tie and shirt. The gap above the knot is distracting though.
Fair point.

Trini, I really like that tie.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
When I looked at that particular pic, I thought the same thing. I've already tapered them a bit, so I'm not sure if it's the rain made everything sloppy, the angle, or - maybe I need to taper them more. Here's another angle just to compare:
DSCF0839.jpg

Fair point.

Trini, I really like that tie.

I dont know how the silk will respond to it (might show?), but I've found on both Daltons and Prestons that I've been sizing down 1 size and letting the waist out and tapering to get a fit that I liked.

That said, that looks pretty good in that shot!

I'll post up a shot of a pair tapered down to 7.5" today after work. I like all of my FF (preston) pants tapered to 7.5" and while some of my pleated are as well, I'm liking 8 - 8.5" on anything with pleats.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI

Allow me to add to the group hug re: that tie.

Interested in some feedback on two things with today's outfit, especially from this thread's slightly different perspective. Firstly, it's a new tie and I um'ed and ah'ed a bit about whether to use a white shirt or the blue one you see. I'm guessing a good compromise would have been to stay with blue, but use a lighter shade? Secondly, I was also equivocal about whether to go for these shoes or black ones. The CBDite angle would be black shoes, but leaving that to one side, since I wasn't going for conservative business dress today, do the brown shoes work at all with it? I don't wear this pair all that often...

WDrtU.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C - brown shoes work but not that shade.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
C - brown shoes work but not that shade.
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I don't wear this pair all that often...

Effect, and cause.
laugh.gif

Darker brown would have been better, you think?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Holdfast, I like the colors of that tie, the pattern not so much. The shirt is fine with it.

Agree that brown shoes with less red tone would be better.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Redwoood.

Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
DSCF0839.jpg

Part of the problem is with photography. In real life the trousers have movement (be it from your motion or the breeze). Cameras also highlight creases, folds etc. because of the increased contrast (and in camera or post-processing sharpening) - this is particularly noticeable with lighter colours.

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

[/SPOILER]

Very restrained today (and that's not a criticism
wink.gif
).
Originally Posted by Holdfast

Interested in some feedback on two things with today's outfit, especially from this thread's slightly different perspective. Firstly, it's a new tie and I um'ed and ah'ed a bit about whether to use a white shirt or the blue one you see. I'm guessing a good compromise would have been to stay with blue, but use a lighter shade? Secondly, I was also equivocal about whether to go for these shoes or black ones. The CBDite angle would be black shoes, but leaving that to one side, since I wasn't going for conservative business dress today, do the brown shoes work at all with it? I don't wear this pair all that often...

WDrtU.jpg
Shirt is fine (and I think white or pale blue would work okay too). I don't actively dislike those shoes with the suit, but agree with Manton that they're a tad red.
Originally Posted by Fred49
Fred28-002.jpg
My only nit-pick is with the square's fold.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
I know the jacket is snug. Working on that.

Nice tie. Jacket is just over the borderline into snug, but I've seen much worse
smile.gif
Something is causing a crease in your pocket creating a vertical line that is emphasing your thigh width. I'm trying to get out of the habit of carrying stuff in my pockets as it's a problem I frequently have
smile.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Holdfast, I like the colors of that tie, the pattern not so much. The shirt is fine with it. Agree that brown shoes with less red tone would be better.
Shirt is fine (and I think white or pale blue would work okay too). I don't actively dislike those shoes with the suit, but agree with Manton that they're a tad red.
Thanks, both. That shirt is a funny thing. Sometimes it just seems *too* blue but from a distance, I really like it. Regarding the shoes, while I have the thread's transient attention, what sort of outfits would you wear them with? They're one of my less worn pairs, despite owning them for longer than most other pairs I have, and I'd like to find more options for them. They're pretty much the colour you see in the photo, and are half-brogues with a medallion. I wear them with dark-ish cords sometimes, and occasionally tan cotton trousers, and that's about it.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Redwoood.

Part of the problem is with photography. In real life the trousers have movement (be it from your motion or the breeze). Cameras also highlight creases, folds etc. because of the increased contrast (and in camera or post-processing sharpening) - this is particularly noticeable with lighter colours.

Very restrained today (and that's not a criticism
wink.gif
).

My only nit-pick is with the square's fold.

not my best
laugh.gif

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another business trip - this time Chicago. I get more comments when I wear a knit tie than with any other aspect of my outfit.

iPhoneSFonly001.jpg

iPhoneSFonly005.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads