• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quit soul-sucking job ASAP?

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could use some advice on this ... quarter-life crisis alert ... tl;dr etc ...

I currently have what I would describe as a soul-sucking job in the finance industry that I basically got by chance due to the crash and taking what I could find in the aftermath. I call it soul-sucking because it has no connection with my short- or long-term interests, and offers no feasible pathway toward my goals. Because my interests and incentives are unaligned, I'm unengaged, undercompensated, and way underutilized at work. This is not entirely my fault - previous job was like this too but there I had the freedom, if not the mandate, to make it interesting by pursuing independent projects. I'm actually surprised I haven't been laid off from current job because project flow has dried up so much that I literally had nothing to do last week.

I feel like the creative energy of my 20s is slipping away. Sitting in front of a computer doing stuff I don't care about during the day wears me out to the extent that at night I'm not putting in the effort I need to be on either finding a better job or working on entrepreneurial projects. Also my health has declined. I was planning on going back to grad school to escape this situation this fall but it looks like that is out at least for a year.

Given this list of grievances, quitting looks like a no brainer ... but it's hard to give up a decent pay check with nothing awaiting. I've been unemployed in the past and seen how it can damage a resume. Another problem is I'm not sure I'll enjoy working for someone else no matter what the job. I'd like to work for myself but I've experienced failing at that in the past too. And while I have enough $ to get by for a while if needed, I definitely do not have FU money to feel comfortable having no job for a long time.

Ultimately my question is in this situation would you recommend quitting NOW so that I can focus 100% on either finding a new job or starting up something? Or should I suck it up and try to work harder on the next step at nights?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don't you keep your current job and look for a new one at the same time?

Once you have a new job lined up for sure, then you should quit your current job.

Having a job > Being unemployed

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog

Once you have a new job lined up for sure, then you should quit your current job.

+1 1/2. Having a job makes getting another job a whole lot easier.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would absolutely not quit the current job unless you have a trust fund. How will your bills get paid? How will you afford a nice bottle of red? I don't think any states have unemployment insurance above what, like $500?

Definitely easier to get a job when you have one.

bant

Reaction score
Unless you are independently wealthy or have a very nice cushion, sack up and find another job before you quit the current one. At the very least, most interviewers will view your quitting as a red flag.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Work = soul sucking.

/thread

Vigilant

Reaction score
Do not quit. If you have so much free time at the job, use it to look for a new one. Keep the money coming in, and just try to see your opportunities in your current situation.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Work = soul sucking.

/thread

yep. this becomes painfully evident the older I get.

Unless youre charlie sheen. Wait...nope....even him.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
i think your situation is pretty common, and work will always suck unless you're working for yourself. start saving to open up your own business, that's what i'm doing. it might be a long term goal but at least it can make your current job more bearable.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what responsibility do you have? how old are you?

no responsibility, under 28? quit, go off for 2 years, backpack around the world, join the army or the french foreign legion. come back and join your pathetic life and at least you will have some good stories and memories.

good luck

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start networking through your college's alumni association more actively. Get involved. Keep the job as it looks bad to be looking for work while unemployed, however, if you can do a non-profit for a year before grad school that might be the ticket.

I also agree the time to do these things is probably up to 28-29. At those ages bouncing around is going to be MUCH more problematic, even if single, as you're starting to compromise your retirement savings too much and you'll look weird.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I would absolutely not quit the current job unless you have a trust fund. How will your bills get paid? How will you afford a nice bottle of red? I don't think any states have unemployment insurance above what, like $500?

Definitely easier to get a job when you have one.

If you are on unemployment, you can figure out how to live within that paycheck... if you can't, how can you ever figure out to live within your means?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog

Originally Posted by Slopho
+1 1/2. Having a job makes getting another job a whole lot easier.

And the reason for this is...?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
And the reason for this is...?

Because you're more marketable. Studies have shown that the people finding new work during this current recession have been the people who were already employed. It shows that you are of value and that the company didn't just dump you at the first sign of trouble.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suck it up. As others have said, finding a job is easier if you're employed, for a variety of reasons. I had a big pile of cash when i quit a job I didn't so it was pretty stress-free, but unless you have that, it's inadvisable. I also had the excuse that I was relocating to a new city, which made it more understandable to employers. In finance, I think people are pretty intolerant of kids that can't hack the hours. Quitting for a wishy washy excuse like the job being soul-sucking would be a black mark that early in your career, when most people will hold the opinion - especially after a recession - that you should be thankful to have any job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads