• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the restorative power of a little shoe polish!
sebagoalden2.jpg

I've seen much more impressive shines on this forum, but these are still unrecognizable as the dusty old doorstoppers on the bottom floor of that Goodwill shoe rack. I'm keeping the Sebago penny loafers, but the Alden tassel loafers (size 9) will go on Ebay tomorrow or the next day.

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handcuffed
Bought a YSL leather blazer today.

Not my size, bought specifically to resell but I'm no thrifter or reseller and truly have no idea what kind of value this would have.

ZXXU9s.jpg

TUTsns.jpg

zfFSts.jpg

43wEJs.jpg

some minor gunk on a sleeve
k46qBs.jpg

missing the two buttons

Worth it to fix up/clean and sell?

dont want this to be bottom-paged. are these things worth fixing up and selling?

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question for you guys: is shipping to Canada from the U.S. Is it much of a hassle? I had someone offer to buy an item but wants to have it shipped to Canada for the same price. Thoughts?

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
Quick question for you guys: is shipping to Canada from the U.S. Is it much of a hassle? I had someone offer to buy an item but wants to have it shipped to Canada for the same price. Thoughts?

I've honestly never had any issues shipping to Canada, but there's no way I'd charge the same price for shipping something unless it was the weight of a tie or a pocket square or something. Naturally, it's going to be a little bit more money, plus you're going to have to fill out a customs form (either the small or large form, again depending on weight), so you'll probably want to get at least a _little_ more to cover it.

If you have a postal scale (or something moderately accurate), you can get a solid estimate on the USPS site and just quote them that.

matstyleku

Reaction score
dont want this to be bottom-paged. are these things worth fixing up and selling?

Not worth it in my opinion. 30 is pretty steep.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I love the restorative power of a little shoe polish!
sebagoalden2.jpg

I've seen much more impressive shines on this forum, but these are still unrecognizable as the dusty old doorstoppers on the bottom floor of that Goodwill shoe rack. I'm keeping the Sebago penny loafers, but the Alden tassel loafers (size 9) will go on Ebay tomorrow or the next day.

lol i like your L & R system...cute

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

50% off framed art and canvas...I made a few purchases.
IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

Nice score on these! I especially like the last two.

Originally Posted by cpmac7
Ok it took me a while to get over my hang over from spring break
laugh.gif
and to get some pictures done but here it is......

March25-132.jpg

Anyone know what this retails for? or where I should price this at? I have been doing some research and cannot find much....

This thing is gorgeous! Have no idea on retail, though.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
lol i like your L & R system...cute
yeah - it saves a few seconds every morning!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Nice score on these! I especially like the last two.

Yeah, those were my favorites. The first two (different artist) were nice for the price. I might give the bird as a gift and the mondrian-like one was only $2.50 (worth it to just paint over at that price) and it might go well with a few water color mondrian studies that I did in school.

I might stop in again later in the week and see what they put out from the back (or check the other shop if I have time) but the last two were my favorites from that artist and even if they put out some different ones that interest me...I just don't have anywhere to hang pieces that are that large. His smaller pieces were the same sort of work but they lose the effect that the large canvas provides (also they are all a little dark and moody...can't have a room full of them).

If anybody in Chicago wants to PM me, I can tell you the pair of stores that have them (looking at the numbering on some of the smaller pieces, there might be at least 200)--you might might find something cool.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you can, return it. If you can't, throw it up on e-bay, pray that you recover half your losses, and learn a lesson.

YSL is not all that great, and "leather" and "blazer" are really not words that work in conjunction, and the price it fetches on e-bay will probably reflect that.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff

YSL is not all that great, and "leather" and "blazer" are really not words that work in conjunction, and the price it fetches on e-bay will probably reflect that.

At my local consignment store yesterday, they had a new shipment in of cheap 70's suede blazers in at least 8 or 9 different colors. I guess someone found a style they liked and ordered it in every color offered!

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recenty I purchased at a resale shop an Ermenegildo Zegna sport coat of 51% silk/49% cashmere (or the opposite?) - black or near black with subtle brown windowpane double or triple stripes. Soft as butter, excellent fit and condition. Rayon lining. Three-button, four on sleeves, notch lapels, side vents. Natural shoulders. Label says from Saks.

A tag sewed into a pocket gives details as to materials (in Italian) and cleaning instructions, but I see no size nor mention of where the jacket was made. Would these all be made in Italy?
Could the no size imply bespoke? Where would they put a size?

Any ideas as to full retail value? Anyway, I just have to share this: store's price listed as $100 but they had a 76%-off sale so I got it for $24 plus tax!!!

I shall post photos.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads