• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Anyone have any pics of a well-used rucksack? Nearly all the pics on the 'net are of pristine models. I want to know what this looks likes "lived in." Thanks.

mdp0430

Reaction score
Could use your help:

Can someone please confirm whether the Filson Leather Field Satchel (i.e. 252) will fit at least a legal file, bottle of water, yogurt or apple, and maybe an organizer insert for loose items that may be prone to falling out like keys, cell phone, leatherman, change, ipod?

Thanks!

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tv2177
anyone know how much would it cost to replace the shoulder strap? I bought it from a SFer in B&S and the back of the strap seems to be heavily scratched and was never mentioned in his description....

well here are some pics, give me some ideas/advices please.
Attachment 60815
Attachment 60816

attempt in futility
theyre going to "wear" in that way, anyway

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdp0430
Could use your help: Can someone please confirm whether the Filson Leather Field Satchel (i.e. 252) will fit at least a legal file, bottle of water, yogurt or apple, and maybe an organizer insert for loose items that may be prone to falling out like keys, cell phone, leatherman, change, ipod? Thanks!
yes

jobro

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a bag for a girl and I can't decide on which tote to get, zippless or zippered. She will probably be using it to lug around uni books. Colour is no question, Tan.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
I'm looking to buy a bag for a girl and I can't decide on which tote to get, zippless or zippered. She will probably be using it to lug around uni books. Colour is no question, Tan.
I have a zippered tote. It's more secure and it protects the contents from the elements far better than an open tote.

ewsmith89

Reaction score
Screenshot2011-03-24at112232AM.png
Screenshot2011-03-24at112242AM.png
Just purchased this used Otter Green Filson Rucksack for $170 shipped. No visible tears, wear, fading, but small scratch on strap as seen in the picture. Good deal or should I have gone with Cranes/new? What do you think?

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ewsmith89
Just purchased this used Otter Green Filson Rucksack for $170 shipped. No visible tears, wear, fading, but small scratch on strap as seen in the picture. Good deal or should I have gone with Cranes/new? What do you think?

I am reminded of the passage from Saddleback Leather "Dave's Deals" ...

Dave's Deals has leather pieces for sale with imperfections beyond what you find in our regular handmade bags (They are aesthetic, not integrity issues that don't concern most people). The leather was living, the craftsmen are alive. Imperfection is life.

Now and then, a funny guy makes someone laugh and voila, a crooked stitch or misplaced rivet. Sometimes we drop a piece as we're inspecting it and it gets the same dent or scratch that you would've given it, but we did it first. You know how when you squat down and you get those wrinkles in the top of your boots or dress shoes? Well, that's just the nature of thick full grain leather, it tends to wrinkle when the top is bent back against itself... and ours is thicker than boot leather. If an irregularity is beyond what is a normal part of being handmade, then it comes to Dave's Deals. These bags are in no way weaker than any other piece; they just have a stitch more character.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score
Well, I just called Crane's and spoke to a pleasant fellow (who's name I did not get, sorry) who I ordered my #256 from.
He believes I should get it in a week or so, delivered to Toronto, Canada.
Will keep you all posted once I get it, I have seen other Fison's in person but not the #256. I am sure it will not disappoint.
Oh and they have the best price by far, I looked everywhere.

Clyde

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck
Well, I just called Crane's and spoke to a pleasant fellow (who's name I did not get, sorry) who I ordered my #256 from. He believes I should get it in a week or so, delivered to Toronto, Canada. Will keep you all posted once I get it, I have seen other Fison's in person but not the #256. I am sure it will not disappoint. Oh and they have the best price by far, I looked everywhere.
You can get the #256 in tan at Motoretta (near College and Bathurst in Toronto) for $249, might be cheaper when you factor in shipping.

frogger02

Reaction score
Hey, I've searched through a few threads but couldn't find any answers to some questions I had about the Filson medium field satchel (252?). I really like the design of this bag but am concerned about it's practicality for my needs, which are essentially carrying textbooks, a4 exercise books and a macbook air 13" to, a sandwich and maybe a (small) drink bottle to, from and around uni. However, I also want it to be okay for use lugging around various odds and ends on the weekend. Is this bag too small for these purposes? My current bag measures 13.5" W by 11.5"H by 4" D, and is on the smaller side of what I need, so I am definitely looking for a larger bag. I am also considering a Saddleback large satchel (though saddleback owners seem incapable of giving an unbiased opinion) but am deterred by the hefty weight, are Filson bags as heavy? Any advice is appreciated
smile.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frogger02
Hey, I've searched through a few threads but couldn't find any answers to some questions I had about the Filson medium field satchel (252?). I really like the design of this bag but am concerned about it's practicality for my needs, which are essentially carrying textbooks, a4 exercise books and a macbook air 13" to, a sandwich and maybe a (small) drink bottle to, from and around uni. However, I also want it to be okay for use lugging around various odds and ends on the weekend. Is this bag too small for these purposes? My current bag measures 13.5" W by 11.5"H by 4" D, and is on the smaller side of what I need, so I am definitely looking for a larger bag. I am also considering a Saddleback large satchel (though saddleback owners seem incapable of giving an unbiased opinion) but am deterred by the hefty weight, are Filson bags as heavy? Any advice is appreciated
smile.gif

Filson 252 dimensions, 17"W x 12-1/2"H x 4"D and it is not as heavy as a Saddleback of comparable size. I own several pieces from Saddleback including a small satchel. It's built like a tank and will take anything you can dish out. Overall build quality is good and I like the rough rugged look. Good bang for the buck.

frogger02

Reaction score
Agh, I think I mean the 232. My mistake.

Edit: Also the 240 seems like a similar style (I am not a big fan of the briefcases) but a bit larger and possibly more suitable. Would this be too large for everyday use? Also, I've read a few reviews saying that the zipper has failed, is this a common problem?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads