• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Cool selvedge denim western shirt.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RRL-RALPH-LAUREN...#ht_2037wt_905

Great shirt, except that it pales in comparison to the previous icon seasonal western denim shirt, in terms of weight - like 12oz vs. 7oz or less for the wyoming wash one (one on ebay). And also compared to the last season's, the denim has nothing interesting going on, pretty bland actually. But I say great because it's a great design, has a great shade of deep blue and is a lighterweight alternative for warmer months.

I actually complained about this shirt in this thread a ways back. For $220 retail the older icon denim western is a steal when compared to Japanese brands, but for $270 retail for this newer one, well, Ironheart has a one wash for the same price and it's probably twice as good.

And ebay sellers have been selling this shirt for under $100 for a while now. Not sure how seller Hanansi manages to keep the price up so high.

At $100, I'd say get the shirt; at $180, I'd say check into some of those denim western Spellbound Blue Owl is offering for around the same price I believe. Or get a Flat Head for the same price ($190 shipped).

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Great shirt, except that it pales in comparison to the previous icon seasonal western denim shirt, in terms of weight - like 12oz vs. 7oz or less for the wyoming wash one (one on ebay). And also compared to the last season's, the denim has nothing interesting going on, pretty bland actually. But I say great because it's a great design, has a great shade of deep blue and is a lighterweight alternative for warmer months.

I actually complained about this shirt in this thread a ways back. For $220 retail the older icon denim western is a steal when compared to Japanese brands, but for $270 retail for this newer one, well, Ironheart has a one wash for the same price and it's probably twice as good.

And ebay sellers have been selling this shirt for under $100 for a while now. Not sure how seller Hanansi manages to keep the price up so high.

At $100, I'd say get the shirt; at $180, I'd say check into some of those denim western Spellbound Blue Owl is offering for around the same price I believe. Or get a Flat Head for the same price ($190 shipped).

Thanks for the info. I do remember your earlier post. I actually do like this one - the darker color and lighter weight work for me. But the ebay price is a complete nonstarter. As you say, half the asking price is about where it should be.

Rangoe

Reaction score
What do you guys think about these green RRL slim bootcut jeans that a few vendors have on E-bay?

Been toying with buying a pair...best price is at around $100, new. I usually wouldn't wear green jeans, but the tone here seems somewhat subdued because it's darker, and closer to brown. Still, don't know...what do you guys think?

Here's one of them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-RALPH-LAUREN...item20b80d9c36

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rangoe
What do you guys think about these green RRL slim bootcut jeans that a few vendors have on E-bay? Been toying with buying a pair...best price is at around $100, new. I usually wouldn't wear green jeans, but the tone here seems somewhat subdued because it's darker, and closer to brown. Still, don't know...what do you guys think? Here's one of them: http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-RALPH-LAUREN...item20b80d9c36
I like them a lot. The problem I have with the slim bootcut is that I can't figure out what my size in those. There is a more brown version around, too. Pricewise, my gut is that something south of $100 is fair - I really think in the $60 - $70 neighborhood, given how many are available and how long they have been available. Also, when looking at these, be sure to get a good picture of the front, as the fading treatment varies. Some have gradual fading, while others have fading that is so different from the rest of the jean that it changes their character.

Rangoe

Reaction score
Hi - wasn't sure waist sizes varied in RRL according to jean type. I have a straight, a slim, and a slim bootcut, and am a 28 in all of them. Admittedly, the straight is a little tighter but that's because the high rise lands the button on a part where my stomach portrudes just a bit more, as opposed to below the stomach (lower rise).

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rangoe
Hi - wasn't sure waist sizes varied in RRL according to jean type. I have a straight, a slim, and a slim bootcut, and am a 28 in all of them. Admittedly, the straight is a little tighter but that's because the high rise lands the button on a part where my stomach portrudes just a bit more, as opposed to below the stomach (lower rise).

It does sound like they are all designed to be the same tagged size. I just had bad luck with a pair of slim bootcuts; it is probably due to the year-to-year changes in sizing (i.e. lately they seem to be tagged more true to size) and not due to the different cuts.

Can I ask you to compare the fit of your slim bootcut and your slim? Particularly in waist and thigh?

I am a fan of those green or brown jeans you are looking at. I hope you find one that works.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like them a lot. The problem I have with the slim bootcut is that I can't figure out what my size in those. There is a more brown version around, too.

Pricewise, my gut is that something south of $100 is fair - I really think in the $60 - $70 neighborhood, given how many are available and how long they have been available.

Also, when looking at these, be sure to get a good picture of the front, as the fading treatment varies. Some have gradual fading, while others have fading that is so different from the rest of the jean that it changes their character.

Do those things actually come in more than one color?
I got a pair marked "coffee" but they've got a distinct greenish grey tinge to them.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that second pair look like the ones I have marked "coffee" on the label.

the_rizzle

Reaction score
hi everyone - new to this forum but a big RRL fan & have been since the early days. nice to find some others who are the same!

Rangoe

Reaction score
I think these are different colors, for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-MEN...ht_9078wt_1139 http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-RRL...ht_8610wt_1139 But I can't tell if the darker brown are the same shade as the greenish ones.
They're not - the greenish ones are 'antique olive", not coffee, which is a dark brown. I already ordered a pair of green ones at about $100 (only ones available in my size), should have them in a few days and will measure/compare. If you like the coffee one, the new brown one from the current season they have at the RRL stores is amazing. Fúcking beautiful color, nicer than the coffee...has some slightly golden hues beneath the brown, making it warmer. It's the only time I've ever paid retail for RRL, I thought, "screw it, I want this...now." Stupid, perhaps, but they're my favorite jeans and I was overdue for an indulgence. The only thing I don't like is that they're straight fit, but they investigated and it just isn't available in slim or slim bootcut. I had it altered by a tailor who is fantastic (and expen$ive) and now it's similar to a slim...he did a very good job.

dastig

Reaction score
Just got this Vest, jeans, and shirt today.
dlqe07.jpg
ft6dx.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
psa > there is a RRL sale at the Field House right now, 20 - 40% off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics